Paul McCartney's "One On One" Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 5th-beatle, Feb 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

And he has been constantly touring from 2009 onwards. He has toured more in the past 15 years than at any other comparable period in his life.

theMess, DrBeatle and Bullis like this.
  2. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I saw a performance of his on TV in 2010 and my impression was his voice was no longer capable of handling those long concerts. He was constantly off-key and his voice was totally worn out.

I've chosen not too listen to his recent performances. It makes me a little sad.

The fact that he still plays songs in the original key and chooses to keep songs like "Maybe I'm Amazed" in the repertoire would suggest he is probably, at least partially in denial of his current voice limitations.

This is not meant as harsh criticism. I think he is still has a trick or two up his sleeve as a song writer and recording artist, but he should definitely downsize his touring act to match his current abilities.

DrBeatle likes this.
  3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

You are certainly welcome to your opinion. And I'm not saying I don't enjoy Paul's performance, as strained as it is. It's still a great performer doing a great song. I find myself turning into a Periscope junkie, watching him perform at every opportunity despite the strained voice and the limited number of different songs one will hear from night to night. But trying to put subjectivity aside as much as is possible, it's scaring me (if scared is the right word) that we've moved from there being a handful of songs that he "shouldn't" be singing anymore ("Maybe I'm Amazed", "Live and Let Die" and "I've Got a Feeling" the prime candidates in the current set list) to him struggling for some moments during almost EVERY song ("My Valentine" being a song that seems to perfectly suit his current capacities, and one he can knock out of the park on a pretty regular basis).

4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Paul's vocal problems go beyond just straining for high notes -- it's a question of the entire tone of his voice. I'm not sure that changing keys would help with the croaking and warbling.

5. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Not singing as bad as Harrison during Darkhorse tour

6. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I think- with all respect- that this voice- discussing are turning out to be a angst-fiest of sorts. As I mentioned before I agree about the condition of Pauls vocals. But come on. Page after page after page were most postings deal with just about the same thing. Worrying, complaining and giving Paul all kind of advice. As if Paul-a professional artist since 1960 needs advice from us here. Im sorry but it is ridicilous.
    Whatever Paul do or doesn t do to take care of his voice we don t know anything about
    Whatever key is best for him to sing I guess he has more clues about than us
    If he lives in denial or not- well I guess we don t know anything about that either.

It s obvious that Paul is aging and that his vocal-skills are -I guess-permanently damaged. I don t see anything sad or tragic in that. Perhaps it s a bit sad if Paul-like some of his peers-has a hard time leaving the spotlight. But there is nothing we can do about it. Absolutely nothing.
    One can argue that I should stay away from this thread if I feel the way I do. Probably true-but I could just as easily argue that those who experience such angst about Pauls singing very easy could stay away from being confronted by it.
    I also understand that there is real passion behind much of these discussion. But as I see it-very few artists have given us and the world so much musical joy that Paul has. Obviosly he continues to do so for many who attend his show. Why not accept them for what they are instead of arguing about what they don t are and never will be.

Michael Ries, Benno123 and kevintee like this.
  7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

So are we taking bets? Will South Dakota get Rocky Raccoon? I say ... yes.

Will Minneapolis generate any Prince influence on Paul's set? I say ... no (but suspect Paul will mention Prince at some point).

8. mrjinks

How come (a) you didn't buy me a beer at the show. I was a guest in your state, you know. And (b) you haven't chimed in with a review (especially after I asked for one)?

theMess likes this.
  9. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Agree, and let's keep in mind when we talk about Graham, Aaron, and let's throw Tony Bennett in there, they haven't been singing like Little Richard for 60+ years. I think that really has taken it's toll on Paul's vocals. Though, curiously, some of Paul's best recent vocals are on the "sawdust" vocals (I've Got A Feeling)

theMess and Bemagnus like this.
  10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Had Paul and Prince ever met?

11. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Tragic it is not. Whether you feel sad about it, its entirely subjective.

To me it's sad to learn that an absolute master of the drums like Phil Collins injured his back and can no longer steadily hold a fork in his hand (I read that he has recently undergone new surgery to address this problem) and that he had to tape the drumsticks to his hands to play in his 60s homage record "Going Back."

Likewise, I find it sad that an absolute masterful singer like McCartney finds it tough to stay in key for a lot of regular songs in his set list. That's why I no longer check clips of his recent concerts as I used to do in the past -- I would typically check when he introduced some unusual song into his setlist.

12. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Good question - I sort of feel like they had at some point a while back - but I personally don't know.

I *do* know that it had always been one of my biggest wishes back in the 80's that they'd collaborate on something. Anything. "Chopsticks" even!

13. RayS

Paul does seem to have a penchant for the obvious, and "Rocky Raccoon" IS obvious, so I'll second the "yes".

Re: Prince. How many times in his solo career has Paul performed the song of a contemporary, or someone who got established in the biz after him? I can't think of one (discounting his fellow Beatles).

theMess and DrBeatle like this.
  14. Arnold Grove

As far as I can recall, I never heard of Paul and Prince meeting.

15. Arnold Grove

It happened at least once, for Ian Dury:

theMess and RayS like this.
  16. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

I think you're right but it just seems impossible to believe that two of the biggest music artists of the decade never crossed paths. Especially as both had a quite a bit in common in terms of how they work - both such talented multi-instrumentalists, self-producing DIY types in the studio...both Geminis of course as well. ;)

Can't imagine one would necessarily have sought the other out but just crazy to think they may never have even run into each other...like not at the Grammys or a similar event somewhere in US or UK even....? Crazy stuff.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  17. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

Paul just tweeted he spent New years with him!

We could be Paul fans and/or (and for most of "and" Prince fans). At this point, how much would you pay for Prince to give a concert where he struggled to hit some of the notes compared to his 25 year old self?

Also remember croaky is not new - in the 80's and 90's it was strong BUT croaky in some cases and he really oversung. Now, he doesn't do that.

18. RayS

So we should ignore it? Not talk about it? Pretend it's not there? Just tell me what you're requiring of me. :)

EDIT: I'm staying up until 2 in the morning to watch concerts from the middle of the audience on someone's phone that inevitably cuts out 20 times in the course of the night. I'm pretty clearly cherishing the time the performer has left. But why must I deny reality?

19. mrjinks

Paul tweeted that he spent NYEve in the company of His Purpleness.

Paul McCartney on Twitter »

theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Well, then, this might have been the first time they indeed met in person. Any idea where Paul and Prince were on New Years Eve? Was there a Prince concert, because it sounds like Prince was playing some music (according to Paul's twitter message)?

21. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

Oh man. And your team is set at OL, TE, WR, has a stingy defense AND has the 4th pick in this year's draft...

This does not make me happy.

Signed,

scoostraw - NY Giants fan

RayS likes this.
  22. mrjinks

The only reason I bring it up is that he'll be hitting Mpls so soon after Prince's passing. Given the past 24 hours, it seems that Prince's passing is on a level with Bowie's and I think it will still be big news when he arrives there. I certainly wouldn't expect to see Macca doing "Kiss" or anything in tribute, but I do think he'll have to mention something during the show. Just curious how he'll do it. Maybe around Here Today?

theMess likes this.
  23. mrjinks

An article I saw mentioned they also had met at (I think?) the SNL anniversary show, where I believe they both performed.

theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  24. Arnold Grove

I'm answering myself:

Paul spent New Year’s Eve at a bash in St. Barts with Prince.

And it looks like they met previously in early 2015 at the after-party for Saturday Night Live’s 40th anniversary celebration.

theMess likes this.
  25. Arnold Grove

Thanks---and as you can see, I did some quick googling to get the same info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.