Which artist's death affected you the most?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Bowie totally shook me to my core. It numbed me and took weeks to get back to normal. I wanted to keep thinking it was a dream, there was no way David Bowie could die... especially with a new album that just came out (even though I was listening to the album all weekend without really putting it together that it was a goodbye).

Michael Jackson's death was pretty massive too... growing up he was the biggest star in the universe and he had such a larger than life image that the idea of him dying at such a relatively young age never came to mind.

Donna Summer was another that didn't quite get the media circus of some others, but it totally blindsighted me. She was one of my fave divas and someone I always rooted for. Her 2008 album was a nice return to the spotlight and I was hoping we'd have her for years to come, and then one day I turn the TV on and scrolling at the bottom of the screen is "Donna Summer dies". Very sad.

Whitney wasn't a shocker, she had been on a slow suicide for over a decade before she drowned, but it was still a heartbreaking end to one of the biggest stars of my youth. I had rooted for her to come back and thought her 2009 album was quite good, even if her golden voice wasn't what it once was, but it was still sad and I will admit I cried a little bit that night.

Mark-T, MungoMusic, John Adam and 4 others like this.
  2. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

John Lennon - I was 13 at the time. Already a big fan of The Beatles and "Double Fantasy" was out...
    David Bowie - Two days after "Blackstar"... It was a shock although there had been rumors about ill health for years.
    George Harrison - Very surprising. He'd just reissued "All Things Must Pass" the same year and talked about future plans in an interview.
    Kurt Cobain - It came as a shock. A suicide. A young artist at the top of his career. I was very into "In Utero" at the time.

Well I stop here for now. It's weird with artists, I've never met any of these or been their friend but there is a bond anyway through daily music listening.

bluejeanbaby and Bowieboy like this.
  3. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Lennon and Harrison are good ones too.... I admit I was too young for Lennon and didn't really discover Harrison's genius until too late. But I am sure if I was older and knew then what I know now that it would've been earth shattering.

Cobain is another one that truly shook my world when I was 14. I remember it was Spring Break in 94 when my dad came home from work and told me Kurt Cobain blew his head off, it stopped me in my tracks.

bluejeanbaby and the sands like this.
  4. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Dime

I was never a big Pantera fan, but to be gunned down on stage while doing the thing you love most...tragic.

5. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

This was definitely a sad passing. Just see the footage of the incident...chills. Not good ones. Very sad thing to watch.

6. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

davy jones, just wasn't right that he died that young.

chad

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  7. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Others that were crushing.

Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Andrew Wood
    Zappa
    Chuck Schuldiner
    Dio
    Bowie

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Like for many people, David Bowie. What an incredible life and career.

Also, Freddie Mercury & Curtis Mayfield. It's heartbreaking that these brilliant, charismatic and powerful talents went through years of discomfort before they died. Both of them faced up to it in a dignified manner. Obviously very different musicians, but I'll forever be a big fan of both.

SITKOL'76, bluejeanbaby and CrazyCatz like this.
  9. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Rick Wright of Pink Floyd got to me, it was fast, nobody saw it coming, he was a gentile quiet man who was a great musician and an integral part of Pink Floyd. I can truly understand why Gilmour does not want to do Floyd with out him anymore.

Frank Zappa was also disturbing to me as well, He was one of the most Unique Musicians of our time and was too young to go like that.

Duane Allman & Jimi Hendrix, I was very young when they died, but have always wondered what music would be like if they had lived, and what music they would be making today.

John Lennon, He died when I was in High School, and I remember that day. The entire school came to a stop that day, just about all the kids went out to the court yard and painted giant black and white silhouettes of each of the Beatles, starting with John on the Court Yard Windows. Those silhouettes stayed up for over two years until they deteriorated.

John Bonnham, I had tickets to see Led Zeppelin in Detroit when he died, the tour was cancelled and Zeppelin never really played again with exception of a few events and the O2 Arena.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    MungoMusic likes this.
  10. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

11. JosephRose

JosephRose Forum Resident

Ronnie James Dio, no doubt.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  12. peelaaa

peelaaa Forum Resident

Cant decide between Mercury and bowie.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  13. Skydog71

Skydog71 Well-Known Member

Duane Allman and a year later Berry Oakley

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Alvin Lee was a shocker, way too young. And i'd seen a TYA reunion show with all original members, it was wonderful.

15. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I was very moved by George Harrison's death.... knew he was sick but it was hard to hear the news that morning in 2001 of his passing.

Richie Havens was another.. unexpected! I loved his voice and his songs (both the ones he wrote and his cover choices).

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  16. Maestro63

Maestro63 Forum Resident

That one guy from milli vanilli:laugh:

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The entire original Edgar Winter Group other than Edgar. Very sad to think about.

18. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Bowie had a good run. Plus, he ended on a high point. I have no feelings of sadness or regret for him. I celebrate his life and career. We should all be so fortunate.

If there was one death in recent times that leaves me sad, it's Captain Beefheart. Not for him, personally - he had a very successful second act in life with his painting - but for us music fans. His musical career had so many interruptions and industry-related obstacles (indifferent labels, A&R interference... you name it). After he got dumped by Virgin in '83, he just decided to throw in the towel and pursue other interests.

Our loss, of course. So many years of what could have been. He was obviously at the height of his musical powers when he packed it in. The guy was too good, too pure for the "music industry".

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Very sad story that. Don't know why you find it so amusing.

20. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Vic Chesnutt

21. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Stuart Adamson from Big Country.

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

as a kid: Jim Croce

as a adult: Frank Zappa

23. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

I remember the day Elliott killed himself. Was a huge shock at the time. I was 15 and vividly remember my brother coming into the living room to tell me. I had JUST gotten into his music too.

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've never been a fan of Big Country but I respected them and was so saddened by his death.

Big Country were a big band when I was young and it's tragic that Stuart Adamson was driven to that. Same with Billy MacKenzie from The Associates.

ribonucleic likes this.
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The senselessness of John Lennon's death never ceases to be overwhelming. It's always been beyond my understanding. I was 6 years old when it happened and didn't understand it then because I didn't know who John Lennon was (though I knew Beatles songs). I haven't been able to understand it since for totally different reasons. F**k Mark Chapman. What a total arsehole.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    bluejeanbaby likes this.