Vinyl Shops in Tokyo, Japan and Japan in General

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by mikemoon, Jan 17, 2014.

1. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident

Thanks for your response. I am both a CD and vinyl collector.

I have heard good things about the record stores in Tokyo. I'd love to visit sometime.

Is there anyone else who's visited stores in Tokyo in recent years who can share their experiences and how the shops compare to those in the U.S.?

2. yookmook

yookmook Forum Resident

disk union ochanomizu jazz branch is good for your category.

3. wumpah

wumpah Member

Two years ago, prices at ochanomizhu DU also shoot up to horrible high due to the weak yen for metal and rock side. A jap copy of ozzy Lp with the obi intact title The Ultimate Sin which i got it at 300 yen and later i saw it again but selling at 800 yen at the same place which i bought it. As for the jazz side, i do not know whether prices differ any much since i dun listen to jazz at all but i doubt the prices remain the same there too. I mean if you are visiting japan and intend to buy record vinyl obviously you will go for the japan pressing instead of those US/UK press since you are in japan unless you are looking for some other alternatives and ultimately you do not mind paying for the high premium price there. But nobody can guarantee what the grooves will be like when there are hidden gems like popping sound or egg frying sound or best deep cut grooves with repeated sound effect which keeps repeating the same song sentence for half an hour.

4. Johnny Ryall

Johnny Ryall Forum Resident

5. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

I believe we will be visiting Osaka in May as part of our trip mate !

6. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

went to this Record Fair in Ikebukoro last weekend...HUGE! It happens about every 2 or 3 months.
    Kind of a little pricey, but a huge selection from many sellers. The next one is the weekend of 3/20-21
    and then the first weekend in June...it's a few blocks Northwest of the Disk Union / Sunshine Street area....Darumaya is the company.

Gavinyl likes this.
  7. yookmook

yookmook Forum Resident

for member of disk union.

i guess you can get something.

[​IMG]

8. Potential Energy

Potential Energy Forum Resident

I'm headed to Tokyo & Osaka in a few weeks. Do most of the shops accept credit cards? Or will I need to pay in cash at many places?

9. yookmook

yookmook Forum Resident

yes, most of them accept credit cards but it's not a good rate.

happy hunting.

10. Potential Energy

Potential Energy Forum Resident

Do you mean the exchange rate used by the credit card companies, or do the shops charge something additional for using a credit card. Thank you!

11. yookmook

yookmook Forum Resident

exchange rate by credit card.

12. rcdupre

13. rcdupre

My amex charges a foreign transaction fee, unfortunately for you the dollar is in the toilet right now, about 112...it was at 123 in January

14. yookmook

yookmook Forum Resident

japanese yen is very strong right now.

if you plan to buy a lot.
    you 'd better exchange money with better rate from your place.

15. yookmook

yookmook Forum Resident

where is the best place to find second hand stylus in tokyo?

16. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

Am not sure if it's the best place but Audio Union has 2nd hand cartridges for sale. The Ochanomizu and Shinjuku ones are quite big. For new cartridges, the big camera stores like BIC and Yodobashi have quite good prices (without tax and with additional discount using coupons).

As a general rule, though, I don't like to buy 2nd hand cartridges because it is impossible to judge their condition and usage except for obvious problems (e.g. bent cantilever).

yookmook likes this.
  17. yookmook

yookmook Forum Resident

thank,
    ochanomizu will be the target.
    i hope japanese yen will weak in the next month.

18. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

Before you go, try Google Translating the Audio Union website. I think they list the used stuff that they have and at which location.

yookmook likes this.
  19. rcdupre

Was just at the Shinjuku one yesterday, the one on the 8th floor...another good one is at the DU Kichijoji Jazz shop

yookmook likes this.
  20. yookmook

yookmook Forum Resident

hi, anyone knows how to sell record to disk union in shinjuku or shibuya?

thank

21. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

I remember somewhere in this thread somebody said you just go to the counter and they give you a price and cash...very easy?

Do a search.

22. yookmook

yookmook Forum Resident

i contact DU and HMV.

Hmv gives me a better price. , still waiting on recofan.
    thank

23. rcdupre

You don't get much at DU, that's why their stuff is so much cheaper than Recofan....HMV sells used records???? Where???? どこ????

24. yookmook

yookmook Forum Resident

hmv record shop shibuya

rcdupre likes this.
  25. Rahul

Rahul Forum Resident

For Jazz, please visit Hals's Records at Shinjuku who has an awesome collection and much cheaper than Disc Union. The owner is an old gentleman who knows his music and will be more than helpful to find what you want. Here is their website:

Hal's JAZZ