"Really Useful Boxes" for storage records and cds

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stenway, Apr 20, 2016.

1. stenway

stenway Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't like use shelving racks, "IKEA KALLAX" etc. for my records/singles/cds, I prefer individual plastic boxes, IMO gives more protection that anything.

The "Really Useful Boxes" catch my attention, I like that have a flat floor and looks like have squared side, my actuals have rounded sides, not flat flood and not solid, I'm looking a replacement.

[​IMG]

12 inch: the problem! that I see on the picture is almost NO space on the sides, so if by example the record have outer sleeve is possible that don't fit :(

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    for 7 inch looks better more space on sides.

[​IMG]
    for CD's looks good.

someone has try this boxes? do you recommend it?
    thanks.

2. onebit

onebit Forum Resident

I use the 9 litre and 3 litre for CD storage. I haven't tried them for vinyl.

They are well made and stack-able. Sometimes I wish they were just slightly deeper, as jewel cases fit fairly tightly against the lid when the box is full.

3. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Really expensive boxes.

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have almost a dozen of the white strong XL boxes for records. They are the best record boxes/crates I have ever seen or used. ALL of my LPs are in outer sleeves.

I have about 30+ of the small 3L boxes for CD storage in Jazzloft sleeves.

For record boxes, a cheaper solution that is not quite as good but adequate for most people are the corrugated plastic boxes from Bags Unlimited. When I shipped half my collection across the country, I bought some of these and have been generally very happy with them.

Beamish13 likes this.
  5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

They are not cheap, shipping adds more cost for sure. The LP boxes, at least in the U.S., can only be ordered from their site which ships out of a warehouse near Chicago. The smaller boxes I use for CDs can often be purchased on sale at office supply stores.

Again, not cheap, but you get what you pay for with these.

6. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

In my experience if your lps are in polythene covers they're too wide to fit. I note that the images give some indication of this, buyer beware.

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Are outer sleeves a different size in the UK? Because I have hundreds of LPs in outer sleeves in these boxes below:

Go Shopping - Really Useful Boxes - 35 litre XL Really Useful Box »

And those LPs are fitting in the white strong boxes just fine. Maybe a tad snug in the box, but nothing that causes any worry whatsoever. Again, hundreds of LPs stored in these things with outer sleeves from at least 4-5 different manufacturers I've sure. Never had a problem. I can't say if the boxes or outer sleeves are a different size in the UK. I can only speak to what I get here in the USA.

Some sample pics here in case anyone thinks I'm making this up:

My Favorite Record Crates »

lightbulb and Shak Cohen like this.
  8. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

The boxes look exactly the same as do the covers, don't know why there's a difference. Do you measure in liters in the US, perhaps something gained in translation?

9. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I use them for CDs. Work well and you can stack them

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

We are on the English Standard measurement system here in the U.S. However, all of the REB products I've ever purchased are marketed and labeled in "liters".

11. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I use a bunch of different sized for all sorts of stuff. I like them much better than most of the bins out there. I do wish they paid better attention to the footprint dimensions as they have lots of very slightly different sizes than don't stack as cleanly as they might. I keep their table of different sizes on my phone so its handy when I am at Office Depot.

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I never had that issue when I lived in the UK with my lps that were in sleeves with these boxes. At the worst they were just touching the sides but they fit and there was no real issue. I could see it being a problem if you use extra large lp sleeves and in particular those PVC type sleeves which are harder than regular sleeves and are wider might pose a problem.

If you do buy them you need to make sure you get the XL lid or the box won't close. You can only fit the lps in with an XL lid.

I wish they were easily available in Canada. I can get the larger box but not with the larger lid. Quite annoying.

They really are great for lp storage. They used to sell them at the Olympia Record fair. Not sure if they still do but up until I left they always had a pretty big set up.

patient_ot likes this.
  13. stenway

thanks to all and patient_ot for the pictures :righton:
    yes looks like fit even with outersleeve but so close! almost not space.
    I use the "blake sleeves" by the way... Record Album Sleeves - LP Covers - Frost and Clear | ClearBags »
    and yes the "white strong" are the solid ones... the clear ones with colors looks "cool" but yes the strong looks better.
    it would be nice if this company release a new ones REALLY MADE for records 12/10/7 inch with a enough space on sides.
    and yes are not cheap even more expensive if you are outside USA or UK.

patient_ot likes this.
  14. Mx5468

Mx5468 Well-Known Member

How long does it take to receive an order in the US? I placed an order back in mid July and I still haven't received anything.

15. stenway

I still not order any box, boxes and shipping are expensive.
    share you review if you get the boxes, I hope you get it soon.

16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You might want to call them.

847-238-0444

I only ever had one problem with an order, and that was because they were out of stock and waiting for more from the supplier. Once I called them it got straightened out very quickly.

17. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

Robert C likes this.
  18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have 28 35L XL boxes housing Lps and polythene covers on half of them. The only Lps that don't fit are were the covers are over size non standard (quite rare). Also have smaller boxes for Cds and other stuff. These are by far the best storage boxes on the market and the Lp ones are far cheaper than pro flight cases.

patient_ot likes this.
  19. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

20. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

That looks great! How many records can you fit in one?

21. Hermetech Mastering

You can fit about 100 records in each "section" (it tells you on each products page). I thought they were very cheap for how good they look/work, and shipping wasn't too bad to France either. I have one of these smaller ones too, sits by my TT and room for a night's DJing there no problem. :)

Zomo, VS-Box, VS-Box-100-1, VS »

22. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

It would be cool to see a photo of how they look in real life. Could you take one?

23. Hermetech Mastering

24. Hermetech Mastering

That's about half full.

25. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Very nice Hammer tech. Wish they were available in the U.S.