Pete Zorn multi-instrumentalist passed away in his sleep this morning.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 3rd Uncle Bob, Apr 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident Thread Starter

Pete Zorn multi-instrumentalist (acoustic guitar, mandolin, bass flute, penny whistle, sopranino, alto and baritone saxes) born May 29, 1950 passed away April 19, 2016. He had been diagnosed with advanced lung and brain cancer earlier this month. Toured extensively with Richard Thompson.
    [​IMG]

YearOfGlad and Daniel Thomas like this.
  2. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Saw him many times with the RT Band. He and Danny Thompson always did such a fantastic job on "Al Bowlly's In Heaven".

He'll be missed by many.

3. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. How sad.

Saw Pete with RT many times - such a talented musician and on the couple of occasions I had to talk with him he seemed a modest and easy-going man.

My condolences to family and friends.

Best Wishes,
    David

SquaRoots and 3rd Uncle Bob like this.
  5. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

Also part of Driver 67, with is brother in law Paul Phillips, for this UK novelty single:

adriatikfan likes this.
  6. One of my favourite RT clips (of one of my favourite RT line-ups).

A joyful rendition of 'Danny Boy' with a very animated RT.

Best Wishes,
    David

3rd Uncle Bob and Jerryb like this.
  7. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Terrible news. A very creative man.

8. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

This year is getting worse.

9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Very sad to hear.

RIP Pete.

Been a horrible year for people passing away.

10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

And in Steeleye Span in recent years. A great player.

11. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

12. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Zorn was the Swiss Army knife of sidemen. He had so much instrumental range (and was such a great backing vocalist as well) that I was fairly surprised when Richard Thompson dropped down to a trio configuration, but perhaps this explains it. He certainly went out on a high because his firey soprano sax work on 'Sidney Wells' from 2010’s Dream Attic was possible his most memorable contribution to RT's studio albums.

Under the circumstances perhaps we can give Richard Thompson the last word on the first four months of this year: bad news is all the wind can carry.

13. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

This is a very fitting quote from Richard Thompson from the Live at Celtic Connections video booklet:
    "I first worked with Pete when we recorded with Gerry Rafferty in the late 70s," explains Thompson. "He played bass on Shoot Out The Lights in 1981 but switched to saxophone on the next album, Hand Of Kindness, because we wanted a broader palette of sounds for those songs, things like Two Left Feet and Tear Stained Letter. Pete's been pretty much a constant band member over the last twenty years. He's also a good singer which means I can put songs in the set that I can't always pull off as well when I'm playing solo shows. Pete's versatility brings with it so many arrangement possibilities, he's like three people for the same money."

14. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I didn't remember that he played bass on SOTL but that quotation reminds me: Zorn's enduring contribution to "Shoot Out The Lights" was the mandolin solo that he put onto that song in later years ... ;)

15. cobbler

cobbler Forum Resident

Sad news. Saw him with Richard Thompson, great musician.

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  16. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

Saw him with Steeleye Span and Richard Thompson. He really was a great musician. RIP.

17. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

Such a great loss. RIP

Apart from Pete's magnificent work with RT and others, I've always liked the F F Z album a lot:

mikrt17 and adriatikfan like this.
  18. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I only saw him once live with RT and he was so interesting to watch that it took some of the focus off Richard. He was like a mad scientist in the lab changing instruments constantly and singing his heart out. It made for more of a balance of power coming off the stage.....very impressive stuff. I feel bad about so many of our great musicians leaving us behind but we're all on that journey. Look out,look up, look around, Pete Zorn your world...play with joy and abandon and make the world a better place.

YearOfGlad likes this.
  19. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

I remember this album very well as an engineer I recorded this album some 45 years ago I've bumped
    into Pete a few times over the years and I am very sad to hear of his passing, as well as a very fine musician
    he was a lovely guy and very easy to work with.

20. Django

Django Forum Resident

Only 4 months in and 2016 is turning out to be a poxy year for music fans.

21. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

This is getting to be too much to comprehend! RIP

22. Don't know how I could have forgotten this.

Saw Show of Hands yesterday evening (great show!) and they paid tribute to Pete from their time together in the early 80s in the 'Arizona Smoke Revue' and dedicated their song 'Exiles' to him.

I saw ASR at an early Cropredy and they were very good and still have a cassette of their album kicking about here somewhere.

Best Wishes,
    David

23. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

i'd heard he wasn't doing well. like many here i saw him many times with richard thompson. he really added some great musical color with his contributions.
    rip pete

24. YearOfGlad

YearOfGlad Forum Resident

This is terribly sad news.

The only good I can take from it is that he looked like he had a heck of a good time in his years on this Earth Certainly packed a lot of music into them. He also looked EXACTLY like a crazy bachelor uncle who plays the saxophone. (He reminded me of Red Groetzinger, whom I sew many times in Chicago playing with the Son Seals Band.)

I love the version of "I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight" at the beginning of this great video from 2013 at the BBC. I had tried to "get into" Richard Thompson about once a decade with no success until just last year, but when I saw this I was hooked.

Turns out RT is not just a wimpy folk singer shivering in a damp wool sweater singing about druids and unicorns. No, RT is a funky dude with a crack rhythm section who has a BARITONE SAXOPHONE playing lead on his most famous song. This is a guy I have to go see live.

[​IMG]

Pete Zorn huffs, puffs, blows house down starting at 2:24:

YoG

25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Oh poo. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.