Schiit Mani radio interference?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinyl Addict, Mar 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident Thread Starter

OK so I've had a Mani for about a year now. About 3 weeks ago, I started hearing major radio interference in my speakers. I mean, I can clearly pickup the local radio station with the preamp on and no vinyl playing. There's barely any static, it's almost a clear radio signal.
    Grabbed a cheapo generic preamp I had laying around and plugged it in, and NO FEEDBACK at all. Pop the Mani back in and feedback again.
    Emailed Schiit but they didn't really help much other than the normal suggestions (check the gain settings, make sure cables are shielded). I've tried every gain setting and replaced the cables still no help. Even tried plugging into another wall outlet.
    I returned the unit back to Schiit and grabbed a new one. STILL getting the feedback.
    I must add, I have a DP-300F and my turntable does not offer a ground wire, but as I mentioned that shouldn't be it because it's always been dead quiet and never needed it before.

If this can't be resolved, I'm looking for phono preamp suggestions in the $150 range.

2. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I swear, every once in a while I would hear voices in my speakers. I know it's radio interference, but the odd thing is they were always talking in Spanish.
    Rewired everything a few months ago, and I haven't heard them since.
    Also before the rewire I would get a pretty decent pop when turning on and off light switches. I still don't know what change I made corrected the condition.

3. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

Subscribing to follow this as I have a Mani that is prone to this as well. I live less than a 1/4 mile from a radio station's tower so I suspect that has a lot to do with it. I've never been able to solve the issue but have wondered if a different phone stage would do it.

4. Vinyl Addict

I need to use a second pair of RCA to reach the receiver, therefore I need to use a pair of the coupler to attach the RCAs inline. I noticed if I plug the Mani directly into the turn table and avoid the couplers/ second set of RCAs, the noise is almost completely gone.

Yes, I live within a 1/2 mile or so from a radio tower as well, and that's the station I am picking up (the River in Haverhill). However I haven't moved and never had this occur until just a few weeks ago.

5. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

The river is the only station that comes in where I work in Haverhill. I think you should save up for a Lounge LCR MKIII though if you get another preamp. Having to jump those RCA cables over with a coupler is most of the problem though as you've proven. You could try grounding to the mani yourself from the table also.

6. Vinyl Addict

Yeah I don't really see a spot to ground it to on the turntable anywhere. I'd like to try that, I looked the other day and do t really SE much without opening it up. If I go to that extreme, Id like to wire it for a female connector in the back so I can just plug in any cables.

I just don't see why it would start now, and yet I hear no feedback on a p.o.s. $25 preamp.

7. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

That is strange all of a sudden, my last table was real sensitive to noise from outlets and sometimes if something else was plugged in nearby or any changes like that would effect it also. Pre amps can be prone to it and make it worse it seems or better.

8. Vinyl Addict

What else is available in the $150 range? I know it's not a very good price range but I've been out of work and that's all I really want to throw at this. I'd prefer new, only because if it gives me the same feedback, I can return it.

9. There are Cambridge Azur 551's at the 'zon and the 'bay in your price range. Make dead sure your phono cables are clean and not getting hinky solder joints.

10. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

Are you using shielded ICs?

11. Vinyl Addict

Yes shielded cables, I've tried several pairs.

How does the Cambridge one sound? What about the Little Bear?

12. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I don't have a Mani, but I do have a Magni/Modi and when I complained of extraneous noise and sent my Magni to them for repair, here was the outcome. Emphasis mine.

"We didn't find anything specifically wrong with your Magni. Out of an
    abundance of caution we added a tweak that can reduce certain kinds of RF
    noise."

So, they have "tweaks" for certain kinds of RF noise.

13. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Out of an overabundance of tweaks:)

14. Vinyl Addict

Yeah, at my wit's end with this thing. It's going back yet again. Really considering the Little Bear T10 pro

15. DCB73

DCB73 Member

I was having a local fm station coming in really loud on my orbit, mani and shure 97x setup. Also, very noticeable white noise at low volume levels. I replace the stock rca connections from the orbit to the mani with shorter ones and it cleared up the radio station. The only way to reduce the white noise was to switch to a different cartridge (at95e). It still has way more noise than my art preamp, but it is at least acceptable now.

16. Vinyl Addict

Any noise is unacceptable to me. A little hum with the volume way up is OK, but I don't want to be hearing the local weather report between tracks and quiet spots.
    Enough is enough with this damn thing. I've spent hours trying to find a sweet spot, swapping cables, couplers, wall outlets, different receivers etc.

I need some recommendations on something else.

17. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

How close do you live to this station? Some tube & inexpensive SS phono preamps tend to be particularly vulnerable to RF. You might try a Faraday cage. I only know that they exist & are effective in some cases. Might even be within your budget.

18. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

I had the same issue with an iFi iPhono preamp I was using for moving coil...it was cool for a while but then started picking up the neighbors radio or something. Just for giggles I tried the moving coil setting on my regular preamp and got no extraneous noise whatsoever...and a blacker background...so back in the box went the iPhono. If you can find a preamp you like with a quality built-in phono I don't think you'll be worrying about noise any time soon.

19. Vinyl Addict

Thanks for the help guys. I'm looking trust me.

I live about 1/2 mile from the local radio station. I'd rather not have to place the preamp/equipment in a faraday cage, I'll just use the cheapo one until I can find a proper replacement

20. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

FWIW, I had a Bellari VP130 phono preamp that didn't pick up RF at my prior residence in another city, but when I moved I started hearing radio loud and clear through it. I switched to the Mani, and that decreased the RF volume by quite a lot. But nothing cured it completely until I moved again.

21. BTW What radio station? FM or AM? If it's FM, some ferrite cable clamps on your phono cables may do the trick.
    [​IMG]

22. Vinyl Addict

It is most certainly FM. It's "The River" in Haverhill, MA

morinix likes this.
  23. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

If ferrite cable clamps don't work on the RCAs, try one on the power cable. It should be that simple.

24. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

Is there any solution if it's AM radio?

25. Vinyl Addict

Anyone know what size? Do I just measure the width of the cables/power cord? Does it remove hum as well? I'm not getting any, but just curious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.