Star Trek Continues (the series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JRM, Oct 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

JRM likes this.
  2. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Awesome news!!!!!

3. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

I hope they step up the writing quality for this next one. I think every aspect of STC is amazingly solid with the exception of the writing. The style of writing and the dialog is all great, but the ideas and themes are a bit weak compared to the original series. I don't mean to sound harsh because this is an amazing project that I want to see continue.

4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I like Vic Mignogna. He voiced Edward Elric in the English dub of Fullmetal Alchemist (also Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood), which is one of my favorite anime series ever. Sure, his voice is a little high for James Tiberius, but I like the way he handles Kirk. You can tell he has a real love for TOS.

JRM likes this.
  5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't know about that. I think a lot of the dialog and ideas are just as cheesy as those in TOS. TOS had much better (professional) actors and great comradery between the main cast (though Vic is very good in STC, Spock is starting to do a better Nimoy).

But STC does have great production values not only including audio effects and lighting, but a superior Enterprise rendering to both TOS and TOS remastered versions.

JRM likes this.
  6. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Well, at it's best, TOS is thought-provoking, mind-bending sci-fi that cleverly comments on the human condition. I didn't feel any trace of that in the last two episodes. I felt the civil war episode in particular, with it's rather generic themes of justice and bravery, just rang hollow.

7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Episode 6 is available for those that are interested.

Jerry Horne, Deesky and MikeInFla like this.
  8. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Thanks for the reminder.

Darryl

Encuentro likes this.
  9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I haven't watched it yet, but did skip around randomly for a bit, when I noticed a new blond crewperson. She seemed kind of cute but also vaguely familiar. I couldn't place her until I saw a closeup of her face and the way she formed her mouth to speak. Could this be Chiana (Gigi Edgley) from Farscape (which BTW I'm currently rewatching)? It was! Damn, I'd recognize that mouth anywhere. :)

No Static likes this.
  10. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

12. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't know, I hope it wouldn't - but STC doesn't meet the "new rules." Lots of unanswered questions. Vic posted this Facebook:

"While we are grateful for and humbled by fan support, helping fan productions will not come in the form of anger and threats of boycott toward CBS. Those that are calling on the fans for any such actions do not represent the ideals of Star Trek, nor the best interests of Trek fan films in general. If you insist on spreading negativity about CBS, do it elsewhere. It is not welcome here and I've asked that any such posts be deleted immediately.

The last thing any of us would ever want would be for the owners of Star Trek to say, "Why are we spending so much time, effort and money on this? Let's just wipe the whole thing clean off the map and be done with it. It's not worth all this trouble."

A CBS representative will be on "Engage" the official Star Trek podcast on June 29. At that time, hopefully many questions will be answered, so let's wait and see before jumping to conclusions. If you wish to ask a question, you can do so on their Facebook page: Engage: The Official Star Trek Podcast »

Thanks again for your love & support of Star Trek Continues!

greelywinger and will_b_free like this.
  13. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

I like this show very much in spite of it's failings. Yes, the 'acting' really needs work overall but it has gotten better in the last 3 vs. the 1st 3. The sets are awesome & the stories were very good. I say were because ep's 4&5 are really weak compared to the prev. 4. They feel like season 3 castoffs rather than the higher level ones. I may be biased since they revisited the 'Mirror Mirror' episode & that one is in my top 5 for sure. I thought it turned out quite well. The 4th one was a surprise. The heartfelt theme was not lost on me & I watched it several times. I consider it to be the best so far & it strikes me as truly 'for the fans'. The episode also showed growth in Vic's acting ability as well.
    The last 2 are rather forgettable & I really hope some better scripts are in the pipeline for the remaining episodes.

14. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I'm just finding out about this now? Where have I been? I just watched episode 1 and I think it's great. Like being a kid again, watching TOS. Now to go watch the next episodes...

Jerry Horne likes this.
  15. MikeInFla

I also enjoy Star Trek: New Voyages. Guest appearances by George & Walter in two episodes. Check those out too if you haven't seen them. They have a new actor doing Kirk but James Cawley is still involved.

I haven't heard the June 29 podcast yet. Anyone hear it? If so did they discuss STC?

I noticed the New Voyages website is currently down.

They also have an actor that looks a lot like Jimmy Doohan.

16. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Loved this one...

Darryl

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Anyone see ep E07 Embracing the Winds?

It's an interesting episode very much in keeping with the 60s ethos of commentary on the real world at that time. It's ironic because while it does feel rather retro in it's ethical take on discrimination and social justice, it suddenly feels all too relevant in 2016! So much time, so little progress. A fine tale of morality in true Trek style.

18. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Thanks for the heads-up. Will watch it this weekend.

Darryl

19. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

20. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

I watched ep07 last night & really liked it. It's a return to the quality writing the show started with. It was nice to see a few little moments pointing toward the evolution of our hero's. I thought the "Maybe someday, a Garret will command the Enterprise" was a very nice touch indeed.
    (referencing the TNG episode; Yesterday's Enterprise)

All in all, this was a very good episode

21. MikeInFla

Yes, the new one is out. Might watch it this weekend on my TV instead of my phone or computer.

22. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I've been watching them on my Smart TV.

Darryl

23. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Any news on this show?
    It's the only ST fan production I watch.

Darryl

24. MikeInFla

New one!

greelywinger and No Static like this.
  25. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Glad to see they are still able to make these. Has Paramount ever said what their feelings toward STC, or do they tend to lump all the ST fan films together?

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.