New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

To me, "early years" would cover up to Syd's departure.

goodiesguy, abor1g and marc with a c like this.
  2. Jason Michael

DMM does not describe a digital technology. The master is cut to metal rather than acetate. I am sure your copy of Money Jungle would've been sourced from the analog tapes at that time.

patient_ot likes this.
  3. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Meh, the fascination with the Syd silly songs era....hope thats not true.

Zombie, vitorbastos123, tkl7 and 2 others like this.
  4. But then thats only 2-3 albums for a box set??

5. Jason Michael

Well, I'm not working for Parlophone, so I know as much as you, and it's not my decision to make. But from my perspective, that is the early Floyd. The band changed appreciably after he left, and to me it would make a nice set. And, yes, short!

mr.datsun likes this.
  6. I actually agree with you that the Syd Years are considered the Early Years. I just don't think that if they are calling this next set a box the early years that it would be that small. But stranger things have happened....

7. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I am aware that DDM does not equal digital. My point was that people often complain that DMM albums sound thin or tinny, as if it is a characteristic of that cutting process. I suspect that these complaints are actually due to the primitive digital remastering done with mid-80s technology. The album clearly states that it was "remixed to digital tape" from an analog source.

Jason Michael likes this.
  8. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

It looks loike they may now be oop.

9. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

They seem to be out of print, but not yet officially deleted from catalog, so I would guess they will press more soon...

10. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I would agree that Syd leaving would be a major event and would perhaps be seen as the end of the early years. Darkside heralds a Floyd who become major players in the world of Rock like Zep, Who and The Stones and from then on there ain't no going back when the foot of pride comes down. ( could not resist a Dylan quote). I love all the albums up to and including Animals but the pre Darkside albums have a sort of innocent/experimental feel to them.

Hattipper and Mazzy like this.
  11. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

David Gilmour has stated (i think it was on the DSOM Classic Album Doc) that 'Echoes' is where it started and went along the path they did.

12. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

DMM pressings have a lower volume level and less distortion. Maybe the lower volume level is the problem for many listeners.

13. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Echoes is a wonderful track and David Gilmour always has interesting things to say about the band's work. I can see how it would be a starting point. Some great live versions exist as well. Maybe one day there will be an SACD of the studio track.

14. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Don't underestimate the wealth of rarities in the vault.

marc with a c likes this.
  15. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

We could see stereo versions of Arnold Layne and Candy and a Currant Bun, being as they found the multitracks of those a couple years ago. VM and STLS should finally see the official light of day. I also seem to recall a Nick Mason interview in which he said he had recordings of very early Floyd (live recordings, I think).

16. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I watched a show on David Gilmour a few days ago. I got a kick out of DG telling us the fact that he needs a cheat sheet to remember which verse goes where for "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"

pexie and Hattipper like this.
  17. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Animals! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!! :pineapple:

Manimal, Szeppelin75 and Hattipper like this.
  18. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I'll get excited when we know what the sources are. I'm holding my load till then.

19. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

He also sang the wrong verse during Comfortably Numb while guesting at Roger's Wall show.

Preston and Vinyl Addict like this.
  20. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Thank you for this.

21. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

can't wait!

wouldn´t be nice an Eaerly Years vinyl box sets with a nice booklet and an extra discs with alt takes or rarities

Buddhahat likes this.
  22. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

An all-encompassing Early Years box would not be that short in actuality:

The 1965 demos
    Arnold Layne/Candy & a Currant Bun/See Emily Play
    Tonite Lets All Make Love In London
    Piper (mono and stereo)
    Apples & Oranges/Paintbox/Vegetable Man/Scream Thy Last Scream
    Saucerful (mono and stereo)
    All BBC recordings from this era
    Extras from the last Piper set
    Any other alternate takes
    Live stuff that can be salvaged/John Latham/Beechwoods
    A DVD/blu Ray of promo films and TV appearances

Right there, you'd be at around four discs or so. And that's before I selfishly ask for the "It Would Be So Nice" and "Point Me At The Sky" singles which fit with the tone of the era (to my ears, at least).

This would be an easy to compile/sell set. It's just a matter of designing the marbles, really.

23. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

And that list doesn't mention the stereo/mono versions of several of those songs. I'd also like to get Julia Dream and Biding my Time. I don't think this set will have the Piper and Saucerful albums, though. Just my impression.

marc with a c likes this.
  24. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Anyone interested in an Early Years set will have those albums anyway, possibly many times over. Maybe a vinyl mono Piper would be welcome.

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  25. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

I don't have them and am very interested in getting them. In my neck of the woods finding decent copies is a challenge and if you find them they are beat to **** and are way over priced.