Early recorded HOT Jazz (1922-1935)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Dec 5, 2010.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Just listened to the Bennie Moten Band Box Shuffle Hep 2CD-set again with his 1929-1932 recordings and still found the band pedestrian, though things improved when a certain William Basie became an important influence at the end.

2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

Plus there's that accordion.

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Jazz of this vintage, as a rule is best experienced on 78 RPM shellac. Nothing like the sound of good 78 RPM Jazz to enjoy. Steve's tips are a great way for average folks to have a shot at the real sound. I can't wait to get a new metal idler wheel for my Lenco L 70 (John R.T. Davies used a Lenco turntable for his transfers) and it's variable speed capability is just what is desired for older pre speed standardized 78 material. Wire up some new audio cables, clean and lubricate bearings where needed, and install a cartridge with a 78 stylus and be transported back to the Jazz age. Thanks for useful early jazz artists to look for.

4. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

take a small recording device with you.

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Oh yes, forgot about that. Awful, it's an instrument I really hate.

6. fuzzbo

fuzzbo Forum Resident

Pianist Butch Thompson, a fantastic stride and ragtime player, hosts a show called Jazz Originals on our local jazz station (KBEM 88.5 FM) that is worth checking out. You can also stream online if you're not fortunate enough to live in the Twin Cities.

http://jazz88.mpls.k12.mn.us/jazz_originals_3

I was introduced to the playing of clarinetist George Lewis via Butch's program, which led me to this recording.

7. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Enjoyed reviewing this thread. I had been listening to Red Nichols and Miff Mole on an old LP compilation called The Thesaurus of Classic Jazz, which I bought a few weeks ago, and bought the first of the Jazz Oracle sets covering Red Nichols' Brunswick sessions. Based on the advice and thoughts here, I've been discovering the likes of Bennie Moten, McKinney's Cotton Pickers, Tiny Parham and others via Spotify. I picked up a couple Swaggie LP releases of Tiny Parham's work and am considering a purchase of Moten's Victor recordings on the Frog label. I wish the Jazz Oracle CDs were on Spotify. I am, for example, potentially interested in the Jack Purvis collection, but I'd have to listen to at least some of the tracks first.

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Totally forgot writing this! Some great music back then!

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

My Parlophone 78 of this is mislabeled as Louis Armstrong. Any doof can tell that's not Louie.

10. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Thanks for the contributions on this topic. I've been acquiring 78's of late (mainly local country disks). I have come across many jazz titles, and have been unfamiliar with some of the names to look out for in this era. Many appeared on different labels here. Lots of jazz revival disks, plus the usual swing and MOR material. I've picked up some early jazz disks when I have recognised the names (eg. early Armstrong, Jelly Roll, etc.) or if there was a date. Now I know some names of original jazz to look for.

Please keep adding recommendations!

11. misterjones

The HMV 10" LPs from the 1950s sound excellent, as well. I assume this is for the same reason their 78s sounded as good or better. Unlike the RCA Victor LPs, they appear to have come with inner sleeves - at least the ones I bought have sleeves that look authentic - and have nice, glossy graphics with a more flexible jacket. It's hard to find American 10" LPs from the 1950s that are scratch free, and I think the HMV packaging makes a difference in that regard. However, I cannot say the prices are better in today's market.

12. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

Meade Lux Lewis is among my favorites of that period.

13. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

I love just about anything from Clarence Williams. But especially his mid to late 20's recordings. What are your favorite CDs of Clarence Williams?

Feel free to include a solid link. Or is that a "Solid!" from Linc?

:hide:

McLover and PonceDeLeroy like this.
  14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I think I have about 2/3 of the Chronogical Classics Williams discs. They're all good.

But these two long OOP discs are my favorite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Looks like this site may be gone.

16. moops

moops Senior Member

Seeing as this thread got a kick-start yesterday .......

Is there something along the lines of a compilation covering this era and the artists being mentioned in this thread ?
    Something like a 2, 3 or 4 CD comp, just to dip your toe in ?

17. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

For me the sweet spot is 1926-1928. I'm not sure if they've been mentioned, but I consistently like anything in those years by Irving Aronson and his Commanders, and Jean Goldkette & his Orchestra.

It's all about the syncopation, call and response, and the instruments stepping through each other (not like the big band era when you'd have 30 pieces playing in unison, then the rest of the band would get out of the way when somebody took a solo).

This was the first music I really fell in love with, around age 12, and my first major purchase with money I had saved was a cabinet model victrola. I drifted to rock within a couple of years but it still makes me really happy whenever I hear this music.

Lurgan Lad and PonceDeLeroy like this.
  18. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

One CD/LP in this genre that I find I keep coming back to over the years (searched and it had not been posted yet):

Harry Reser - Banjo Crackerjax (Yazoo)

[​IMG]

19. misterjones

During my foray into the genre a few months ago I was unable to find a suitable anthology. If you'd like to know more about big band jazz as well (or just jazz), Smithsonian has some sets that include early "hot jazz", but it's only a small part of their anthologies. "Big Blast: 100 Classic Big Bands" is similar - VARIOUS ARTISTS - Big Blast: 100 Classic Big Bands - Amazon.com Music » - but it has only one song per band. That gives the collection much more variety than the Smithsonian sets, which usually have numerous titles for each band represented.

I ended up just taking the plunge after listening to some artists on Spotify and Youtube. Many (all?) of the Frog CDs are on Youtube (officially, I believe) and Spotify, but none of the Jazz Oracle CDs are. (Perhaps bad marketing by Jazz Oracle, since I might have bought their Jack Purvis collection had I been able to listen to it first.) Both labels are first rate for the genre.

moops likes this.
  20. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Jazz the World Forgot, Vol. 1

Jazz the World Forgot, Vol. 2

PonceDeLeroy and moops like this.
  21. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I've been listening to this CD recently (although my copy has an earlier cover design). Great stuff, I'm starting to get the hang of listening to this great music now.

The Original Dixieland Jazz Band - The First Jazz Recordings, 1917-1921.
    Remastering by John R.T. Davies, so the sound is good.

[​IMG]

22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I really dig the OJDB. Sparboro was a heck of a drummer! He could really rock and he could play a kazoo solo while drumming! I have a King Jazz CD of recordings made in England that I really like. Would be good to have a 1oo year anniversary box set of all the recordings, newly mastered and annotated.

ILovethebassclarinet and qwerty like this.
  23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Tony Sbarbaro - Wikipedia »

24. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

You Sir,are a Man who knows what he is talking about!
    John RT did Soooooooooo much for the pre war post war Jazz and Blues community its not even funny. His transfers to this day, still satisfy over the speakers. His work on the Bix private cd set, is inspired. Whatvwas that label those came out on?.......Sunbeam maybe. Good stuff indeed.
    The beave

25. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member