Different masterings for The Best of Blondie (CD)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Um, what album is that?

2. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

The one the OP is asking about. Best Of Blondie.

3. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Thanks. Now that I re-read this, I see there was no reason for me to ask that question. :)

4. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

OK. Sorry if I sounded a little snarky. I'm a bit grouchy in the morning. ;)

5. deepsky4565

deepsky4565 Forum Resident

Sorry I can't add to the masterings, but am reading with interest. I would sure love for Steve to master this title!

6. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

This was one of the first CDs I ever bought, back in 1985. I don't recall it sounding too bad but I hated it that the mix of "Rapture" eliminated the guitar solo.

7. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

I found this thread doing a search...sorry my post is very late to this thread.

Great. I just bought the CP32 of this to upgrade. Now I may have to do a rethink.

I do have the following:14-track, West German-for-Europe pressing, Chrysalis catalog number CCD 1371.

I wonder if this is the preferred mastering of that track line up. I think on an earlier thread some felt the songs on that mastering sound distant....

8. btomarra

And utilize both track listings....

9. btomarra

I a/b'd my W German 14 track CCD 1371 with the JPN black triangle CP32.

CP32 wins for me. I don't find it bright, just a tad shrill briefly in spots on the vocals. I find the CCD too low in volume and too distant. I have to literally turn the knob almost all the way up to hear it.

10. btomarra

I thouight I would ask this here. Which tracklisting do you prefer: the US, Canadian -

Side A:

"Heart of Glass" (Special Mix) (Harry, Stein) – 4:34
    "Dreaming" (Harry, Stein) – 3:08
    "The Tide Is High" (Barrett, Evans, Holt) – 4:39
    "In the Flesh" (Special Mix) (Harry, Stein) – 2:31
    "Sunday Girl" (Special Mix) (Stein) – 3:04
    "Hanging on the Telephone" (Lee) – 2:33

Side B:

"Rapture" (Special Mix) (Harry, Stein) – 5:36
    "One Way or Another" (Harrison, Harry) – 3:36
    "(I'm Always Touched by Your) Presence, Dear" (Valentine) – 2:42
    "Call Me (Theme From American Gigolo)" (Harry, Moroder) – 3:32
    "Atomic" (Destri, Harry) – 4:42
    "Rip Her to Shreds" (Harry, Stein) – 3:25

Or international which drops One Way Or Another (bad move IMHO) and adds three tracks: Denis, Union City Blue and Pictuire This -

Side A:

"Heart of Glass" (Special Mix) (Harry, Stein) – 4:34
    "Denis" (Levenson) – 2:17
    "The Tide Is High" (Barrett, Evans, Holt) – 4:39
    "In the Flesh" (Special Mix) (Harry, Stein)– 2:31
    "Sunday Girl" (Special Mix) (Stein) – 3:04
    "Dreaming" (Harry, Stein) – 3:06
    "Hanging on the Telephone" (Lee) – 2:22

Side B:

"Rapture" (Special Mix) (Harry, Stein) – 5:35
    "Picture This" (Stein, Harry, Destri) – 2:57
    "Union City Blue" (Harrison, Harry) – 3:22
    "(I'm Always Touched by Your) Presence, Dear" (Valentine) – 2:42
    "Call Me" (Harry, Moroder) – 3:32
    "Atomic" (Destri, Harry) – 4:40
    "Rip Her to Shreds" (Harry, Stein) – 3:21

11. autoamerican

autoamerican X-Offender

Most audiofiles will agree that Japanese pressings on CD were some of the best in regards to US pressed cd's.
    I have the UK 1983 Best Of Blondie Cd & the 1990 re-issue US CD.

Obviously the mastering from the 1983 cd to the 1990 re-issue differ. The mastering is better on the 1990 CD. The US 1990 Cd is almost identical to the US 1984 pressing cd pressing but again as time went on the mastering got better.

Most of today's "remasters" include cranking up the volume levels to the point of almost distorting the audio or original equalization.

I found a torrent with all the Japanese 45 pressings converted to digital mp3s and they were fantastic sounding. Check for that torrent.

I would go for the US 12 track re-issue that's been around for 20 plus years and still in print today. Although a Japanese 12 track should sound just as great or better.

12. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I think this is one of those odd cases where the garden variety US version sounds better than the exotic, Japanese issues.

rcsrich likes this.
  13. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Just ran across a NM copy of this disc & really enjoying it so far- sounds great & the dynamics are far better than a later compilation I have...

14. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

That's the one! Gotta turn it up, but once you hit the sweet spot on the volume it sounds real nice.

rcsrich likes this.
  15. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

O.K., I'm thoroughly confused! :confused:

I've read through this thread twice and another one in the archives and I still can't figure out what the best one or two sounding pressings are of "The Best of Blondie" CD... and what are the worst one or two.

In any case, I just found an AUSSIE 12-track pressing (# VK 41337 / DIDX 71 hub = DIDX 7131A23) at a local store and put it on hold.

How's its sound quality?

Does it have the guitar solo in "Rapture"?

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  16. autoamerican

autoamerican X-Offender

ALL "Best of Blondie" pressings on vinyl, CD, cassette will feature the Special Edit 5:36 minute version of Rapture (no guitar solo except for pieces at the end fade), Special Mix of Sunday Girl (half French), Special Mix of Heart of Glass as well as In The Flesh. I have had Two US pressings and a UK pressing (14 track). I have not found difference in sound quality as they were both 1st pressings (before 1984 1987 reissues). The original CD issues...as in the UK pressing I had was of a lower quality than the 1990 US reissue. Hope this helps.

17. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Thanks autoamerican

Is the "Special Mix of Sunday Girl (half French)" on a source other than on the "Best of" CD (like on another CD or maybe an LP)?

I know I've heard it before.

Oh, and I just realized when I said the CD above was "Aussie," that was a mistake, as it is Austrian (brain freeze, there).

18. autoamerican

autoamerican X-Offender

Yes, Special Mix of Sunday Girl, Rapture & Heart of Glass (although in an edited form) all appear on the 1991 compilation The Complete Picture: The Best of Deborah Harry & Blondie, also on LP, CD, & cassette. The Special Mixes are only on the Best Of's though. Not featured on any other LPs (other than Complete Picture). 'Once More into The Bleach' 1988 compilation features the full French Version of Sunday Girl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.