What vintage receiver do you have/want?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Nov 23, 2014.

1. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I have a McIntosh 1700 in my living room, and a Marantz 2270 at my cottage. I had a Mac 1900 at my office, but recently sold that.
    My main system at home consists of McIntosh separates.

mrz80, Bolero and bluemooze like this.
  2. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Question for those who may be more knowledgable about the vintage gear than I am... Are the display bulbs burning out something I should be worried about? I'm sure there are more than a few in there and for 40+ years, they seem strong, but I seem to have this nagging thought in the back of my mind that I'm using it too much or I shouldn't leave it on for any longer than absolutely necessary, only because I know that if it ever comes to it needing replacement parts I'll never get around to it.

Do they dim over time, or go suddenly? Is this an irrational fear, or are they typically rated for thousands of hours or anything like that?

3. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Sansui 2000X;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and a Lafayette LR-9090;

[​IMG]

4. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Though I have a Meridian amp and Carver CT23 preamp/tuner I'm still lusting after a McIntosh receiver 4100 or newer. May be one day...

5. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

Technics SA-500 Amp/Receiver ..which I think is Awsome!! Recent find, all Good so far.. Well apart from tha 3 x Display Bulbs are dead and trying to find tha Right replacement ones is pita!! BA9S 6.3v 250mA Wattage not stated.. Not even in Service Manual.. Just tha type.. But I'm erring to 1w? Just finding some? Found 1w version.. But 150mA not 250mA...

Any ideas folks?

atb

6. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Still have my Marantz 2238B that I purchased new in the 70's. Not currently using it...

Fender Relic, bluemooze and CrazyCatz like this.
  7. CrazyCatz

I'm 'Loving' tha Sound of Technics SA-500 in-fact, once Dash/Display Bulbs sorted I will be swapping out my Pioneer SA-508 for the Technics.. Just sounds nicer,fuller..

atb

kindor likes this.
  8. steviej

steviej Forum Resident

I have a Marantz 2226. I love it, but I can't help wonder how it compares to a newer integrated, like the Rega Brio-R.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  9. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

A Leak Troughline, awesome!

10. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

My Pioneer SX-950

[​IMG]

My HK 930

[​IMG]

Both still function beautifully (knock on wood), but I see restoration in their future. Keeping both.
    A tubed Fisher wouldn't be too hateful :)

11. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

My 2250B recently restored...

[​IMG]

12. CrazyCatz

Both Nice!! ^^^ well I think I'm gonna have to suck it an see(who came up with tha1?) idk? But these are closest I've found.. BA9S 6.3v 0.15A 1W

Won't be happy till its lit up.. ..

atb.. Slow at typing.. Both above look sweet!!

13. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident

14. MEDeWire

MEDeWire Well-Known Member

A restored Marantz Model-19 in the bedroom that I play every morning and a Marantz 4400 that is sitting on the bench to be repaired.

Gramps Tom, BKphoto and CrazyCatz like this.
  15. russk

russk Forum Resident

My Fisher 500c is great. I use to want to grab a Scott 222c and restore it but I think my vintage journey is coming to an end. Unless I can score a good deal on a sweet pair of MC30s or MC60s and a nice MX110z. I could call those my endgame.

Daniel Thomas and BKphoto like this.
  16. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Saul made a good one there...One of the best sounding receivers ever made...!

I'm a Marantz fanboy but I've always wanted to put my ear on a Concept receiver, I've heard many people talk about them..

Gramps Tom and CrazyCatz like this.
  17. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Pioneer sx-535

timind likes this.
  18. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

nothing to worry about, they are made to be used for hours....replacing can be a pain, I'd have someone do it that has done it before...

MrRom92 likes this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Marantz 2235B..holy moly Damn wonderful receiver...

Gramps Tom, RogerB, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  20. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I'm really happy with my Scott Stereomaster 342.

21. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I actually at this point have a marantz 2240 now, and one of the bulbs on this receiver does need replacing so I don't worry about it too much anymore, if any more go out it'll only be motivation to get it taken care of sooner :p

On that note, I have a McIntosh MC2505 I recently had gone over by a tech. I made note that the bulbs may need to be replaced. In the end I was told it wasn't necessary, got it back but I have noticed (at least in a dark room) there is a bit of flicker to the lights on the meters. Those bulbs are close to 50 years old now. So those definitely do concern me.

McLover and bluemooze like this.
  22. Michael

Carver "The Receiver"...

23. Michael

? Sansui R-550 Stereo Receiver ...anyone know anything about this receiver?
    saw it in a thrift shop yesterday.

24. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I have, a Pioneer SX-1250.
    I want a Marantz 2325.
    [​IMG]

25. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

That marantz is stunning. Why is it that today so much kit is so ugly and boring. It would look lovely in my lounge! How does it sound?

Man at C&A and BlueTrane like this.