1967 Fantasy Fair and Magic Mountain Music Festival

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shnaggletooth, Feb 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member Thread Starter

Any known recordings from this music festival?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_Fair_and_Magic_Mountain_Music_Festival

The KFRC Fantasy Fair and Magic Mountain Music Festival was an event held June 10 and 11th, 1967 at the 4,000 seat Sidney B. Cushing Memorial Amphitheatre high on the south face of Mount Tamalpais in Marin County, California. At least 36,000 people attended the two-day concert and fair that was the first of a series of San Francisco area cultural events known as the Summer of Love.[1] The Fantasy Fair was influenced by the popular Renaissance Pleasure Faire and became a prototype for large scale multi-act outdoor rock music events now known as rock festivals.[2][3]

Performances
    Saturday, June 10
    Sunday, June 11

2. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

jamesmaya likes this.
  3. Further

Further Forum Resident

Thanks for that. Really interesting reading all the comments. Too bad that the footage is lost and apparently, no audio has survived. Hopefully, something surfaces at some point but it doesn't sound promising. It certainly would make for an enjoyable time capsule trip back in time....

4. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

We hope you enjoyed The Doors. Now let's hear it for Miss Dionne Warwick!

5. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Would love to see some pics from the Merry-Go-Round set.

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  6. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

7. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

8. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

JAMES – You played a show a couple of weeks before Monterey. The Byrds were there – what was the name of that one?

RICHARD – Fantasy Fair And Magic Mountain Music Festival.

EMITT – Yeah, I remember the biker girls with their butts hanging out.

JAMES – Even then, huh?

EMITT – Well, yeah, they weren’t wearing underwear.

JAMES – Oh my.

EMITT – And they had holes in their jeans. And I thought, well, that’s really hip.

JAMES – Okay, let me ask you this. When you transitioned from playing with the band to doing everything yourself . . .

EMITT – You get real introspective, you start talking to yourself.

JAMES – . . . then all of a sudden, you’re not out in front of the biker girls unless you bring a band along to play your stuff with you.

EMITT – Oh. Oh!

JAMES – It seems like it’s sort of counter-intuitive.

EMITT – Yeah, I was a married man.

RICHARD – The Merry-Go-Round was the only band that played both nights.

EMITT – I may have. I don’t remember. Most of that was, you know, you get put in the back seat, and you get hauled off someplace, and there’s the stage, and there’s things that I recall, but it’s all incidental-type stuff, you know, like the biker girls with no underwear and the holes in their pants. And the motorcycles through the crowds, you know, stuff like that.

Other than that, you get up on stage and do what you rehearsed, you know. It’s basically, it’s a show. You got a format of songs that you follow, and you play that, and you know what your encore’s going to be, and you know when you go on and when you come off, and the rest of it’s all, you know, the in-between.

RICHARD – Most bands are probably too busy doing their own things to have time to see anyone else’s.

EMITT – Oh yeah.

RICHARD – With 10 or 15 bands coming and going all day, it’s not easy for them to even meet.

EMITT – Yeah right, I heard ya.

RICHARD – “You mean, you show biz people don’t all know each other?”

EMITT – You’re setting your stuff up, you’re making sure your instruments are in tune, you’re, you know, whatever.

http://thelosangelesbeat.com/2012/04/part-two-of-the-los-angeles-beat-interview-with-emitt-rhodes/

beccabear67 and Hep Alien like this.
  9. tymespan

tymespan Forum Resident

Silent 8MM footage of the Seeds, Airplane, Country Joe & the Byrds

10. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Spanky and Our Gang jammin' with Mount Rushmore? Could have happened! Those Spanky guys were sharp musicians, not just singers.

Hall Cat and shnaggletooth like this.
  11. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

A lot of these festivals, as well as the Dick Clark/Murray the K touring acts from the earlier era, are frustrating to read about because they were jam-packed with all kinds of musical treats. The 50's & 60's were such a never-to-be-repeated blockbuster in terms of talent, but audio,video & often even photos are non-existent, simply because the Steve Allen/Mitch Miller heads of the labels at the time insisted this was all "worthless junk the kids like....no need for fuss taping anything; It'll be just a laughable memory before you know it".:realmad::cussing:

CliffL and Joy-of-radio like this.
  12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I believe this is the one where Beefheart got dosed with acid and flipped out on stage, falling off and ending the set?
    the story is that Ry was livid that, after all the rehearsing, things fell apart so thoroughly.

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  13. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Steve Allen. What a square.

[/QUOTE]

signothetimes53 and Siegmund like this.
  14. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Probably my all-time favorite Stanley Mouse poster was the one that he did for this festival

[​IMG]

15. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Gorgeous!!!!!!!

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Every act on that bill for both days is of some interest.

Wow!

Lightworker likes this.
  17. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Never heard of this festival before, so thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

18. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

[/QUOTE]

Wow, I've never seen that video before, thank you!

Steve Allen was remarkably hip. Lumping him in with Mitch Miller is way off the mark.

Byrdsmaniac likes this.
  19. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

20. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

HA HA! Gotta agree with Steve on this one!

21. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I remember posting about this festival on another thread...just an amazing line-up of artists, before there was such a rigid divide between underground rock and pop (I like both!) I first discovered this concert back in the early 90s when I found a book of rock posters and saw one for this...I really did a double-take when seeing the list of musicians appearing.

And to think when it went down I was a few miles away (at the time I was in sixth grade and had little interest in music!)

22. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

A brief flash of P.F. Sloan's solo acoustic set is in there too.

23. Lightworker

Unlike Woodstock, where I could live without 40-50% of the acts who performed.

24. Lightworker

Or the Magic Band set, where a stoned Captain Beefheart fell off the stage and Ry Cooder quit the band.

25. WayOutWardell

WayOutWardell Forum Resident

Man, there are some great quotes in that RS article!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.