Mispronunciations in music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cheli Venco, Jan 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The weirdest pronunciation I've ever heard is in the remake of the old Nancy Sinatra/Lee Hazelwood classic "Summer Wine" by The Corrs and Bono. At about the 1:12 mark - and again later in the song, Andrea Corr is supposed to be singing, "...take off those silver spurs and help me pass the time..." but the word "spurs" comes out something like "span". I never understood why she did that as it sort of ruins the perfect re-do of the song.

Harry

2. oates

oates Forum Resident

How do you know how Aleister Crowley pronounced his name? Maybe it was the "Great Beast 666"?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  3. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

"(A Place To) Hideaway" by the Carpenters

At 1:25 there's the following line:

"Bright colored pinwheels go round in my head. I run through the mist of the wind."

"Wind" should have been "wind" as in moving air rather than "wind" as in winding a watch.

4. Then, you haven't heard Ricky Gervais, who proclaims Bowie to be his hero, pronounce it.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  5. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

I believe McGuinn was aware of the correct pronunciation, but was copying that used by Pete Seeger and Judy Collins, who had previously recorded the song. McGuinn had arranged Judy's version when he recorded with her.

6. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

In "Tangled Up In Blue" Dylan pronounces Delacroix to rhyme with employed. The correct pronunciation for the island off the Louisiana coast has a long "o" at the end.

7. The Absent-Minded Flaneur

The Absent-Minded Flaneur Forum Resident

Only in The Vengaboys 'We're Going To Ibiza' has Ibiza ever rhymed with pizza.

Which was kind of charming in its way.

onionmaster likes this.
  8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Let's move on please. I removed several posts arguing over the sound of a long a and a short a. There seems to be a difference depending upon which side of the bridge Atlantic you are on.

father noun fa·ther \ˈfä-thər\

9. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Sorry, I was referring to the Ronettes' version (and a few others).

10. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Not sure about that. Some lyrics to this song suggest that it is "wine", which would make sense at it was designed to rhyme with the next line's "mine."

Harry

billh likes this.
  11. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Is posting a dictionary entry of the pronunciation, which amounts to your taking a position on the issue, your idea of "mov[ing] on"? Furthermore, you evidently don't realize that your dictionary entry of the pronunciation does not resolve the issue.

12. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

Particularly since the question was never "how do you pronounce father?" but "how do you describe in words the pronunciation of father".

Agreed though that it's a side track.

thrivingonariff likes this.
  13. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

:doh:

BadJack likes this.
  14. bunglejerry

Oh since there's a few threads about Lodger, I should point out that Yaşasın doesn't mean 'long life' as per the album cover but means 'long live' as in 'Long live the King!' (Vive le roi!) and is pronounced with an sh sound (yash). The vowel at the end doesn't have an English equivalent, so no fault to Bowie for not nailing it.

15. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

Except there is not, this is not an "argument" but fact. The sound of a long and a short vowel is well-defined, and does not differ depending on your continent. If they were taught that "father" has a long 'a' and "may" has a short 'a' then they were taught incorrectly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vowel_length#Traditional_long_and_short_vowels_in_English_orthography

16. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

17. thrivingonariff

From the webpage you've cited:

"The long vowels are /iː/ (as in fleece), /uː/ (as in goose), /ɜː/ (as in nurse), /ɔː/ as in north and thought, and /ɑː/ (as in father and start)."

Thanks for helping me make my case. :targettiphat:

crispi and nikh33 like this.
  18. Winner of most obscure argument of the year... Already!

BrewDrinkRepeat likes this.
  19. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

James Reyne, both is his solo work and with Australian Crawl would intentionally pronounce words in unbelievable ways. In one of his solo songs Hammerhead he turned the work 'nicest' into the three syllable "Ni-Ce-Cest'.

Others include:
    Things - Thaangs
    Don't - Dowwn't
    Quite - Qhaht
    Right - Raht

20. Bingo

Bingo Forum Resident

On another note, misspelled rock groups/musician names:
    Led Zepplin
    Greatful Dead

21. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

That's not the section I provided the link to; that part is referring to the literal length of the vowel, not the pronunciation terms "long" and "short."

22. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

I see a little silhouetto of a man

crispi likes this.
  23. thrivingonariff

This is where the confusion arises. My point remains.

24. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

"What is it with you guys??" Maybe it's those inferior Capitol versions we grew up with in the States, but clearly we hear something you don't.

25. bunglejerry

Well, in "The Ties That Bind", Bruce Springsteen turns "bind" into a 13-syllable word.

But "thaangs" is a pretty common pronunciation really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.