Midnight Oil announces massive 2017 reunion tour, 3 huge box sets with unreleased music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've scrolled through some old posts and do not see much discussion of this awesome band. Like many Americans, my intro was the great "Diesel & Dust" CD, but I really enjoyed the "Blue Sky Mining" release and also the "Earth, Sun and Moon" CD. After that I kind of lost interest for some reason and was looking for a recommendation as to where to head to next. I did sample some of their really early stuff and it wasn't my cup of tea. I have the "Black Rain Falls" DVD and really wish there was a nice release of their "MTV Unplugged" set.

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I love, love, LOVE "10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1"!!
    While my local new-wave radio station (WLIR) had played "Read About It" & "The Power And The Passion" quite often, it was a few months after that there was an Australian exchange student at my high-school. Just out of the blue, I had mentioned Midnight Oil, and she lit up, and told my how awesome the entire album was, and let me borrow her cassette copy!
    It's strong personal memories like this that makes the album even more special for me.

3. FunkyNut

FunkyNut Forum Resident

Beds Are Burning is a great song as well as The Dead Heart from the only album I have, "Diesel & Dust".

4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Great band :cheers:

5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yeah, I loved 'em at one time. Have four, maybe five(?), of their albums. I gotta admit it's been a LONG time since I played anything but at one time they were right up there at the top of my list.

marmalade likes this.
  6. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Some awesome sounding CDs:cheers:

7. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Red sails in the sunset is a classic album amongst many fantastic releases from the Oils. They were huge in Australia and I believe did gain some fans in the US too. Track down the original Aussie vinyl and revel in the brilliance of one of if not Australia's finest band.

8. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

One of those cool bands where the drummer wore the pants - Rob Hirst, alongside Jim Moginie.

10,9,8 .. and Diesel & Dust are a fantastic twofer, especially coming after the relative disappointment of Red Sails in the Sunset, which was the first Oils album I bought and it thus has a special place in my heart. The Diesel deluxe reissue features a documentary about the band's outback tour. Another great video (also available as CD) is Oils on the Water, where they play with the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House as backdrops.

And Hirst, being the literary giant that he is, wrote a provocative book, available on Kindle, Willie's Bar and Grill, about their North American tour in the immediate aftermath of 9/11.

Their post-Oils stuff is worth checking out - incl. The Ghostwriters.

9. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Hi mate - three songs from MTV unplugged and other acoustic renditions can be found on their CD called The Real Thing. Its a killer CD - stunning sound quality!

10. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

4 of the MTV unplugged songs are on The Real Thing. Not sure if that is all of them or not.

Saw them live in Philly a couple of times and was lucky enough to meet the band on the Earth, Sun, and Moon tour. Hand them autograph my Green disc.

11. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member

The must haves in my opinion are:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

and to fill in the best of what good tracks that aren't on those three albums, I'd go with:

[​IMG][​IMG]

aravel, marmalade and Gavinyl like this.
  12. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Red Sails is my fav Oils album :D. As Mondie said, the aussie vinyl is awesome.
    Every self respecting fan must have Head Injuries :righton:

I love all their albums up to Blue Sky Mine where they started to lose their spark and and anger to become almost MOR.

13. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

They were ferocious live. I saw them open for UB40 at Pine Knob in 87, I think. Went out there with no ticket and scored a single seat, 4th row, dead center. I was able to hear everything off the monitors and they were great. The first 25-30 row were virtually empty and they still brought it. UB40 were dull as ditch water after that. I wish they'd sort out decent editions of the CD's in the U.S. Anyone know if the 2014 Aus. reissues are a improvement?

14. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Stick to the original CDs. The new ones are, you guessed it, markedly compressed. The old CDs have a huge dynamic range.

15. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I listened to the Scream in Blue live album a couple of days ago. Pretty intense!

supernaut and gregorya like this.
  16. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Three ex-members of The Oil's are in a band called The Break along with Brian Ritchie of The Violent Femmes.

17. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes since their debut on MTV...

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

agreed...they sound wonderful.

Dynamic Ranger and Carlox like this.
  20. John Buchanan

They were a terrific band. Get hold of the "Oils On The Water" CD/DVD set, as long as your player is multi-region and can play PAL. Amazing live band. Scream In Blue is excellent too. The Real Thing is an unplugged performance with a serious crack at the best ever version of Russell Morris' "The Real Thing".

21. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

I wonder how well it's known outside Australia that the lead singer, Peter Garrett, later became Minister of the Environment (among other portfolios) during the Labor government of Kevin Rudd and Julia Gillard.

Marc Perman likes this.
  22. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Love Earth and Sun and Moon as well asDiesel and Dust.

23. John Buchanan

Peter was unfairly blamed for tragedies that occurred during the subsidised house insulation scheme. The scheme brought so much business to insulation sellers/installers that they started recruiting untrained installers, a couple of whom were electrocuted during roof space installations. I remember that a smiling Mr Rudd took one step backwards when accusations were misdirected towards Peter. A very sad affair that was a great idea and completely botched by some borderline criminal insulation sales/installation companies, unfortunately with some fatalities due to lack of training.

DTK, iloveguitars, Dan C and 3 others like this.
  24. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I knew nothing about them and had bought the cassette of it(It was cheap), and then proceeded to wear it out. Took a long time, but I finally got it on cd. Great live disc that packs a wallop!

25. John Buchanan

Anybody interested in the Oils can't really go wrong with any of their original Australian CDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.