You are drawn to DSD for what and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rodney sherman, Mar 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodney sherman

rodney sherman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I like DSD for it's closer to analog sound and most of all the quality of high frequency production. The cymbals sound so pure and natural (like they are live and not recorded). What is your reason that draws you to DSD? Why are you against it? Your input would be appreciated.

Shak Cohen and Artdob like this.
  2. parisisburning

parisisburning Well-Known Member

I have heard some DSD files that sound great. As I have with PCM also. Never really looked into the pros and cons of DSD vs PCM. Would be interested to know.

Have never heard music recorded to DSD and played back in DSD. Would be curious to do this.

I don't have a DSD capable dac. Nor do I plan on buying one too soon unless I feel that it blows hi res PCM or Redbook files away.

I know storage is less expensive now. But the files rake up a huge amount of space.

rodney sherman likes this.
  3. rodney sherman

Some albums recorded to DSD are unmastered / unedited and are done very well taking you to an unheard level of quality not found very often in recorded music.

Shak Cohen, LeeS and TarnishedEars like this.
  4. parisisburning

Any requests? I don't have a DSD DAC but a friend does. Would be interested in hearing this. Most music I've seen billed as recorded in DSD have been music that doesn't interest me.

Rolltide likes this.
  5. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

That's possible. What are you requesting? If I answer, how would you play it?

6. parisisburning

I said I have a friend who has a DSD DAC.

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's one of the high-end flavors of today. It's fine and so is 24/96 PCM.

Tomorrow it could be another newer flavor with a fancy new name and new equipment investment required.

tootull likes this.
  8. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Any reccos?

9. Artdob

Artdob Forum Resident

I have thousands of digital redbook recordings that sound really good and really clean. 99% I would say don't send chills down my spine.

When listening to vinyl, more often than not, I'll hear something so natural and stunning it makes me flip around in my chair to relish the experience (turntable and speakers being to the rear of my desk in my workspace).

Several DSD discs have provided me the experience of "Unbelievable, it sounds like the players/instruments are right in my living room." It's that stops-me-in-my-tracks experience that has made me a convert to DSD. Often it's that extra air and ambience that might be hard to put your finger on, but undeniable when it smacks you in the ears that does it for me.

I now have a DSD capable receiver in the front room along with my Oppo, a DSD DAC in my workspace, and DSD recorder for archiving vinyl and tape.

Shak Cohen, LeeS and Gardo like this.
  10. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Most of the classical Telarc SACDs are 100% DSD from end to end. What composers do you like, and I'll see what recordings I have which are really outstanding in that particular classical genera.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    Shak Cohen likes this.
  11. rodney sherman

Yes. Try the album on Nativedsd.com called S' Wonderful by the Eddie Graham Trio.

12. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Wilson recorded this in 1988, so it is unlikely really to be native DSD.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  13. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I'd say that its more like nearly impossible, unless it was recorded by a first generation prototype DSD recorder at Sony. Although it is entirely possible that it might have been an analog recording transferred to DSD.

14. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

1984, actually, and in analogue... Some informative notes regarding the DSD64 download of the album at Acoustis Sounds.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  15. rodney sherman

Say I'm wrong and full of it? Well you are right! This recording was done on Wilson's 30 ips analog recorder and remastered to DSD. I should of looked at the tech specs. Still this is such a dynamic recording.

16. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

The best thing I've ever heard was a live DSD recording played back in native DSD. It's like the uncanny valley of the audio world.

17. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

You are full of it, yes.:D Oh, BTW, the album you referred to hardly has any meaningful spectral content above 22 kHz (see spectrogram of one of its tracks below),so it should be a prime candidate for... an RBCD release, IMHO. ;)

[​IMG]

18. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

OP, take a listen to a track 01 from Eddie Graham Trio - S' Wonderful Jazz [DSD] release (downsampled & downrezzed to LPCM 16/44) & tell if you can spot anything missing SQ-wise. I think not...

19. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Nope, not if your talking about SACD as compared to red-book CD's. A few are clearly better but not most. A good red-book CD DAC can do wonders, even when compared to my analog rigs.

Shel, Rolltide and crooner like this.
  20. rodney sherman

I still get drawn into the sound of DSD when the Analog recording gets remastered to DSD with no conversion or PCM mixing.

21. rodney sherman

I did and it lost some of the Analog signature sound that the DSD has. IMHO.

22. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Analogue signature, eh?.. ;)

Tim 2 likes this.
  23. rodney sherman

With all DSD downloads, if I don't have a CD I convert the DSD file to 44.1/16 ALAC for the IPhone and IPod.

24. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

^^^ What does this have to do with my file though?.. :)

25. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

For some of the reasons you mention. Also, I find that I don't get listening fatigue with most SACDs, as I do with most RBCDs.

John K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.