Hendrix LP worth $5 up to $255 on Ebay

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by Led9, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

My problem is that all that crap is just going to get passed around further.

2. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i tried to report this guy again but ebay makes it so damn hard that i just gave up.

3. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Tempting. I'd prefer the remastered double fantasy CD...signed. :nyah:

4. Dukes Travels

The funny part is this guys profile. Hes walking with his toddler in his pic and states that he's just a family guy trying to make extra cash and that he tries to be honest.

melstapler likes this.
  5. Dukes Travels

Indeed. They would also ask him WHY he chose to omit the most important aspect of the LP in his description, when he was someone who was heavily experienced in vinyl?
    No one is going to make a listing like this and leave out the first keyword that should be in the title AUTOGRAPHED.

6. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

Indeed, eBay most pointedly DOES NOT have a way for anybody other than the buyer to report this kind of fraud. I, and several other hard core collectors have tried it a few times with another notorious vinyl ripoff artist. She started out selling "rare" (completely made up) picture sleeves for Beatles/Stones/Abba/Queen, etc from Bolivia/Paraguay/Chile, etc. She still sells these, but they don't go for serious money any more.

In the past year, she graduated to fake black & yellow Parlophone export copies of Abbey Road, VeeJay 498 Please Please Me singles, etc. These routinely sell for $500-1000.

These people are a cancer on the entire undertaking. I have seen copies of these fakes being resold, in one case by a seller who I know to be scrupulously honest (when I alerted him to it, he took the listing down immediately, and reported it to ebay).

To put this on ebay's radar, you need to be willing to go through the motions of winning one of these outrageously priced ripoffs, then hope you win your case with ebay. And if the scammer refunds you, I'm sure ebay closes the case.

It would be nice if ebay had a specific performance option, in which a scammer that didn't have a genuine copy would be forced to go out on the open market and buy it and then send it to you. That would nip it in the bud right quick.

7. SEV

SEV Forum Resident

Weird.

If you go to his COMPLETED items, and then click on any listing,
    it says "This listing has been removed, or this item is not available."
    This is starting with "recent first", and is like that for all ending today
    except the last few.

Same if you go to his feedback and click on any item, at least on the first few pages.

Maybe they got him.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  8. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I don't care enough to go through the trouble, myself. But if I did, I'd try to contact somebody like HuffPost or Buzzfeed and make eBay a laughing stock for failing to shut somebody like this clown down, specifically citing some item that if the signature is real would be done after the artist was dead. But without a public shaming like that, it will be just like Amazon conveniently ignoring the fact that better than half of their third party listings are from people who don't have the item on hand, but just list it at an absurd price and go find one if some tool bites on the hook.

9. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

He must need to get another stack of cash back to the
    If you sort by highest prices first you can see that he's made over $10,000 on Beatles LP's "with some writing on them." This has to attract someone's attention that can do something about it with eBay, otherwise the collector's market is going to be flooded by these fakes.

Still, I'm not so sure that he is actually going to ship the LPs and think it's some money-laundering operation. Maybe he cancelled the orders that didn't go to his friends?

10. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

This guy is really on to something. He doesn't claim anything about the signatures, but bidders snap them up. To me, the signatures look as though they were written haltingly and are not smooth. The Hendrix signature in the original post well illustrates these traits. From the seller's eBay profile: "We do our best to be honest...".

I quickly estimated the total by estimating the average sales price for each of six pages of sold items. It looks as though he's made about $150,ooo in the last three months.

The Beatles' "Magical Mystery Tour" LP has a purple Capitol label, but no UPC on the back, so it may be from the late 1970s.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141849008972

It is possible to report a listing as violating eBay policy without placing a bid. It took a couple of rounds, but I got eBay to take down a purportedly original Karen Carpenter autograph from an item that was made in 1989.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/such-a-deal-1989-karen-carpenter-autograph-only-3000.388310/

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    melstapler likes this.
  11. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i don't see any current listings for him anymore.

12. SEV

SEV Forum Resident

Now those are gone from the completed list. :cop:

13. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

His listings seem to come in waves

14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

H.E.R.O.

15. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

SEV and Vinyl Addict like this.
  16. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. As a collector of mostly music-related autographs, those photos in the listings certainly raised suspicions which a licesned authenticator would be able to detect in seconds. For example, the ink would fade differently if in fact the signature was obtained 50 years ago. It's very sad.

As for reporting fraudulent items, eBay tends to take sides with the seller and if their feedback is high enough, I doubt that anything is investigated.

17. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Just checked up on our fraudulent friend and he is "no longer a registered user".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.