Empire Strikes Back is visually beautiful

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by matthew5, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

That's the shot before the one I posted above, though!

2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The one posted by Solaris is when Luke arrives at the ridge. Which is the correct coloring? I noticed that in Special Edition versions, there seems to be a blue-ish hue to the Hoth scenes. Was this the case with the original versions or was the coloring altered?

marblesmike likes this.
  3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

4. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

There's so much sexual tension there you could cut it with a lightsaber. Lawrence Kasdan really created some great moments for these characters.

5. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  7. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

I remember buying the trilogy in widescreen released in 1991 at the London Piccadily branch of Tower Records in 1992. These are the ones which came in a slip box:

STAR WARS VHS VIDEO WIDE SCREEN LETTERBOX TRILOGY EMPIRE/JEDI 1991 FOX VIDEO X4 »

Encuentro likes this.
  8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

"Why you stuck-up, half- witted, scruffy-looking, nerf herder!" What the hell is a nerf herder? Now we know.

What Leia Meant When She Called Han Solo A 'Nerf Herder' In Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There are many mysteries in the Star Warssaga that were left unanswered even after the release of The Force Awakens. One of those mysteries, which is probably not as intriguing as the others, is why Princess Leia called Han Solo a “stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf herder” in The Empire Strikes Back.

Well, now we’re finally getting an answer to this curious insult from Leia thanks to Marvel’s upcoming Star Wars #17 comic book (via i09).

According to the comics, there was a time when Luke and Han had to go gather supplies for the Rebellion. However, Han lost all the cash he and Luke were supposed to use to buy the supplies after losing to a gambling game in Sabaac. He then had no choice but to do what he does best in order to get the money back – smuggle.

Luke manages to make a deal on Nar Shadaa. The loot? Nerfs. We’re not talking about the toy guns. In the Star Wars universe, Nerfs are creatures that look like Yaks but smell like cows.

[​IMG]

Image Credit: Star Wars #17 (Marvel Comics) via i09

All seems to be well and good for the two, but apparently, the Empire had been tracking the Nerfs. As you can imagine, the Falcon gets chased and shot at by the Empire. Obviously, the two survived, but Leia is not thrilled with the entire thing. She’s slightly with Han since she has her own rebellion leadership moral crisis to think about.

It’s pretty cool getting to know these little bits of trivia about the saga. Now we can relate to that scene where Leia calls Han a nerf herder when we watch The Empire Strikes Back for the nth time.
    What Leia Meant When She Called Han Solo A 'Nerf Herder' In Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back »

Wounded Land likes this.
  9. Solaris

I've started a tumblr called Ten Frames From where I post post screen caps of great visual movies. One of the first I did was The Empire Strikes Back:

Ten Frames From — jkruppa: Ten frames from The Empire Strikes Back... »

Of course, I could do a hundred frames from this film, so maybe I'll do a follow up.

I was talking to a friend the other day about the unusual structure of this film. It starts out slowly, if tensely, and then gives us two big action sequences before settling into what becomes an emotional narrative that seamlessly blends romance (Han and Leia) and philosophy (Luke's training) with an underlying atmosphere of danger. The duel at the end succeeds in being both an action and character climax.

Damn, what a movie.

SizzleVonSizzleton and Encuentro like this.
  10. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

ESB is such a fantastic movie that even the guys over at "Honest Trailers" had a hard time finding anything to nitpick about it!

11. Solaris

Apparently Siskel and Ebert missed reviewing Empire on their show when the movie came out, but Siskel reviewed it for CBS News in Chicago.

Nostalgia moment: I have such warm memories of watching Sneak Previews as a kid. Those two guys did a lot for movies.

It's interesting to read the negative reviews of this film from the time period. There aren't many, but they stand out. Here's Vincent Canby in the NY Times, June 15, 1980.

'The Empire Strikes Back' Strikes a Bland Note

Dan C, hi_watt and Encuentro like this.
  12. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

13. It was the first movie I saw in a theater. The IMAX in Seattle. I've always remembered images of The Battle on Hoth. The Snowspeeders battling AT-ATs, the Laser turrets and synthesizer sound effects, what a movie!

Encuentro likes this.
  14. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Not visually beautiful and i'm not even sure where it's sourced from ……….. a VHS TV recording [going by the first few seconds] or a TESB LD bonus feature inclusion?
    But it came on youtube a week ago.
    Browsing for other versions of it seem to be much shorter and of lesser quality.

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Great looking film, for sure. I hope it won the Oscar for Art Direction.

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

17. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I guess people who want the theatrical versions but don’t want to resort to piracy.

18. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Piracy my ass. The true stealing is passng off the latest blurays as the "Complete Saga" while taking out information and screwing up what is there.

If anyone has grounds for a lawsuit it is the fans who bought the crap thinking it was something like what they saw back in the theaters on first release.

Until the original versions are actually released Disney has no rights to claim any loss on what a fan(s) has done to capture the art as it was originally projected.

Btw some people on something thinking Empire is the best. I am not even sure if it is second best anymore. There is only one best and it is Star Wars in original beauty.

19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

You’re entitled to your opinion regarding Star Wars being the best, but of course, that’s all it is, an opinion.

Regarding piracy, no, absolutely not. The fans are not the copyright holders. The films do not belong to you. End of story.

20. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Did I say it wasn't my opinion???...though according to sales I am obviously not alone in feeling this way. Chill dude.

Did I say they/I did? But the law does say that you need to mitigate your damages. If box says Star Wars and not Star Wars special edition then it should be delivered.

When one pays they should get exactly what they pay for (which is a limited license). You fail to understand that Disney has no case for damages if they don't put the product out.

21. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I am chilling. My post wasn’t even remotely aggressive. It was straight forward and matter-of-fact.

budwhite likes this.
  22. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

No it was accusatory and selective. Worse it makes allusions to things I have not said.

All together are passive aggressive at best. Not that I am surprised, but at least try to understand instead of just back handing common communication responses.

23. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Not a big STAR WARS fan, but I agree that EMPIRE STRIKES BACK was by far the best of them. Why didn't Lucas continue with the same crew for the third film?

Karnak likes this.
  24. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Unfortunately, this seems to be par for the course when it comes to your posts. Minor disagreements are deemed aggressive. You have a pattern of going after just about anybody who even mildly disagrees with your point of view, relentlessly when it comes to your dealings with Vidiot. Look back at your first response to me in this thread and tell me again who is “backhanding common communication responses.” “Piracy my ass” are your words, not mine.

budwhite likes this.
  25. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Lucas was not happy about the fact that Empire went over budget. As a result, he and Gary Kurtz, producer of the first two films, parted ways, and Empire director Irvin Kershner didn’t want to direct another Star Wars movie. Lucas took a more hands on approach with Jedi and had a far different vision for Jedi than Kurtz did. Lucas wanted a romp with a celebratory ending. Kurtz wanted something a bit more somber.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.