Richmond Fontaine - You Can't Go Back If There's Nothing to Go Back To (2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Davey, Mar 5, 2016.

1. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Marzz, Davey and rob68 like this.
  2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies Thread Starter

You know, we're gonna want a full report, well maybe not all of us, but I'm looking forward to your report on the London show. They don't have any shows scheduled in my part of the US, unless I want to head up to Oregon. Hope they add some more shows, love to see them on this farewell tour, what a great band. Gonna miss them a ton, but lots of great records make it easier. Listening to this one again right now, lost count of the number of times now, but "Two Friends Lost At Sea" going by right now, he just can't stop thinking about his ex even while claiming he doesn't care, imagining her f-ing the new guy, making him pancakes in her underwear, great song. Just one of a bunch on this record. Love this album.

Richmond Fontaine: You Can't Go Back If There's Nothing to Go Back To »

3. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

@Davey, you can absolutely expect a full gig report following the show on Wednesday.

And unfortunately to make you US fans even more envious of us Europeans, RF have just announced dates for a second/final European tour in October including another London gig on October 22nd.

4. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

A great show last night for RFs penultimate London gig (the final "farewell tour" is in October) at Dingwalls, Camden, which was sold out (capacity 500).

We got nearly all of the new album as well as a smattering of older tracks (unfortunately, nothing from The Fitzgerald) which built a very sold 100min set. Personal favourites were Night In the City, Lonnie and Post To Wire.

Willie Vlautin is a fantastic front-man whose comedic song intros show he would have a good side line in comedy if he didn't already have his writing and other musical ventures to keep him busy, but its in songs/miniature-movies of life on the other side of the tracks that Willie really excels. Hearing this group of songs together, in a live setting, really emphasized the amazing way his lyrics show a snapshot of ordinary people in tough situations, some their own fault, some just bad luck.

Anyone wanting to hear a sample of how the band (well, Willie and Dan) can find a soundboard recording from a show earlier this month in Copenhagen:

Fra kælderen ...: 2016-04-10 - Richmond Fontaine - Copenhagen KB18, DK »

stefane likes this.
  5. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Craig...was there a 'tour' cd for sale at the London gig? They usually have something exclusive for sale on their tours. I am going to see them next week in Glasgow so want to know what they are selling.

6. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

No, I didn't see any tours CDs for sale.

7. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

@gohill - no, there were not any tour CDs on sale that I saw.

8. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Just found out that there were two non-LP cuts - Walking Alone and Slim & Margy - released on certain versions of The Deline's Colfax album, as well the 7inch relase of Oilrigs at night.

Took me an hour, but I managed to find a way to legally download these songs and am now very, very happy to have a couple of "new" Delines songs to listen to tonight!

Davey likes this.
  9. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

URGH - and after all the "work" I just found out that there was yet another version of Colfax released, a special 2xCD from Rough Trade, which includes not only the above two tracks, but also a cover version (What One Bottle Can do) and two tracks from a KEXP session.

Finding a downloadable version of the What One Bottle Can Do is proving a bit tough so far.

10. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

The standard vinyl pressing is excellent, quiet and sounds good.

The vinyl has two less tracks than the cd,which I only noticed when I played it (had the mp3 till then) , probably so it can fit on one LP.

Normally I'll be annoyed by this but I actually think the album flow is much better now!, 'wake up ray' is a better choice for an opening track than the dreary 'leaving ...' , it gives the album a momentum that it needs to balance the slower songs that follow, also 'easy run' feels to me like a bonus track, I'm glad they left it out.

In any case , this is an excellent album, an impressive farewell.

11. Davey

Actually it's 3 less tracks on the vinyl, but it's only about 6 minutes or so, and I think you're right, it probably does punch up the record a bit.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  12. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

What's the third track ?, I'm being lazy :help:

13. Davey

The Blind Horse, which is track 11 of 13 on the download at 2:14.

I haven't heard it yet but the limited edition vinyl came with the CD below ...

Knocking Around
    1 You'll Make It I Know
    2 A Night In The City (Demo)
    3 Where The Hell Is Red?
    4 I Got Off The Bus (Demo)
    5 The Cops Are Outside Bruno's
    6 Knocking Around
    7 In The Back Of A Truck
    8 Whitey And Me (demo)

14. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Excellent info, thanks for starting this thread :thumbsup:

15. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

16. Davey

That's a shame, hope she makes a full recovery, probably gonna be quite a bit of physical therapy in her future.

Nice interview with Willy in the Guardian last Sunday ... Willy Vlautin: ‘I had a picture of Steinbeck and a picture of the Jam’ »

And they just released a video for one of the songs left off the vinyl that me and @Doctorwu were just talking about above, The Blind Horse, for those of you that haven't downloaded the extras ... nice stuff, filmed at the Black Rock Desert by Brad Beenders ...

Doctorwu likes this.
  17. Davey

I know, and no US dates, it's been many years since they were down in my part of the country. It's our own fault though, they've always had a bigger audience in your part of the world, can't blame them, still they are going out in style. Not really too many bands that I can honestly say this about, but really gonna miss this one. Listening to the new one today, like so many other days, and starting to miss them already.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  18. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

It is interesting how RF's style of music has really struck a chord with European audiences and lucky for us EU fans that they've toured over here for every album since Post To Wire.

And, whilst it is sad/great that they are bowing out with such an amazing album - maybe the quintessential RF album - we are lucky that we'll continue to hear Willy's great song-writing in The Delines (Colfax has completely blown me away since first hearing it - based upon your recommendation - and I'm now so excited about a new release from them hopefully later this year or in early 2017).

Davey likes this.
  19. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Picked up a copy of the limited edition gold vinyl yesterday!

Davey likes this.
  20. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

This is turning out to be one of their best, beautiful doom.

Davey likes this.
  21. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

I got this LP a while back but just spinnin or for the first time now. I was a fan of a couple of records a few years ago but haven't heard the last 2. I got this one because of reading about it here and because it's their final record. I'm really liking it! Sonically it sounds really nice.

22. Davey

Cool, glad to hear you are liking it! Probably already mentioned it above, but the amazing Post To Wire from 2003 got a really nice vinyl issue a few years ago for the first time in a heavy gatefold via Decor in the UK, getting harder to find for a decent price now, but very well worth it if you can. That's probably still my favorite, but I like a bunch of their records. Great band.

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  23. Larry Loves LPs

Good to know. I love Post to Wire and was curious about the vinyl version. There aren't any for sale on eBay and I've had it on my want list on Discogs for a while. I guess it is getting hard to get.

24. Davey

I bought a new one from Best Buy a few months ago, not sure if they can get more, still show it online. It took about 3 weeks to ship and cost $35, which is kind of pricey for a single LP, but it is OOP, and includes a bonus 7" with a couple more songs from the sessions, and is a very nice package and press from the UK... and of course I wanted it really really bad :)

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  25. Larry Loves LPs

Just got one online for $36. I love that record and played it as soon as I got it. So good!

Davey likes this.