Star Wars Episode VII: The Spoilers Awaken

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DreadPikathulhu, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

Yeah, younger maybe, but not for the better. I've always thought something was "off" with how Chewbacca looked in the prequels.

[​IMG]

But they got him right for The Force Awakens.

[​IMG]

Truth be told, Chewbacca is one of the shining stars of The Force Awakens. And it's great for that character to finally get his due. He's always been one of my favorites—and I presume, all of ours—from the original films.

I hope for great stuff in the next episodes with Chewbacca and Rey as a team. Like it or not, Chewie is now Rey's sidekick and I am perfectly fine with it. [​IMG]

How great would it be if at some point in the next two episodes Chewbacca gets his hands on Ben Solo? A can of Wookiee-whoopass would be opened, I would think!

2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I was just listening to Rey's Theme while following with the score and I'm quite impressed with it. I agree it won't reach the iconic status of his earlier works, but what would?

3. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I don't mind Rey and Chewbacca being a duo.

What is sort of odd is that Rey is the "new" Han Solo in that sense, and since she's got the Force in her, she seems to be the new Luke too. And being female, she's the new Leia too I guess.

She's the new everyone.

4. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

A Mary Sue perhaps? 6:25 into this video.

5. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

6. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

7. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

And 18 reviews 5 stars, it must be realistic looking. Ha

Can you imagine people visiting your house and not familiar with SW and say who is that man hanging in your bathroom?

8. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

No.

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Id rather have the Princes Leia slave towel rack.

sunspot42 likes this.
  10. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Good lord. I just made the mistake of reading some of the blu-ray "reviews" on Amazon. There are some really messed up people out there.

12. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Funny. I had assumed it would be Luke in a big light saber duel. But Chewie would make a lot of sense. Although killing the son of Han Solo, regardless of circumstances, does not seem to fit to me.

JediJoker likes this.
  13. questrider

I didn't mean to insinuate that Chewbacca would kill Ben, but he could certainly clobber him like he did Captain Phasma.

14. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

cwsiggy likes this.
  15. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

The actress who played Captain Phasma has publicly stated she will return in Ep VIII
    I guess she didn't go down the garbage chute.

16. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

Even after reading about it so much I still don't know what the hell is a Mary Sue.

17. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

That's not a surprise to me, personally. She's obviously gonna be the Boba Fett of this trilogy. I bet she is hunting down Finn in Episode VIII.

JediJoker likes this.
  18. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

My sense of it is that it's a character that is obviously a stand in for the author and who lives out the author's fantasy of being amazing and irresistible.

Bella in the Twilight series is a classic Mary Sue character -- she's just an ordinary girl and yet this gorgeous, powerful, wealthy vampire is madly in love with her and the whole world revolves around her. The girl in 50 Shades of Grey is another Mary Sue.

I dont get the same sense of wish fulfillment from Rey but she's obviously designed to be a "kickass girl" character who isn't going to have many weaknesses, if any.

19. questrider

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

A Mary Sue for female characters and Gary Stu or Marty Stu for male characters is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities. Often this character is recognized as an author insert and/or wish-fulfillment.

20. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

When I first heard this phrase I thought they were referring to Little House on the Praire. I don't know why this first came to mind.

21. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I follow the definition, but I don't see why it's even mentioned since it seems to describe pretty much any protagonist with everyman origins and heroic traits. How is this different from Alien's Ripley or Sarah Conner? Or Indiana Jones or Neo?

22. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

A Mary-Sue is so perfect and so easily able to out-battle other extremely powerful, iconic characters that they are annoying.

23. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Ripley and Sarah Conner are ordinary people who turn out to be resourceful in stressful situations -- their stories aren't about being told they're special and becoming the center of everyone's universe. Indiana Jones isn't an ordinary guy who becomes special, he's an expert in his field. Neo is maybe more of a "Gary Stu" kind of character, as is Harry Potter.

But people interpret it all different ways... I see my definition is off from this one:
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue

Drifter likes this.
  24. questrider

In the end, I don't think it's going to matter much because we're going to find out Rey's history and heritage in the next two episodes. And one or the other—or both—are going to explain why she's special and the Mary Sue tag will disappear completely.

25. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

This is how I feel about Jason Statham in the Transporter movies where even the Audi doesn't get scratched. There's no investment in a character that does not seem to have to struggle.

The Bourne movies are kind of like this where the protagonist is so far ahead of everyone else, but somehow the main character does go through a journey that you can invest in.

Or is a Mary Sue kind of like a really bad "Oh, come on!"-inducing Deus Ex Machina ?

JediJoker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.