Prefab Sprout CD Box Set?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Feb 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Illness " ah, that extra explains why.

2. alexpop

Kudos to Thom.
    Astute man.

3. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

And don't get me started on the ambitious, perfect pop masterpiece that is the 1990 all-Dolby produced Jordan: The Comeback. Still gives me the thrills 26 years later.

4. audiomac

audiomac Forum Resident

Great band, but I don't have andromeda, let's change the world with music and the latest one Crimson/Red.

5. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

Fantastic band. I have all their albums, except The Gunman, which is the weakest album IMO. Everything else is just pure class.

Grahamstuartcanada and alexpop like this.
  6. alexpop

What's wrong with 'Gunman?

7. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

Well, I dunno. Gunman just never grabbed me emotionally the way the other albums do. I should probably revisit it again. Could be I'm missing out.

alexpop likes this.
  8. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

The Tony Visconti-produced Gunman was a mixed bag as it turned out. But well worth it for the title track (written for Cher), 'Cowboy Dreams', 'Troubled Man', 'Streets of Laredo' and 'Wild Card In The Pack'. So certainly not a lost cause.

ippudo, Sandinista and alexpop like this.
  9. garyt

garyt Forum Resident

I've linked to a web resource which lists all the officially released non-album tracks below.

Prefab Sprout - Discography »

Happy hunting! Most of the stuff should be fairly easy to get via Discogs or ebay, with the exception of the privately released pressing of the first single.
    As a general rule of thumb, anything Paddy McAloon is connected with is worth hearing, the guy simply can't do wrong! The video below is a perfect example; Paddy & Jimmy Webb (a big influence on McAloon) doing a version of 'The Highwayman' live on Irish TV.

Lars1966, Dublintown, davers and 3 others like this.
  10. Natcat

Natcat Forum Resident

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    davers and alexpop like this.
  11. alexpop

Thx for the link!!!

12. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

No and while some of the later b-sides are very easy and cheap to get on CD singles there are still a good number that are vinyl only (or ones that are hard to get). It's a shame that they aren't easily available because Wigs, Tornado and Bearpark are especially good. Dandy of the Danube is one of my favorite songs by them... that was on the King of Rock and Roll CD single. If you're a downloader look for a bootleg called Hidden Sprout.

Once you've run out of Prefab Sprouts CDs to buy check out Sproutless (songwriter Scott McPhearson). I find it hard to distinguish him from the original band. The songs aren't always great but they are often very very good.

alexpop and veloso2 like this.
  13. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

It's good.

ippudo and alexpop like this.
  14. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Home, sweet home
    Sweet home, hard as nails

15. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

First album was Swoon. Two Wheels good/Steve McQueen, their second. Swoon is raw, excitable, almost prog-like in parts with shifting time signatures and challenging, though always tasteful arrangements. It is equally sublime with superior songwriting typical of Paddy. Once Dolby came and added the sheen on their sophomore release, PM just kept getting more Broadway or Tin Pan Alley sounding with denser production values. That first record though; it's amazing. As good or better that McQueen in so many ways. It's a tough call. For years I preferred it because of that honesty and daring.

John Moschella likes this.
  16. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Huge fan and I want everything released on CD even though I have all of it on the singles and stuff.

The band's brilliant first single is on the aforementioned 24 Carat Collection and I think a few other places.

Their SECOND single, "The Devil Has All The Best Tunes" has never been on CD or an album at all as far as I know. Just the original 7" and later a 12" that combined the first two singles.

CRIMINAL.

17. Oh, right I was not referring to the 1st album just, well, you know the first album i.e., the first one they did the expanded one on.

18. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

What are the details on the remaster?

19. alexpop

Yes, enquiring minds want to know. :cheers:

20. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

22. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

This thread has got me thinking about buying a few albums from this group.Would appreciate advice about best sounding albums in regarding to sound quality.Someone mentioned a few months ago that Jordan The Comeback sounded great.

23. Natcat

Natcat Forum Resident

Just get the original UK Kitchware CDs. The only studio album that's been remastered is Steve McQueen which is the album I would recommend you start with (the non-remaster). Jordan does sound great on CD as do the other UK CDs up to Jordan.

enfield likes this.
  24. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Pretty sure "Devil" has been released on CD,some sampler or something.

25. alexpop

Seems to be a Atari STe 1040 with. creator / notator software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.