Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ShardEnder, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

We do not.

So, I stand corrected. Batman killed in the early comics.

I also considered the idea that the updated, more violent Batman might fit more with the times, but that's part of my problem. We live in , and all too readily accept, war culture. I'm tired of it. Batman has so many more tools and so much more potential than any of the movies since the Keaton film have given him. I did enjoy the comic book style of those film. Still not much of detective.

You want the Punisher. Watch the Punisher. Batman gets played like a hi-tech soldier - and, yeah, he basically was the original hi-tech soldier. Now, it's typecasting and audiences eat it up without question. Ok. You're right. I have an idea of Batman and it's my idea. There's no reason to get into a huge exploration of the topic here. I don't want to be a curmudgeon. Really. Enjoy the film if it's what you want to see. There's a reason to hold on to certain images of a character. Just as we hold on to certain ideas of a band. But bands are real people and they should grow. Just once, I want to see Batman fulfill the intelligent side of his character. It's really not a lot to ask.

2. The Revealer

I have mixed feelings. I've enjoyed it so far and hope that the experience with Silver makes him wiser. I also thought that wrapped up well. I'm behind since they resumed in Feb. So, no spoilers please. I'm just so desperate for that intellectual side. I love the actor they've got playing young Bruce. If it wasn't for his chops, they wouldn't have written such a chunky part for him. So, that's a plus.

3. Comment here again after you catch up.

jriems likes this.
  4. The Revealer

:wtf:

Shoot. I've got a vacation starting tomorrow morning and won't be able to watch until Weds. You've got me very interested. I've just been putting it off for a day to binge. Now I can hardly wait!

Mazzy likes this.
  5. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

I just think it's a bit of an exaggeration to start calling him the Punisher. As has been shown in clips, in almost all the other Batman movies, he has killed villains. The body count in this one is prob no more than 4 I think. Not counting the Knightmare vision sequence which didn't actually take place. There is no more killing by Batman in this movie than any other one really. He killed when he was Keaton and he killed when he was Bale. Don't know why Affleck's version has everyone all hot and bothered. He's not even close to acting like the Punisher.

6. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

the reviews have not been kind

7. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

5/5 for me and probably my second favorite comic book film behind Watchmen.

David Campbell and mindblanking like this.
  8. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

Just saw it. Had some good moments, but I give it a 2/5.

DiabloG and The Revealer like this.
  9. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

That means you "got it". The Watchmen is brilliant and a film I can watch anytime it's on. Remember the shot of Batman hiding in the corner of the ceiling in that apartment? Incredible.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    Stormrider77 likes this.
  10. Stormrider77

Eh, not the critics' for sure but fan reviews seem to be just fine.

11. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Affleck managed to humanize Batman. Even wearing battle armor. Bale never did that. His take was always too clinical for me. Like if he died I'd be okay with it. Keaton also portrayed a character who could exist. That's why, for me, Keaton and now Affleck stand head and shoulders above the others.

12. The Revealer

Of course it is. But the general impression is correct. When something is as far off from your hoped for version as this is from mine, the exaggeration feels justified. That's all. I give on the killing and said as much. You don't have to get hung up on other people's impressions. As in most situations, there's no right or wrong here. Just our individual opinions. I don't judge, Stormrider. I own my opinions. Nothing's going to make me feel better about this. I want what I want and I want it now. :disgust:

13. Stormrider77

I'll try to answer this as best I can speculating. Yes, that was the Flash at the end. He can travel time by using the speed force. The opening scene of the desert has Batman overlooking a destroyed city (Gotham?) and on the ground is a large omega symbol. This symbol, combined with the flying soldiers which certainly seemed like para-demons adds up to a possible future villain by the name of Darkseid who is Thanos like in his power( for those following the Marvel movies). I believe the whole scene was a vision of the "possible" future that would occur if Martha Kent had been killed. Superman would have snapped and truly become the destroying force that Batman feared he already was. What confuses me is it sounds like Flash says Lois is the key but it seemed like Lex was under the impression that Martha was the one who would really throw Superman over the edge if killed.

GodShifter likes this.
  14. Stormrider77

Fair enough, not trying to say you should or shouldn't like this version of Batman. I'm just stating that this version of Batman kills no more or no less than any other filmed version of Batman we've seen since the Keaton era began.

The Revealer likes this.
  15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Kinda telling that 99.9% of all the commentary has been about Batfleck! Whenever Cavill/Superman is mentioned its almost as an afterthought along the lines of his character's been fleshed out a bit more since MOS. Originally, this movie was supposed to be MOS II! Saw an interview with Cavill where he said he's got a 3-picture contract (that he hoped would be renewed). The 3rd movie's to be the 1st Justice League flick, where he'll have to share his screentime with even more heroes. We won't know for a few years, but I'm wondering if there'll be ANOTHER Superman reboot once his contracts up!

mikeyt likes this.
  16. Stormrider77

So here are a couple of my favorite moments:

As mentioned earlier, the cop shining the light to see Batman crouched up in the ceiling, awesome!
    Wonder Woman getting knocked down by Doomsday and looking up with a #$#-eating grin as if to say she likes a good fight
    Great delivery by Batman to Supes before the battle: "Well, here I am" with a smirk on his face

GodShifter likes this.
  17. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

It was Warner Bros' decision to make Superman more of a supporting character purely for box office potential. I feel sorry for Cavill.

18. Stormrider77

You're right but Batman sells, Superman doesn't. At least with the stories that have been told. I have doubts that we'll ever see the decisive modern day Superman movie be told. I don't even know what I would want from it. He does seem like a hard character to write a good movie for. But I'm sure he'll get his shine in the Justice League movie.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Finally caught the movie this afternoon and it's

HAAAAAAARIBLE!

Unwatchable by humans. Just dreadful. Loud, scattered, nonsensical, exhausting, and stupid. On the way out, we overheard what must've been about a 9- or 10-year-old kid muttering, "that really sucked ***." I agree with him 100%.

The critics are totally right on this. The only good thing I can say is that I enjoyed Ben Affleck's performance, but I think he merely did the best he could with awful material.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Who did Bale's Batman kill? Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I don't recall any killings by Bale's Bats...

21. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Don't be coy now, Marc, tell us what you really think :D.

If they were viewing this film as the fount from which the WB/DC shared cinematic universe is to spring from, and thus has quite a lot of things to achieve in a single outing, it would have made sense to have gone for a more measured, paced, and focused three-hour film where everything is given due time and care to set up properly going forward... I wonder if the upcoming three-hour director's cut will rectify some of this film's narrative problems, chiefly it's disjointed nature in editing? I get the distinct feeling from interviews with Zack Snyder that the studio essentially forced him to cut it down to two-and-a-half hours when the upcoming three-hour version was Snyder's intended version.

Having the great Bryan Cranston playing a truly malevolent and seething Lex Luthor, as originally was planned, certainly would have helped matters, alas...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    Vidiot likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

So you're saying you've only ever seen two comic book movies, right? :hide: ;)

23. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I have seen most of them, including the three pieces of garbage that Christopher Nolan made.

24. Oatsdad

Oh man, do I disagree! Affleck played Bruce as a schlub with no style or emotions. He just meandered stone-faced through the movie.

Bale brought real emotion to the part. He gave the part range and nuance not seen within 1000 miles of Affleck's performance...

25. Oatsdad

So the Dark Knight Trilogy is garbage and "BvS" is a classic - hookay.

It's April 1 already???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.