New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I still would like to know if these LPs are going to be legitimately reissued, and if they are AAA or just the 2011 digital remasters on vinyl

rob303 and ptijerm like this.
  2. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

If I was a betting man I'd say they'll be like the recent DSOM, WYWH & The Wall vinyl reissues and digital masters.

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

You haven't heard the UK - a US Columbia I had sounded very poor in comparison. These will be digital if they appear I'm sure, but likely better sound than US. The current WYWH is fine though DSOTM and The Wall are anemic compared to original UK or 30th Anniv DSOTM.

4. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

One thing that nobody's mentioned or probably even thought about is that if they were AAA, what tapes would they use? A lot of PF's original masters are in poor shape, especially for some of the earlier albums. I think if done right, that the digital remasters would be better on vinyl.

melodic chaos likes this.
  5. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Does AAA even make financial sense for mass-market releases ?
    (The Mono Beatles, for instance, were marketed as limited editions, and their European prices were a far cry from mass-market prices.)

6. Graham

Graham Senior Member

The 2011 (?) WYWH reissue, digital or not, sounds great to me?!?

MHP and sjaca like this.
  7. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

Agreed re the WYWH reissue, it sounds very good. Tempted to by Dark side reissue now......
    Still think with a bit of marketing and a quality box set it would be a win win for the record company and the consumer...
    What's the view on the Dark Side latest reissue?
    Gary

8. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Dark side reissue is fantastic. To my ears anyways.

9. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I have the wywh and dsotm recent vinyl and they are great but get th EU optimal pressed ones. I had US presses I think from rainbo and barf ... Poor quality and non fill...

WYWH is the stand out however, never heard the wall reissue and I probably won't because they are all $50 and I can't tell if they are EU or not in the store lol

10. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

11. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

AAA totally makes financial sense. Those who dont know or care, buy it anyway.
    Plus, you get the nuffies like us drooling and buying 3 copies each!
    Wont happen though.

12. Farthingscat

Thanks Crazyhorse, I just ordered a copy from what records, £25 is worth a punt in my mind.
    Gary

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  13. RHCD

RHCD Reverend Bong

Anyone have a link to the specific recent pressings of Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon being praised above?

14. Classicrock

The 2011 WYWH is exceptionally good. Wish I could say the same about 2011 DSOTM and The Wall which are both rather anemic. Try and find a 30th Anniversary DSOTM (2003) which is AAA.

15. Farthingscat

Cheers classic rock, I have a 30th edition of dsotm and it's good but can't help feel it could be better....... That said it's an amazing amount of money for a 1st edition.....

Gary

16. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

I wasn't at all impressed with the anniversary edition of DSOTM, maybe need to listen again.

17. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I have the European versions of all three of those albums. For me, all of them are spoilt by being extremely noisy. A great shame. Underneath the noise I think they probably sound good though!

18. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

That's a shame, I have one WYWH and 2 DSOTM all pressed @ optimal and pretty perfect and quiet. I get lucky sometimes !

19. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

I posted NUMEROUS posts in another SH thread a month or so ago and all of you pooh poohed the information, so here it is again.
    I just bought(last month or so) all three of these from AS and everyone sounds, imo, stunning. I don't mean good, I mean stunning.
    AND DSOTM and WYWH are both 201 gram whereas the 2011's issues, which these still purport to be, were 180 gram.
    But they sound, well, just jaw droppingly superb.
    the beave

20. Classicrock

I don't know if those 1st press often with solid blue triangle are better (some had a flaw), but the 30th to my surprise is pretty much equal to my A3/B3 pressing. It certainly is superior to any later pressing I have owned.

These likely sound fine unless you have something better to compare. I have a UK 1st press Wall and the above mentioned DSOTM versions - and those 2 really don't compare. WYWH is nearly as good as an early UK with quieter backgrounds but I found it preferable to the Nimbus Supercut.

21. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

22. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

There's still plenty of time for this to be announced if it's a July 29th release date

23. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

Am I right in thinking that most Amazon preorders are not typically 3 months in advance? Most are a month, maybe 2.

24. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

You're not, no. There's no standard time involved. Some are more than a year away.

Hattipper likes this.
  25. Classicrock

Does anybody really believe it is more expensive to get out the tape and cut AAA? If the tape is in good condition there is no restoration required. Likely if tape is fragile it will be baked and transferred to hi-res for cutting.That is the only legit reason for going digital and it has extra time and cost involved. So apart from preserving tapes digital is just for convenience and laziness. No effort to look for the master if there is a digital copy that can be downloaded from the labels servers. A lot of effort was made to transfer all PF to digital so it's convenient to use these files for any vinyl release. If the tapes are OK I can't see significant time and cost in drawing them out of Abbey Road vaults. Vinyl cutting and set up process would be little different apart from loading tape reels to the transfer deck. Abbey Road are set up to do all this no problem.

Leviethan likes this.