Richmond Fontaine - You Can't Go Back If There's Nothing to Go Back To (2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Davey, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997) Thread Starter

One of my favorite bands is just about to release what may be their final record, Richmond Fontaine with You Can’t Go Back If There’s Nothing To Go Back To. Just on my first couple listens to the MP3 preview, still brand new, not actually released until Mar 18, and while the 150gm vinyl is still up for preorder at their bandcamp (just put in my order a coule hours ago), the limited 180gm gatefold vinyl package is already sold out. Still so many listens to look forward to over the next few months, and hopefully years, Willy Vlautin's music and words do get better with age.

You Can’t Go Back If There’s Nothing To Go Back To - Record Collector Magazine »

releases March 18, 2016

Richmond Fontaine:

Dan Eccles: electric guitar, piano
    Sean Oldham: percussion, vocals
    Freddy Trujillo: bass, vocals
    Willy Vlautin: vocals, acoustic and electric guitars
    John Askew: baritone guitar, electric guitar
    Paul Brainard: pedal steel, trumpet
    Jenny Conlee-Drizos: keyboards
    Dave Harding: acoustic guitar

Recorded and mixed by John Morgan Askew
    Assistant engineer: Tim Shrout
    Recorded at Flora Recording and Playback, and Scenic Burrows
    Mixed at Scenic Burrows
    Produced by John Morgan Askew

Anyway, just wanted to start a thread about it, I realize they aren't very well known, but there's a thread in the archives for the last couple records (I'll post links at the end), and from reports I've read, this may be their last one, so don't miss it if you are a fan of literate Americana music. Release date is March 18, with vinyl from either Fluff & Gravy Records in Portland, US, or Decor Records in London, UK, unfortunately the limited edition vinyl is already sold out in the US, they say only 500 copies around the world, you gotta pay pretty close attention these days because the vinyl action moves quick, though might still be available from the UK, shipping kills ya though, but regular vinyl is available for preorder at all the normal places, including their bandcamp. Great band, great music, with a pretty amazing run, Post to Wire from 2004 is one of my all-time favorites, especially the 180 gm vinyl version released a few years ago. Too early to say for sure, but this seems up there too. Anyone who loves Trace by Son Volt, or Wilco's Summerteeth, should be all over this.

Richmond Fontaine - The High Country - Superb New Americana . »

We Used To Think The Freeway Sounded Like A River (new Richmond Fontaine) »

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    stefane, Zeki, Marzz and 1 other person like this.
  2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Thanks for the notification. I will preorder this.

Davey likes this.
  3. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Looking forward to this release. Big fan of The Fitzgerald as well as Willy Vlautin's novels.​

Davey likes this.
  4. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Is Willy's writing career taking precedent over the band? Why are they potentially stopping? The song "Barely Losing" is such a heartbreaker from the album Post to Wire.

Davey likes this.
  5. Davey

Not sure, the Delines may be more successful, maybe he's concentrating on that side. Super band either way, but I do like Willy's singing too, which we don't get in the Delines.

6. whatwhat

whatwhat Forum Resident

they once toured with one of my favourite australian bands, bluebottle kiss, right around australia.

great dudes.

Davey likes this.
  7. Davey

They do seem like people you'd wanna hang with, I haven't seen them live and I'll probably regret that for awhile, but one of the past threads I linked had a link to a live show in the UK, and it's pretty special. Listened to that a lot, great stuff, should really be released officially.

8. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Last time I caught them live in London was in 2005 when they toured for The Fitzgerald.

I see they are doing quite an extensive UK tour in April, including a London show on April 20th, so I might have to make an effort to catch that one.

Speaking of Willie's writings previously, has anyone seen the film version of The Motel Life?

9. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Looking forward to this one...

10. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I agree with everyone else here. Since this is it for RF, I hope that the Delines continue. The pairing of Willy's songwriting with Amy Boone's vocals is sublime.

11. Davey

I'm pretty sure The Delines have a new record coming soon too, guess they will probably hold off release until the RF tour is over, not sure. Pretty much the same band, except with Amy on the vocals. They did put out the Scenic Sessions collection last year, mostly stuff leftover from the recording sessions for the second album with Askew in Portland, pretty cool EP that they sell at shows and their site. Really nice opener in "Cool Your Jets", Amy sounds great. Even finishes with a cover of the Sparklehorse song "Sunshine"... Cool Your Jets, by The Delines »

It does seem like The Delines have more potential for success at this point, the debut was pretty highly acclaimed, even album of the year for some. I thought it was pretty great too.

Below is what Willy said recently about the new RF record ...

“This record was written for all the guys we know who have hit the wall, are about to hit the wall, or are in the middle of slamming into it, It’s a record about paying the price for the way one’s lived. We all wanted to make one more record after The High Country. Our founding member, Dave Harding moving with his family to Denmark stopped us for a long while, but we were dead set on one more. I wrote You Can’t Go Back… to give an end piece for all the characters who inhabited the world of Richmond Fontaine over the years. Throughout the new record are hints of past RF albums and nods to past locations that the characters had found themselves in, and always they’re drifting and searching, hoping for a decent place to land. In the end they try to go back home where they were when RF first began. It’s where the characters started and now where they’ll end.”

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    stefane likes this.
  12. Davey

Couldn't let it go without posting the Sparklehorse cover I mentioned, obvious respect for Mark in this version from last year, the original is one of my favorites but I love this one too ... it's a real shame the planned Last Box of Sparklers tribute record to Mark Linkous in 2013 couldn't see release, miss him a lot.

13. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Was the Scenic Sessions available on CD via the web site? I could only find the download option.

14. Davey

I think it was at one time, but probably long gone now. Decor says they only had 1000 pressed for the Euro tour last summer, and there wouldn't be a repress. Not sure how many were still available after the tour. I just have the flac download. Most of it sounds like a little sunnier version of the debut, pretty high quality though. Bodes well for the upcoming record if these all missed the cut.

eelkiller likes this.
  15. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

I wasn't familiar with The Delines music so checked out Cool Your Jets on their bandcamp site and, well, I'm swooning!

Two Delines album and a new RF album to check out next week. Can't wait.

Davey likes this.
  16. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

The new RF album seems to be getting great reviews across the board. Can't wait to hear it next week and see them in London in mid-April.

17. Davey

Sounds like you've got some fun lined up ahead. Here's some pretty cool songs, and some talk with Amy and Willy...

craigobau likes this.
  18. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Downloaded the new album earlier today and after a few spins, this is indeed a fine addition to the wonderful discography of Richmond Fontaine.

My only problem is that those pesky Delines are distracting me with their beautiful and heart-broken, late night yearnings.

Davey likes this.
  19. Davey

BTW, received the vinyl a couple days ago and it's pretty well done, not the deluxe, just the standard, but feels almost 180 gm, maybe 160. Really good album, looking forward to a lot of exploring on this one, RF records just tend to get better over time with me. Also comes with download code so you can get whatever format you want ... I did the flac as you can see below which came out as 88.2K at 16-bit ...

[​IMG]

They do have a nice sound, really looking forward to the second album, haven't heard yet when it will be out, but I know there's a few of us around here that will be all over it. Colfax was quite a debut.

Also, another really nice review at the American UK site, they tend to be big fans of most RF stuff, so no surprise, I think they gave Thirteen Cities a solid 10, and it is an amazing record, Thirteen Cities just may be the pinnacle of Willy's writing...

We live in a world of hyperbole and exaggeration which is a pity because when this album is called a masterpiece such words lose some of their effect. But a masterpiece it is – daring, adventurous, literate, and consummate.

The new one gets a 9 ...

Richmond Fontaine 'You Can't Go Back If There's Nothing To Go Back To' »

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    bleachershane likes this.
  20. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Have to agree with that 9 rating. I think I've listened the album about 8 or 9 times now and some of the tracks, particularly the first 4 or 5 tracks must rank amongst some of the best written tracks the band has ever recorded.

Current favourites are I Got Off The Bus and I Can't Black It out If I Wake up and Remember. These two tracks in particular could have been lived from the storyline's of one of Willie's novels.

I'm really looking forward to hearing some of these tracks living in a few weeks time.

21. Davey

Gotta agree, "I Can't Black It Out .." is some great great vintage Willy and RF, record is full of gems like that, completely love it, first side is very strong, and the second side starts with another big favorite in "Don't Skip Out On Me", and just keeps going, really nice flow too ...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  22. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

@Davey I owe you big time....I am just loving the two Delines albums. As you said in one of yours posts, the pairing of Amy's voice and Willy's lyrics is just sublime.

These are timelessly beautiful songs. Why aren't these guys huge?!

Marzz likes this.
  23. Davey

Well, I don't think any bands I like are huge, so no surprise there, but you're right, seems to me they will just get better as Willy gets more familiar with what works best when writing for Amy. The Delines Colfax is pretty great sounding too. I was just recently helping a friend accumulate some modern vinyl before it's gone, and this is one I urged him to purchase. It will probably be gone soon. It's released by Decor in the UK, and they do quality work. A bit expensive for a single record, but you can still get it new for around $25, so not too bad yet. It wasn't very popular around here, but there were a few big fans from what I recall, and I think they all agree it sounds great, especially on vinyl. One of us should've started a thread, but maybe when the new one comes out I will.

24. Davey

eelkiller likes this.
  25. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

RF's European tour has commenced with a few dates in Scandinavia with just Willy and one of the other guys and the full band tour starts in April 11th in Amsterdam.

I'm really looking forward to the show in London on 20th April which is now sold out.