Metallica Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I was surprised also. I'm not doubting you, I was just startled when I saw the 2 reviews.

2. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

Local shop has a 2008 45rpm ajfa for a while now at $75. I always wonder what it could sound like but my 33rpm experience has scared me a little, I don't doubt you dr metal but I thought I read somewhere that the 2008s 33 and 45 use the same mastering.

3. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

I've heard numerous times the 33 RPM AJFA reissues are quite poor. I can assure you, from my experience of owning ALL the 45 RPM reissues (even KEA, RTL, and MOP which were poorly mastered and I subsequently sold), that the AJFA 45 RPM (at least the Universal box set) sounds superb. The separation from the different guitar, drum, vocal, and occasionally bass tracks are astounding on this pressing. They do not sound like they are muffled or like you have a 'blanket over your speaker' like the first 3 45 RPM sets did. They got that one right. Do what you think is best, but I would be very, very surprised if you were to buy that and you tell me it sounds bad.

4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have just spotted a new virgin/emi reissue of the black album due on Feb 15 (Amazon UK). Also they have a current import version though not sure which this is but probably US. Anyone know of source and likely SQ of these (both 2LP)?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  5. Dr. Metal MD

Interesting.... It's NOT a Blackened reissue? I am willing to be that the pressing is good. For one, it's tough to screw up the black album in terms of sound quality.

6. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

So, the current MOP reissue is bad, why? My orig Electra us original needs an upgrade, not only b cause of it being overplayed, but because the mastering is horrible.

7. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thank you for this thread although it is costing me some more cash! So I have a built a pretty large Metallica collection but after retesting my newer Kill Em All, Master Of Puppets, and Justice vinyl I am pretty disgusted with the sound quality. I ordered the Music For Nations 1983 Kill Em All and 1986 MOP and can't wait to hear them. The main problem with the new ones (in addition to many other issues) is the super low volume output. You basically have to crank it up 15-20% louder which really increases the surface noise. They also seem more compressed and quite lifeless. I did not compare to the original CD's but I would think the CD's would win. I did a comparison with the original Garage Days Revisited vinyl which just blows away the new releases for sound quality (even with a fair amount of crackle). I have not ordered an original Justice yet but it is on my want list. I do own both the Ride The Lightning 45rpm reissue and it sounds fine to me although it does not match the early pressing Korean Vertigo swirl copy that I own. That one rocks!

For the later stuff, I have the 45rmp 4 LP set of the Black Album which is absolutely sick and HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! That one is a listening eargasm! I thought that Load and Reload both also sounded excellent on the recent 2LP sets. I've got most of their other box sets although I don't listen to them much. Death Magnetic vinyl sounds ever so slightly better than the CD but still brick walled to hell with lots of clipping. I think it's best to stay away from headphones with that one, it will sound better with big booming speakers. I did download the remastered Itunes version which is a big improvement so I do recommend that. We can only hope they remaster and reissue the CD's and LP of this fantastic album. I also have the 45rpm 6lp Garage Inc. which sounds incredible although the last two records are warped (the 6th so bad I cannot play it out of fear of damage). Anyone have the 3LP set? I am thinking about selling my 6LP set and picking one up with no warpage.

Lastly, the reissue of these Metallica classics should have been given the utmost care and sadly that did not happen. I only wish I had discovered this site a few years ago and it really would have saved me some cash.

8. Dr. Metal MD

The 2008 Warner reissue, even the 45 RPM 2 LP set, and the Blackened reissue (which is the same as the Warner one from what I've heard) are poorly mastered. It sounds like a blanket is over your speaker. Everything is muffled and the soundstage is diminished. However, the bass sounded great! Definitely avoid the most recent reissues. I hope these upcoming box sets are really worth it...

Jam757, RelayerNJ and toddrhodes like this.
  9. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

If the UK RTL I just picked up (here in the Classis) is as good as I think it will be, I may have some original MegaForce pressings of that record up for sale.

I have the Roadrunner/MFN Netherlands MoP and it's pretty good, but I don't recall what the "definitive" pressing is. I think we've had this conversation before though, lol. This one: Metallica - Master Of Puppets ยป

I did get the 45 RPM Load and it blows my 2xLP copy away - incredibly heavy and crankable.

Blackened S/T 2xLP is, to me, pretty darn good.

What I really want is AJFA with Jason's bass, well-mastered on vinyl. I don't know if such a beast exists, but that would be tops for me.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  10. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

You can't even really explain how poor the 33rpm Justice reissue is until you hear an original pressing. I got my NM pressing from Spain in the mail yesterday and this baby is reference quality sound!! Good God! I would not change one single thing about the sound of this highly underrated brutal masterpiece.

11. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

My drummer wanted me about these. He's hardly the type of guy who dwells on sound quality and he told me the reissue of Puppets was HORRIBLE. Shame such a huge band can't get this right.

12. Dr. Metal MD

Glad you got your hands on a great copy! The only thing I think the 45 RPM box set, at least the Universal one, haven't heard the Warner one, adds is more depth and soundstage. Both sound fantastic. I agree though, I would not be that disappointed if it never receives a 'proper' remaster with more bass. I love it as it is.

Yeah, the recent Puppets reissues have been horrible, but we will see if the new remaster and reissue campaign will provide something truly great! If you want the best pressing of Puppets, look for the 2 LP 45 RPM DMM MFN pressing from 1987. Or, if you can't get one of those, a US Elektra original sounds great, too. The recent reissues, even the deluxe 45 RPM one, sound like there is a blanket over your speaker. It's a shame, because other than the sound quality, the reissue was PERFECT. Top-notch packaging, dead silent flat 180 gram thick black beautiful records, but terrible SQ. Also, I don't think we can necessarily blame the band for the SQ. While it has their name on it, I doubt they spent a bunch of their time on these. They probably got other people in Metallica Inc. that aren't the band members to handle the reissue campaign from 2008-2010.

13. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I would love to hear the 45rmp Justice but damn this "hobby" gets expensive! After pretty much being totally underwhelmed with the Puppets and Kill Em All reissues I tracked down the Music For Nations early releases. Puppets sounds fantastic and the way it should. Kill Em All is on the way and hopefully in good condition. Still around $50 or so for a VG plus record is steep but necessary. I already have my go to copy of Ride which is an early Korean pressing.

14. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I would say many times bands don't take the necessary ownership and supervision of the vinyl mastering process. When bands get it right, like Rush, it's great but sadly few a far between. The Metallica early reissues seem to be the norm which is to spit out a product for quick sales rather than put the time and effort into making sure it sounds the best it can. I will say that at least from the Black album on the reissues have been pretty solid and Justice 45rpm apparently gets high marks as well. It would be cool if someone like Sean Magee got hold of Metallica's master tapes.

dennis1077 and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  15. Dr. Metal MD

Did you get the 45 RPM MFN pressings or the 33 RPM originals?

16. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

just the 33rpm originals. I believe the 45rpm are a bit more expensive although I would love to hear them. Maybe someday ;)

17. Dr. Metal MD

Ahhh gotcha. Well, I collected multiple pressings of these albums over multiple years. I got really lucky and got NM pressings of the 1987 DMM 45 RPM KEA, RTL, and MOP releases for around $140 total. An absolute steal, if you ask me!

Jam757 likes this.
  18. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

With today's prices that absolutely is a steal. I am just excited to have something far better than the reissues at this point. I do own the 45rpm Black Album which is outstanding. I wonder how that one compares to an original pressing. I have been busy upgrading my metal collection and was also spinning AC/DC Back In Black, High Voltage, and Highway To Hell last night. Wow, do those OP's sound fantastic! Also, can't wait to hear G N R Appetite, and Use Your Illusions on original vinyl too! Sorry to go slightly off topic! :)

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  19. Dr. Metal MD

I got a banged up copy of Appetite for like $8 randomly while 'scouring the bins' at a local record store. The sound quality, outside of the damage to the record, is very, very good.

Daniel Thomas likes this.
  20. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

The Spain OP I have in my avatar of UYI II is phenomenal. The Korean OP I is also good but my copy is noisy. I have the 2008 Appetite and absolutely love it.

Jam757 and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  21. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Well "someday" became yesterday! I have NM MFN 45rpm sets of Ride and Kill Em All on the way. Not cheap but figured it absolutely was worth it. The guy listing Ride The Lightning said that it appeared completely un-played with not one mark on it so lookin' forward to that! Now I want Master of Puppets but it appears over $100 and up plus shipping or otherwise VG-VG+ condition which is not ideal. I might have to live with the 33RPM MFN Master for the time being. That one does sound sweet, crushing bass, and a nice warm sound. The only thing I noticed was that the guitars seemed a little muddy in Orion but that could be my system (although I don't think so). Lastly, I would place the original pressing of And Justice For All possibly in my top five sounding records in my entire collection. This vinyl COMPLETELY ANNIHILATES the CD version, I mean destroys it very badly in all areas. I believe that those who are very critical of the sound of Justice really need to hear this version on a nice system. I think that one and the Black album were certainly the pinnacle of production/mastering for Metallica. Now I want the 45rpm AJFA too! :)

johnnypaddock and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  22. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Anyone ever hear a Master Elektra Club Issue from 1986? I was wondering on the sound versus the OP Elektra?

23. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

My G n R Appetite original Europe pressing was in NM condition EXCEPT for a scratch in the first song which causes a few skips, otherwise perfect with the beautiful original cover. The seller gave me 7 Euro's off so no biggie. I agree the reissue also sounds fantastic, maybe not quite as good as the OP but close. I cannot wait to hear UYI I and II! Ok, back on topic now!:)

24. Dusan

Dusan Forum Resident

James, unboxing the deluxe 2016 edition of "Kill 'Em All":

Dr. Metal MD and Stormrider77 like this.
  25. Dusan

Dusan Forum Resident

Lars, unboxing the deluxe 2016 edition of "Ride the Lightning":

Dr. Metal MD and Stormrider77 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.