EVERY Billboard #1 rhythm & blues hit discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomstockman, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Is this the same "Stormy Monday Blues" that Bobby Blue Bland later recorded? That's a fantastic song, but I've never heard this version of it.

2. tomstockman

tomstockman Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Looks like it's not - that's a version of the T-Bone Walker song mentioned on the last page.

3. tomstockman

More info:
    Confusion over name
    Due to its length, "Call It Stormy Monday (But Tuesday Is Just as Bad)" is shortened to "Call It Stormy Monday" or most often "Stormy Monday". Confusingly, it is also sometimes referred to as "Stormy Monday Blues", the same title as the 1942 song by Billy Eckstine and Earl Hines. According to T-Bone Walker, he specifically gave his song the longer name to set it apart. However, trouble ensued when other artists began recording it using these shortened names. Walker blamed Duke Records owner Don Robey for giving it the wrong title for his artists, including Bobby Bland's 1962 rendition, which appeared as "Stormy Monday Blues". Bland's version, which was an R&B and pop chart hit, was subsequently copied by other artists, who also used the incorrect title. As a result, Walker lost out on royalties when his song was misnamed "Stormy Monday Blues" and the payments were forwarded to Eckstine, Hines, and Crowder. Even though Latimore's 1973 hit version of the song was titled "Stormy Monday", the single incorrectly listed "Hines-Eckstine" as the composers.

Grant and John B Good like this.
  4. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Practically ready for Who's-On-First routine. Funny-sad.

All of them are great songs though :)

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  5. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Of course, that was standard operating procedure for the era.

Apropos of something, the beginning of the R&B chart coincided with the "recording ban" that started August 1, 1942 and, depending on the label, lasted for up to two years.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Wow! I did not realize this. The more common "Stormy Monday" song is a big favorite of mine, but, when shopping, i've always gotten confused by the titles. This explains a lot!

tomstockman likes this.
  7. tomstockman

8. tomstockman

This, and the next record (which I'm sure you'll all be familiar with...) were recorded by Decca in July 1942, during the flurried period of recording all the studios were doing knowing that the strike would go into effect in a month. Decca was hit particularly hard by the strike, and were one of the first labels to capitulate, but luckily they had some spectacular hits come out of their last days with operating studios...

This one also features Dizzy Gillespie on the trumpet!

9. tomstockman

Almost forgot a Spotify link!
    When The Lights Go On Again (All Over The World) »

(also someone mentioned earlier using Youtube over Spotify - I'm sorry but I can't post YouTube links! It's a regional lack-of-access issue, but if I could I would! Feel free to post them, though!)

John B Good likes this.
  10. John B Good

I'm pleased to post this one then. (I believe I have to 'sign-up to hear on Spotify)

Very nice track, if not what I would think of as R&B at all. Most here will have heard Vera Lynn's song before they ever hear this.

11. tomstockman

Thanks for the link! And I think it's pretty interesting what we've got here so far, "not what I would think of R&B" indeed! Of course, the term R&B doesn't exist yet, but still - I think the Harlem Hit Parade was created for the music industry in general to find "crossover" hits that were hot in the primarily black markets, but hadn't been found by the general pop audience. So far, though - and we're not getting the whole story of this chart just looking at the #1s, but still - it doesn't really seem like that's happened. None of the songs have crossed over, and they're not really that different from what the pop audience is listening to anyways. Here we have almost a reverse crossover, where a song by a popular big band leader is getting play on the Harlem Hit Parade charts only when it's got a cover version from a band with jazz chops (and with Dizzy you've got some serious jazz chops). We'll see another crossover from the general top songs to the Harlem Hit Parade tomorrow, a more direct crossover, but again it went the wrong way - at least for the industry who's reading this chart looking for the next big thing.

Later on this chart will turn into the sort of financial boon they're looking for, a place to find out which songs are coming up and get them play so you have some 'novelty' r&b music on your most popular radio stations, and a place where the industry of bowdlerizing racy record with clean-cut white performances (Not that I don't love Pat Boone!) can look to find out which songs to re-record. And occasionally during some very exciting periods in musical history there will just be undeniable crossing over, where the r&b charts define the direction of the culture of pop music at large.

I find the r&b charts fascinating for all this - it's this weird little place, a stable little racket for everyone involved, but also the finest place to look for great music in my opinion.

CliffL, Linus Vendeen and Grant like this.
  12. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

The Millinder track is the first in your list that I don't own on 78. (I have a lot of 78s.)

13. tomstockman

14. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

You may not have a car at all
    But remember,
    Brothers and sisters
    You can still stand tall

15. tomstockman

So, this song is pretty famous - I'm sure everyone here has heard it, and it's in many collections. Best selling single of all time, and all...

For our purposes it's notable that it's the first crossover record, and as I mentioned last week it's a "reverse crossover" - it hit the #1 spot on "National Best Selling Retail Records" a full 7 weeks before it found its way to the Harlem Hit Parade, though it left both charts at around the same time.

I'm sure there are people here who know much more about this record than I do, however.

16. John B Good

I'm wondering who was the first black singer to record it?

The Drifters' version goes over better as R&B as we came to understand it.

17. tomstockman

Looks like there are two occasions after 1942 where White Christmas would hit the R&B charts again, both times by black groups: More famously in 1954, when the Drifters would hit #2 on the R&B chart with the version you posted, which would then be their first charting 'crossover' single, hitting 80 on the Top 100.

Before that, however, The Ravens recorded the song which hit #9 in 1949. Hear it here: White Christmas »

danasgoodstuff and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  18. Linus Vendeen

Linus Vendeen Forum Resident

That's a great review, I notice a lot of these tunes have great intros and this one is no exception. Great idea for a thread by the way.

19. John B Good

I think 1954 was the year that the movie White Christmas mad the song very big again.

20. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Without a doubt, "White Christmas" was a massive hit.

You have to think about what was going on in history with the world in the midst of World War II.
    Imagine not being able to be with your family for Christmas... you drift back to a different time.

Obviously, Bing is one the biggest performers of all time and his rendition is a staple.
    But... I really do like the Drifters' and Elvis's version as well.
    I know to a degree, the latter two weren't exactly loved by Irving Berlin.

John B Good likes this.
  21. tomstockman

Larry Mc likes this.
  22. tomstockman

This song has a pretty long history, which again I'm sure someone knows much more about than I do (I am hearing about it for the first time after all!) First recorded by Ma Rainey in 1924, it's been recorded approximately a million times since then. This is the first of three recordings that will make the R&B charts, the first of two the hit #1. The other version to hit #1, Chuck Willis, popularized a dance which is always cool. Besides those three, there are two versions of it that hit the pop charts without hitting the r&b charts!

Hear it: See See Rider Blues »

23. tomstockman

Also it looks like this was recorded in the spring of 1942 - just further showing how the recording ban is affecting the music industry...

24. tomstockman

One more thing I found, probably the last tidbit. Bea Booze was apparently also known for playing guitar in her recordings and on stage, less common for women at the time. Which explains her great Wikipedia photo!

[​IMG]

Mr Bass likes this.
  25. John B Good

Never heard of the lady, but a nice version

fingerpoppin likes this.