For Country Music Collectors, post your latest acquisitions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by baptistbusman, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate Thread Starter

As a die hard Country Music collector, I find very few threads for our music, except the Bear Family related threads.

I thought it would be fun to see what everyone else is picking up.

[​IMG]

I found this on eBay last week. I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but it looks like it could be pretty interesting.

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I should have the Sundazed Buck Owens Sings Harlan Howard CD sitting in my mailbox when I get home today

hugh . g., dalem5467, rxcory and 2 others like this.
  3. baptistbusman

I have that! It doesn't get any better than early period Buck Owens. Keep a look out for "You're For Me," definitely one of his best.

Ted Mooney and hugh . g. like this.
  4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

That arrived last week!

baptistbusman likes this.
  5. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

Just breaking out the Bear Family Merle Haggard 1968-1976 box....

Marzz likes this.
  6. Anytime I see a clean copy of one of his Capitol Records I pick it up. Great feeling and they usually sound amazing. Well Recorded . Also Jimmy Dean too. Found a perfect copy of Big Bad John recently

7. Spanish Prisoner

Spanish Prisoner Forum Resident

I've picked up quite a few Waylon Jennings CD's recently. I snagged the 11 track version of his 'Greatest Hit's disc for $4 yesterday.

McLover, jonathan, rxcory and 2 others like this.
  8. baptistbusman

I've had my eye on that one for a while, it looks like it may be out of print now.

9. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

My son moved to Nashville earlier this year, and he's been killing me with PMs of his used record store finds over there. Lots of mint, original '60s and '70s country LPs being had for cheap. Porter Wagoner, Buck Owens, Ernest Tubb, Waylon... the list goes on.

dalem5467, rxcory, lightbulb and 7 others like this.
  10. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Spanish Prisoner likes this.
  11. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

12. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

This dropped in the mailbox today, cost a couple of quid new, extraordinarily good.

[​IMG]

McLover, jonathan, PROG U.K. and 5 others like this.
  13. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Does Barefoot Jerry count? Needed some after watching the "Heartworn Highways" DVD. Also picked up another Steve Young album and played four Chris Gaffney CDs the other night.

14. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

It must be the latest by Dwight Yoakam "Second Hand Heart" (2015). It's a pretty rocking album and perhaps not the most country-style he has made. But I'm a big fan of Yoakam, he is my favorite country artist over the last thirty years. I don't think it is a collection of the most memorable songs of his but there are plenty of perfectly good guitars. Unfortunately, it is a bit LOUD, just like the previous "3 Pears" (2012) which is up there with my Dwight favorites musically. It's a rather psyhedelic country-prog album.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

I bought it a couple of months ago but had not played it yet.

16. janschfan

janschfan Senior Member

Down Every Road 1962-1980 - the great Merle Haggard!

17. panasoffkee

panasoffkee Forum Resident

Currently waiting for
    Marty Robbins- Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
    Loretta Lynn- Van Lear Rose

wlove2372, DLD, Marzz and 1 other person like this.
  18. Augustus McRae

Augustus McRae Forum Resident

Found a couple of my dad's Light Crust Doughboys albums in the basement.

jonathan likes this.
  19. devildavid

devildavid Forum Resident

I'm pretty new to the forum so just wanted to chime in as having some interest in country music. Two of my absolute favorite artists are Hank Williams, Sr. and George Jones. While I am more of a rock and roll/pop music fan those two are right up there in my music collection. I also have one Patsy Cline CD and some Bob Wills. Now on my wish list are some collections of The Carter Family.

Maybe you country fans can give me recommendations to further expand my country collection.

20. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

• Jamey Johnson
    • Chris Stapleton
    • Aubrey Sellers
    • Sturgill Simpson
    Thank you Merle and Waylon

ramdom, Marzz and Volt-and-Volume like this.
  21. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

A Jimmie Rodgers (Singing Brakeman) compilation

GreenFuz, sami and devildavid like this.
  22. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I found this original Jimmie Rodgers 78 in a thrift store a few weeks ago:

[​IMG]

It appears to be in mint condition but currently I have no way to play 78s.

hugh . g., Svein Arne, Devon and 6 others like this.
  23. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

There's enough George Jones to keep you busy for a bit, add in Merle Haggard and there's a 100 years of recording. I bought myself a couple of boxes (the old Capitol and the Mercury sets) and picked off a few that I liked and expanded from there. You then start to look at who's recording who's songs and who's playing and it all kind of fans out. Out of control too! Anyway country is where the best singers, songwriters and musicians hang out, you're getting into quality stuff.

melstapler and devildavid like this.
  24. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

The last country album I bought was Don Gibson's A Blue Million Tears.

[​IMG]
    Ask me later this weekend, and I hope to have Hayes Carll's new Lovers and Leavers in hand.

[​IMG]

Dennis0675, Nice Marmot and McLover like this.
  25. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Got and played mine yesterday. :D And it will be heard again in this house, very soon!

I wouldn't call myself a country music collector, as such (or a collector of anything much... if I like it, then I buy it though do have to have fairly complete discographies of artists that I love) but I've been buying a few things in the general area of country, recently. Over the last couple of weeks and all comps, except for the above:

The Real Dolly Parton: 3 CD set (Although some of it's more 'pop' but there's enough tracks over the discs to make my own album comp for iTunes.) CD.
    The Definitive Don Williams. (Already had an LP comp but it was missing a lot of tracks and I've now some new favourites of his.) CD.
    Johnny Cash - Ultimate Gospel (Already had a lot of his music but I wanted a collection of his Christian music and discovered this on Amazon.) CD.
    Glen Campbell - The Inspirational Collection (Again, I wanted a collection of his Christian songs - already had a few compilations in my collection.) CD
    Willie Nelson - Greatest Hits & Some That Will Be (This is superb! And for me, better than the Essential CD I have.) 2xLP.
    Various Artists - A Tribute To Hank Williams (With Waylon Jennings, Charley Pride, Jim Reeves etc.) Cassette.
    Gene Autry - South Of The Border (A 'best of collection; not got to play it yet but it looks very interesting to me.) Cassette.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.