Oppo 105D with Modwright Modification

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tullman, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member Thread Starter

I just got my Oppo back from Modwright. I have been playing the modded unit about ten minutes. Even without breaking in time, this unit sounds miles better than what I sent out. Will have some pics and other observations over the weekend. I plan on putting up against the ALP 3910 and the Esoteric. We'll see!

FashionBoy, Doug_B, quicksrt and 4 others like this.
  2. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

I would really love to own one but they're out of my budget without a seriously lengthy time of saving. They sure do make the Oppo darn sexy.

3. Tullman

Yeah, not cheap. I got the Bybee rail and the Audio Magic Pulse Gen ZX options, which totals $3100 for the whole package. I had to do a lot of overtime to pay for this. I did get 25% off of that. In essence, it is a $4000 universal. Great service and fast turn around.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    SandAndGlass, SKean and LeeS like this.
  4. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I've had mine for over two years now (just a 105, not D). Soon you will begin the great adventure of tube rolling!

5. Louis Kirsch

Louis Kirsch Forum Resident

I've had my MW 105D with full truth for about 15 months prior to that I had a 83SE MW. All I can say is you're in for a treat. This spoken by a die hard vinyl guy.

6. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

My 105 is my fifth Modwright player. Enjoy the ride!

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

What all goes into the Modwright mod? And how much?

8. Tullman

Your not missing anything by not having the D version my calibrator said the D is like the loud button on a stereo, and should be used.I already have some premium tubes to put in there, but I want to see what the stock tubes can do first.

9. Tullman

10. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

You really don't want to bother with the stock tubes, trust me. Honestly I think Dan just puts in cheap tubes so you haven't really lost any money when you replace them :D There are some older threads at Audio Circle on various 6SN7 tubes, and even one here at SHForums on some GZ34 (5AR4) replacements.

11. Tullman

I already have the Phillips 5AR4 from Holland and the sophia 6sn7 tubes waiting to go in. The modwright sound pretty great with the stock tubes.

12. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  13. Tullman

Just for clarification the professional that calibrated my TV told me NOT to use the D feature.

14. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I thought the D designation was for the fact the unit had the darbee technology built into it. That affects video not sound. Unless your referring to something modwright calls D also?

15. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

I like the Darbee processing myself. It's pretty useful on certain dvds.

You can add a little line to go down the middle of your screen and it'll process on only one side so you can see for yourself. It makes a pretty big difference sometimes and you can change the % amount if you only want a little bit.

edit: spelling

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Video processing aside, the "D" version of the 105 adds support for DSD64 and DSD128 on the USB DAC input.

17. Tullman

No, I was speaking of the video. My calibrator went through every aspect of video on the Oppo, which he was very familiar with before he calibrated my tv. He told me that the Oppo is better without Darbee.

18. Tullman

Yes, this is why I got the D version. I haven't had a need for this feature as of yet, unless I somehow download my SACDs and want to play them back using a DSD file. I don't see any reason to down load DSD files from other vendors. The 24/96 and 24/192 sound great and I can make DVD-A discs from those files.

19. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I finally settled on Pope 6SN7GT's in the player and a Philips 5R4GYS Rectifier Tube in the external power supply.

IanL likes this.
  20. Tullman

I looked them up and they for $500. for the pair.:yikes:

21. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

Glad to hear of another satisfied Modwright 105D customer. I purchased a 105D with the upgrade in mind; will pull the trigger when everything lines up for me $-wise. It will be my 3rd Modwright unit.

Doug

22. triple

triple Senior Member

The psu unit is nice, the umbilical cord also. I haven't used the Bybee rails, but the simple purifers do wonders for power delivery. The Audio Magic mod looks very interesting.

OTOH, both boxes are full of crappy MKP caps. Yikes. They are carried over from the original Oppo, but have no place in serious kit.

23. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I think most of those are in the old signal path, not the new stereo path that Dan creates.

24. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I don't think complaining about paying that much for tubes makes sense, especially not when you figure how much the player cost and how much better it sounds with aftermarket tubes. I can definitely say that for me paying that much for a pair of Tung-Sol oval plates was well worth $300 more than for a pair of Sophias (which I also have), which are themselves much better than the stock tubes.

SKean likes this.
  25. Tullman

Yeah, well NOS can be a crap shoot and besides Modwright told me what the best tubes to use with the unit were, the tubes they used for demos, which are the Phillips 5R4GYS Made in Holland and the Sophia 6SN7.

Maybe someday I'll try something else. Really, the unit sounds so much better than it did it's hard even thinking about changing the tubes.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.