New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

This all looks very dodgy to me. I can't see anything on the British Amazon site relating to Floyd vinyl reissues. My hopes dashed again....

davesmoked likes this.
  2. RHCD

RHCD Reverend Bong

You'd think they'd be jumping on the let's do it right AAA like the Beatles mono bandwagon. Shame

3. Raving Russell

Not a bad thing to have to resort to and the puns are fun.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  4. peter

peter Senior Member

So true, but I have found that my early, purchased within a few days of release, US pressing to be quite good - and this from someone who is no fan of post 1970 U.S. Columbia vinyl.

5. peter

peter Senior Member

I regret passing one up a few years ago at Amoeba. Well done.

hi_watt likes this.
  6. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident Thread Starter

Unfortunately, Amazon UK removed the listings not long after discussion began on this thread a couple of weeks back.

I don't think there were ever any listings for these releases on the US and Canadian Amazon sites. Other Amazon sites (Italy, Spain, France, Germany) still have a number of the listings active, however.

Raving Russell likes this.
  7. His LP will sound better than a copy you order. :tiphat:

latheofheaven and stagnation like this.
  8. I worked in the record biz through much of the 70s. Columbia vinyl was actually really good. Up there with Warner Bros. The two best.

9. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Every copy of Animals or WYWH on U.S. Columbia '70s pressings sound fine that I've heard, I listened to an original U.S. Animals recently that sounded fantastic.

10. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I have US and UK Animals on vinyl and the UK is in a whole new world. Took what sounded ok to good, to one of my favorite lps to play.

11. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

The funs in the pun

WapatoWolf likes this.
  12. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Mikemoon - is the U.K. pressing noisy? I had a lackluster U.S. pressing and sold it (decades ago) when I got a Japanese pressing, which was much better. I wonder how the JPN compares to the UK?

13. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

The UK is pretty quiet, my US copy is pretty noisy but looks clean. I don't have the JPN but I have a UK and JPN for Meddle.

Preston likes this.
  14. Raving Russell

Agree, the UK First Pressing of Animals is good. I do like the 2011 remaster CD though.

15. AWESOM-O

AWESOM-O Forum Resident

Usually they mean "upgraded shipping speed". But a very small but persistent part of me hopes they mean content...

16. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Ditto.
    My original US Animals is super noisy, though visually it is most definitely NM.

telepicker97 likes this.
  17. peter

peter Senior Member

I need to do an a/b.

I think, in retrospect, it was very, very hard to top the 3 album run of Meddle/Dark Side/WYWH. Animals is right there with those 3, maybe not quite an equal, but so close, and only a little "behind" but only because of what preceded them.

18. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

The U.K. pressing is far superior to the JPN pressing IMO. I sold my JPN copy, but kept my UK and US copies. The UK is really the way to hear this.

latheofheaven, Preston and Pancat like this.
  19. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

We so need these released "properly" I was hoping for a box set not some half hearted one at a time under the radar release. Here's hoping.....

20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

As I have recounted elsewhere I have a French day of issue original of 'Animals' which I continue to prefer to a recently-acquired early UK pressing -maybe just out of affection. Great-sounding record, whatever the reason.

21. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Dito on Roll another.

I certainly don't want anything over-bloated or a huge piece of real estate to keep it in.

A concern is which mix of Vegetable Man will we get. I'm hoping for the earlier Jenner version or a new sympathetic 'period'-sounding mix.

goodiesguy likes this.
  22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You mean to tell me that Vegetable Man could get released and that there is a chance folks would still bitch that it is the wrong mix?

Oh dear.

23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

If you would be happy with 80s reverb added to Vegetable Man then that's fine. I'm expressing a hope for the best, not bitching. And it's not as if we haven't heard it already.

Why don't you pre-emptively complain about people discussing various analogue and mono desires and the shape and size of boxes, too?

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

What 80s reverb are you talking about - an 80s mix I did not hear I guess.

25. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I think Malcolm Jones did remixes of Vegetable Man and Scream Thy Last Scream for inclusion on the Opel album (they weren't included in the end of course).