Star Wars Episode VII: The Spoilers Awaken

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DreadPikathulhu, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I scanned that link and saw virtually no examples to illustrate the point except for a Star Trek episode I am not familiar with.

Can you list some other supposed Mary Sues?

2. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

A Mary Sue is sort of the character-based equivalent of Deus ex Machina which is a plot device.

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

You could read what they say about the episode and maybe you'd get a better idea. It's pretty thoroughly explained....

4. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

So it appears that the films editors Maryann Brandon said they actually considered having Yoda make a cameo in The Force Awakens and that Frank Oz (the voice of Yoda) actually came in for a day and did a bunch of Yoda.

I'm assuming a bunch of Yoda means he lent his voice to be inserted into a possible cameo that would have appeared if they had decided to use a visual Yoda in the latest episode.

http://www.etonline.com/news/181328_yoda_was_cut_from_star_wars_the_force_awakens/

5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Probably a smart move. They should get Jones to do Darth too. These guys arent getting any younger and no one can replace the voice of Darth. No one.

Drifter likes this.
  6. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Actually, that guy that does Vader for the video games is pretty amazing. Not that he could replace James Earl Jones, but it is an amazing likeness.

I fully expect Yoda and maybe Vader to appear.

Yoda as his force ghost self. Vader as a figment of Kylo Ren's warped imagination.

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Here's an honest question: How would Kylo know what Vader sounds like? Is there documentary footage of Vader in action floating around somewhere in the Star Wars universe? Or photos or paintings of Vader looking all bad-ass?

8. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

There technology is far beyond ours, and we record political leaders. The First Order has access to the Empire's database (it is mentioned in the film).

Certainly the second most powerful figure in the galaxy for some 20-30 years would have voice recordings. And since Ren is obsessed with Vader, he has certainly perused them.

JediJoker likes this.
  9. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

It would have been cool to see some of that empire database in the film where is it show us the money.

10. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

JediJoker likes this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Peace N. Love and Song4U like this.
  12. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Surprised no discussion of yesterday's Blu-ray release of this film?

I watch some of it last night. I was expecting a reference quality picture, but the darker scenes were just a few steps too dark. It's like the gamma was messed up. Oddly my wife walks in during a darker scene and says 'what are you watching'. She immediately comments that the picture looks dark, and she is not the type to notice such things. The reviewer on HD Digest noticed it as well.

Before anyone asks me about adjusting my display, I'm using the Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD, that I've done a recent full calibration on with CalMAN and the i1 DisplayPro 3 colorimeter. All good here!

Rachael Bee likes this.
  14. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

i
    I thought the first 15 minutes were pitch black in the cinema. pitch black, confusing and dull. it got much better though.

15. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Looked fine on my Sony 60" - really good in fact!

Harry

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Definitely the beginning is impacted, and any darker scenes with Kylo Ren. Just not high enough gamma to see details in his costume.

17. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Do ya think that we're all getting so used to the look of digital and it's shot on film....film that's heavily processed.

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Nah. The best digital (RED) cameras look very similar to modern film stock + all the post processing typically done, when played back via Blu-ray in a home environment.

I should do some side by side comparisons of the darker iTunes trailer clips vs. the same scenes in the Blu-ray. Even going from memory (I probably watched the trailer(s) 20+ times, it seems darker on the Blu-ray.

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I watched this on DVD yesterday. It's a pretty dull ride sitting at home.

Drifter likes this.
  20. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I didn't have a problem with the brightness. Go figure.

21. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The level of knowledge characters in "TFA" have of the past seems to be very conveniently selective. Even on Rey's planet, they have flying spaceships, but somehow despite crashed ships and AT-ATs and leftover helmets and all of that, Rey literally thinks the epic, *universe-altering* story of Luke Skywalker, a story at that point only 30 or so years old, is just a myth?

Not a big thing, just not a huge fan of the movie making "celebrities" out of the characters within the film, and "myth turned to reality" celebrities at that.

They should have just done the Snake Plissken/Escape from L.A. joke and had people continually be excited to meet Plissken while noting that they thought he'd be taller.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I didn't think Rey believed the fight against the Empire was a myth - I think she thought that the Jedi were a myth...

23. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I got the Blu Ray but haven't watched the movie proper yet. Just watched the deleted scenes, which are underwhelming.

24. balzac

balzac Senior Member

That sounds right. It's not literally implausible. Just another plot convenience to make Rey the ultimate fanboy/fangirl. Though, she could have "geeked out" just as much meeting Han Solo even if she had known everything about Luke and the Jedi was legit. So I'm not sure why they needed to make the mere existence of the Jedi and Luke such a huge mystery. It's just another weird aspect of how Star Wars is a hybrid of futuristic technology and weird stone-age culture.

Rewatching the blu-ray after having seen the film a couple times in theaters, the "Mary Sue" accusations are pretty justified.

Clipper Sylvania likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Agree - I'm happy to see them, but they're forgettable...

mmars982 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.