SH Spotlight Test the midrange purity of your system and/or your computer speakers using Bing Crosby!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Matt A

Matt A Forum Resident

Well, ask Steve if I'm correct. I pointed out two examples of hearing room ambience on the track he posted. On my 2009 Macbook.

2. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

That's such a nice tune I'm surprised it went unreleased for a long time.

The line " it's not through some sense of duty " is a little awkward and clunky against the rest so maybe they thought it wasn't quite as good as the other material.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

The song was originally sung by Al Jolson in a sincerely underrated movie in 1932 called Hallelujah, I'm a Bum and the original words were different, he played a hobo (bum) and it went:

You are too beautiful, my dear, to be true
    And I am too drunk with beauty
    Drunk with a feeling that the arms that possess you
    Really caress you too

You are too beautiful for one man alone
    For one lucky fool to be with
    When there are other men
    With eyes of their own to see with

Love can not stand sharing
    Not if one cares
    You will be comparing
    My every kiss with theirs

You know I care and I'll be faithful to you
    Not through a sense of duty
    You are too beautiful

Like all fools I believe what I want to believe
    My foolish heart can see what foolish hearts can see
    I thought I'd found a miracle, I thought that you adored me
    But it was not a miracle it was merely a mirage before me

You are too beautiful, my dear, to be true
    Drunk with a feeling that my arms that possess you
    Really caress you too

You are too beautiful for one man alone
    For one lucky fool to be with
    When there are other men
    With eyes of their own to see with

Love can not stand sharing
    Not if one cares
    You will be comparing
    My every kiss with theirs

You know I care and I'll be faithful to you
    Not through a sense of duty
    You are too beautiful

Joy-of-radio and black sheriff like this.
  4. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Funny I had this disc out last month and was impressed with the sound....now I know why. Sounds great through my stacked Advents.

I've got a feeling the masters for this went up in smoke in the Universal fire 10 years ago (I don't know this....I hope I'm wrong). At least they're preserved on these discs.

5. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris.

When we talk about sound, there is nothing "correct" or "incorrect". If you don't like a specific sound (or mastering and so on) there is the chance that I like it or vice versa.
    That said, there is a difference between hearing a "peak" of voice and hearing a sense of ambience offered by that nuance of voice: I think (but maybe I'm wrong) that if we wish to perceive this sense of ambience we have to take into account the size of the room, the decor of the room, the position of the speakers, equalization and the quality of the source (CD or records etc.), of course. All details that a laptop is not able to take into account.

Anyway, each of us has his own ideas and his way of thinking, based on the experience: when I said that I have the habit to test my speakers using Bono's voice at 3:21 I'm simply saying that this specific moment is able to give me a fast and instantaneous reference point (based on my tastes).
    Each of us has his preferred "fast and instantaneous" reference points; the important thing is to establish the meaning of that specific reference point.

6. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

I checked this song out on my large system and yes I can hear the PA type reverb at 27 seconds it is clearly noticeable which pleased me as I always thought my system was excellent in the mid range, thanks Steve for the heads up.

7. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Wow that system has sweet mid range written all over it, nice.

mikrt17 likes this.
  8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Or as Mr. S and Dean used to parody:

"You are too beautiful for one man alone
    so I brought along my brother!" :cool::p

colormesinatra likes this.
  9. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

When the CD came out "You Are Too Beautiful" by Bing was only previously unreleased in the US. It had been released in the UK on the LP "Bing Crosby: Rare Style" in the mid-60's on the Ace-of-Hearts label, an MCA subsidiary.

10. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

zebop, black sheriff and rxcory like this.
  11. Matt A

Matt A Forum Resident

You suggested I couldn't hear it on my laptop. I'm saying I did. I stated two examples of such.

Steve: Was I correct in IDing two instances of what you were talking about?

12. Steve Hoffman

On your system I would think the illusion would be quite realistic...

mikrt17 likes this.
  13. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Wow, and down to just a few copies left, too.

14. Randu

Randu Senior Member

This one turned into a minor Amazon gold mine too LOL

15. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

Thanks for the guide & test ! Much appreciated, especially when it's being used as a yard-stick by a man such as yourself in the industry.

I'm actually really surprised to announce that my really old Logitech 2.1 computer speakers revealed the reverberation quite clearly ! ( I knew there was a reason why I kept a hold of these for so long ! (Surprisingly very natural & warm sounds)). I also picked the "sound" up a couple of more times too, once even more pronounced than the test mark of 27 seconds.

I didn't listen to the whole tune however. I listened the second time watching the clock, just for references sake so I could agree, & assure myself of not hearing things LOL !

The sound I heard was like he turned the mike around for a split second to capture the rooms acoustics. So for me, it wasn't a pure reverb sound, it grew into a large empty room reverberating subtly.

I guess I'll keep these Logitech speakers, & I can't wait to test the same on my new Yamaha's, but they're still in their box for the moment, & will need at least 40-odd-hours of break-in before a fair comparison could be done.

Thanks Steve & everyone,

Gregster

zebop likes this.
  16. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

I'm not hearing much on my system.

I've piped the output from Google Music and YouTube from my iPad into the DAC of my CD player, and then onto the system. I hearing something - a boost for .5 seconds, nothing sustained - but I wouldn't say it was the room, or a reverberation space if I didn't have this context. :-( . Could be my ears as well, as I'm hearing the same artifact via computer speakers, and iPad.

I know that Steve said that this is a test of the synergy of a system, but I'm wondering if this is a tube vs. SS thing? My amp (Sphinx) has Mullards up-front, but Class D in the back. The speakers seem very good at mids and high-end in general, but perhaps this test says otherwise.

17. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

Huh. I guess I DIDN'T hear it, then. It's weird, because I closed my eyes and listened, and when I thought I heard the reverb, I opened my eyes and was at the right spot on the YT timeline, but it must've been a weird coincidence, because I checked on my HP ProBook; my bad. (I hear it at home, too.) -E

18. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

19. Steve Hoffman

You never know what will work and what won't. Some really high dollar speakers I've auditioned over the years have failed the Bing Test utterly while doing everything else right. And I have some cheapo speakers that pass the Bing Test with flying colors that fail on the bass or treble. It's crazy..

The trick is to find the speaker that does it all, and keep it.

zebop and Gregster like this.
  20. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey If you eat fiber on Xmas Eve...

This was my very first Steve Hoffman CD that I knew of (and maybe my Orig Tapes Buddy Holly...) from years back in the 80's. I've always been a Bing fan and this was the first Bing CD I ever purchased. It's still my go-to non-Christmas Bing CD. I'm glad to see it still being mentioned.

So Steve....outside of mid-range studies, what other Bing CD's could you recommend?

illinoisteve, jukes and Randu like this.
  21. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I didn't detect anything through my gym headphones (Koss Sports Pro), but I could hear it on the cheapo Logitech computer speakers. I can't say that I would have picked it up without knowing what to listen for, though. With this set up I can hear the difference but if I were to analyze it without Steve's information it sounds to me like he stepped away from the microphone for a few seconds. I'll give this a listen on the home rig tonight.

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I hear the illusion right when he starts singing. It's not great, but I hear it.

23. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

Yeah, but is it just a speaker thing? In your original post, you talked about moving from SS to a tube amp to get the reverb, and in one case, swapping preamp tubes.

violetvinyl likes this.
  24. Grant

That sounds like he's within arm's reach on my stereo.

stereoptic likes this.
  25. Grant

:shake::sigh:

violetvinyl likes this.