1950s Capitol Records D and N vinyl Stampers: What's the Real Deal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Was listening to Only The Lonely and surprised and confused that side A has a D in the deadwax and side B is an N.
    It's my understanding that D is west coast master tape and N is an east coast dub pressing. Why would one side be D and the other N? It's an early 9 pm Capitol logo pressing. Thanks

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

@chacha - Happens all the time. The pressing was likely actually made in Scranton, PA, and they had, at some point, received one cut for side one and another for side two. (That said, I do have some Los Angeles pressings that also have N cuts on one side, which always seems really weird to me, but it does happen.)

3. chacha

It's a shame because side 1 D sounds tremendous whereas side 2 N sounds a generation down.

4. MLutthans

I think this is the oldest 12" Capitol LP in my collection, released in 1950:
    R-4013809-1352340840-5798.jpeg.jpg DSC_0033.jpg DSC_0035.jpg
    First off, this LP weighs -- figuratively -- a ton! I would not be shocked if it's pushing 200g. Secondly, it does not have the (roughly) quarter-sized inner ring indentation that we know and love from Capitol-pressed LPs from the mid-50s to (at least) the early 80s. Had the Scranton plant not yet opened, or did they merely have different presses/hardware, producing that "deep groove" ring on the label? (Pardon my ignorance, which is why I'm asking, as the "Scranton anvil" is visible.) Finally, this is one of a handful of LPs (the others are, I think, all 10" titles) that use the Y/Z matrix prefix (Z is visible in the middle photo), as opposed to the later D or N.

Pardon the dust on the LP. It's 90 degrees here and I've got five fans going! (I'm not a "heat guy.")

5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The Z is even printed on the label. How does it sound?

6. MLutthans

I had not noticed that Z on the label. Cool! Soundwise, I don't recall it being anything special, but will have to play it again to give and actual report.

MMM likes this.
  7. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

First up, in the early years of Scranton pressing LP's (up to circa 1954), they had the same type of "deep groove" whose dimensions had somewhat more in common with Columbia LP's of the period than those of RCA Victor; Capitol didn't retool their pressing dies towards the more iconic 1.5" pressing ring until about 1954 or so (one of the first I have in this vein being a 10" LP of Kenton Presents Jazz: Frank Rosolino). Secondly, though no 'D' was in evidence in the deadwax, there'd be no doubt that at that point, all lacquers for Capitol product emanated from their Melrose studios. It also cinches that "Y" signified an A side and "Z" a B side, as was also on 45's and 78's after the matrix numbers in this period.
    As far as sound quality goes, I seem to recall Capitol in those days using Presto cutterheads, which I heard someone compare to something being transmitted through a phone line.
    The next part: how long, on LP's, did Capitol signify track numbers with Roman numerals (I, II, III, IV) before switching to the more conventional Arabic numbering system?

TLMusic, MLutthans, MMM and 2 others like this.
  8. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

On 1 out of 2 copies of Close to You (mono) and 2 out of 3 copies of Where Are You (both mono) there's a "1S" that precedes everything in the run-off groove. It's not any other Sinatra LPs I have here. What does it mean?

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I've seen the 1S, 2S, etc. (or was it S1, S2, ?) on a few occasions. I've taken it to indicate the stamper used for that side - maybe Capitol only did it for the earliest stampers, and only sometimes? All totally a guess...

10. marmil

I know you've identified the "mark" for the Scranton plant (I call it the little house), but does anyone know what the other marks mean? I have 1 LP that has a "V" (or 2/3 of a triangle) and 1 with a triangle with 2 or 3 letters in it. Do you know what these signify?

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The triangle containing 3 letters - IAM - stands for the International Association of Machinists group that worked there. IAM came to be seen on the pressings a few years into the 60's.

Not sure what you mean by the other mark, the "V"...

12. marmil

I would post a pic of it but I can't figure out how to do it.

13. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

At the close of the decade, whoever wrote the copy in this ad promoting Capitol facilities trumpeted studios and manufacturing plants on both coasts. They didn't specify lacquer mastering in two locations. By September of 1963, another Capitol ad in Billboard included this: "...lacquers can be produced in New York and Hollywood simultaneously to save time."

[​IMG]
    Billboard June 22, 1959 (ad ran more than once)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

That would explain it, I mean why I couldn't find a "NY COPY" older than 1963 or so.. And before that, N just meant a lacquer cut in Hollywood for the east coast.

15. halfjapanese

[​IMG]
    Billboard September 7, 1963

McLover likes this.
  16. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Ah, but the 1959 ad clearly said: "Modern and completely equipped studios in Hollywood and New York for live recording, editing, tape dubbing and transfer work, in monophonic and stereophonic." "Transfer work," as I read it, meant lacquer mastering, i.e. "transfer from tape to disc." And Capitol Custom had two sets of master number blocks - three-digit for East Coast (i.e. JB-159 for a 1959 master) and four-digit for West Coast (e.g. JB-2122). 1963 was when some Capitol Custom clients had lacquers produced on both coasts; I saw a Los Angeles pressing of the Premier Albums' John Fitzgerald Kennedy: A Memorial Album (2099) where the deadwax had 'F' and 'G' codes indicating Hollywood lacquer mastering - whereas the firm was based in New York and Scranton's own pressings used New York 'P' and 'T' lacquers (mx. #'s PB-1423 / 1424). That may explain, in the 1963 ad, the sentence "If your distribution needs twin-coast production, lacquers can be produced in New York and Hollywood simultaneously to save time." That album was a prime example of that principle. No, 'N' codes were strictly New York lacquers whose lead-out spacing by 1962-63 was identical to post-'63 P, T, W and X lacquers.

17. halfjapanese

Our readings differ, as I think they meant tape to tape transfer work. The copy between the two ads - composed three years apart - is so similar, yet the newer one is quite explicit in promoting lacquer production in two locations.

18. marmil

19. chacha

20. marmil

[​IMG]
    after much trial & error, I was able to post this. Has anyone seen anything like it?

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  21. marmil

And here's an early Capitol/Telefunken P8040. This was pre-EMI, so no Angel. And the whole run-off is just P 8040 Z2. Cool label, though...
    [​IMG]

22. marmil

And thanks to the part-Asian member of our happy crew for helping me w/ uploading!

23. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

That's a new one on me!!

24. marmil

Here's something I've just come upon: A 10" Capitol of Bartok's "Music For String Instruments Percussion and Celesta. Los Angeles Chamber Symphony Conducted by Harold Evans. Maroon label, "Long Playing 33 2/3 RPM Microgroove" runs from 8 o'clock to 4 o'clock on the label. The matrices are L-8048 Y-2 @ 6 o'clock; "1149" @ 11 o'clock (A side), (same) Z-2 @ 12 o'clock; "1149" @ 6 o'clock (B side). And the "Scranton house" @ 3'o'clock/9 o'clock. The "1149" doesn't appear anywhere on the label. So what do the Y, Z and 1149 denote? Anyone know?

25. akbg

akbg Forum Resident

More Captiol matrix trivia:

[​IMG]

This should be the "block" type, no? It's on the '56 turquoise label. There's the anvil symbol too. I've actually seen more LPs with the "scroll" type matrix, though... I think I've seen the same LP with the scroll type matrices...

Next one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An LP from '59. Side 1 has what looks like handwritten matrix numbers.

Side 2:

[​IMG]

A machine stamped matrix, but not the "block" type - a different font and smaller.
    Looks like an RCA pressing, but where have both sides been cut?

Another one, which was mentioned on a previous page:

[​IMG]

This is a '59 UK pressing of Jack Marshall's "Soundsville" in stereo. What's the consolidated opinion on this strange matrix? It's neither typical EMI, nor a typical US Capitol from the time... It's a hybrid. Is it a US metal master prepared and sent to EMI UK?

An interesting observation - I've seen only UK stereo albums with that type of matrix. Not a single mono pressing using such matrix numbering. Which may indicate that if a true stereo master was sent from the USA (for albums released in stereo and on the UK LPs they are all indeed the true stereo mixes), a mono mix may have never been sent and UK mono releases may be fold downs...

Simon A and Steve Hoffman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.