"Better Call Saul" - pre season and Season One Discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Michael McKean is also a very nice man and very, very funny -- a total pro. I'm really glad he's working. I'm very curious to see what they'll do with him this season on Better Call Saul.

I think they're doing the best they can on a TV budget and a TV schedule. Bob Odenkirk is 53, so it's a stretch to make him look like he's in his 30s, no matter what. My take is that in the show's "present day," he's supposed to be about 40, about 5 years prior to the events of Breaking Bad.

I think they'll eventually get around to the key questions: whatever happened to Jimmy McGill's crazy brother? Whatever happened to his girlfriend? And did the Mexican cartel ever catch up to him at the Cinnabon in Omaha? I'm thinking for the final episode of the series, Saul will be sweeping up at the mall store, somebody will walk in, and he'll look up and say, "we're closed!", and the guy will shoot him right in the head. Cut to black, roll the credits.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    artfromtex likes this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

After finishing season 2 recently, I am hungry for more of this show and plan to rewatch seasons 1 and 2, starting today. Anyone care to join a discussion of season one (and then two, in the appropriate thread) again?

asdf35 likes this.
  3. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I also finished Season 2 the other day, and started at S1 again.

It struck me that S1 started out with Jimmy in full Saul-mode. He seems to regress in S2 into a less flamboyant lawyer.

bumbletort and George P like this.
  4. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

He buries his Inner Saul in S2 in a misguided effort to conform. Next season I suspect he ditches his Jimmy because it's just not him.

You have to be true to yourself to get anywhere in life, even if isn't you. I suppose.

Tim S and asdf35 like this.
  5. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I will probably rewatch season 1 again, which should be interesting.

stereoptic likes this.
  6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I just finished S2 and am disappointed in it. I liked the stories going on with Mike but found the majority of the show's subplots to be boring (most of the lawyer-firm stuff and Jimmy/Saul's brother's continued journey into the a-hole hall of fame).

7. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I liked the lawyer plot, and I think it's important in the long run in order to show exactly how and why Saul came to be Saul. But you're right, the Mike story is great. What a badass he is!

thesisinbold and bumbletort like this.
  8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Huh. I found the Jimmy/Chuck/Kim material riveting.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Absolutely! I much prefer the subtle interplay between complex characters than the kinetic, revenge type elements, though I do enjoy those too of course. But since the show has both elements, it's a win-win situation in my book!

stereoptic and Gumboo like this.
  10. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

My girlfriend watches BReaking Bad by herself. I am rewatching some episodes whenever she watches and I am at her place. Well, I was really surprised how different Jimmy is in Breaking Bad. So much sneakier, sleasier, nastier, already with connections. Just a crook. In Better Call Saul he is still a good person who had some bad conditions in life and cases of bad mis-communication with his brother.

11. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

He was all set up when we first saw him in BB. That was the point of going to see him. He literally had "a guy" for everything. Mike was his investigator, etc. He's much more connected in BB than at this point in BCS, which is what I would expect in a prequel.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  12. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I know I know, but I really forgot about that when I started Better Call Saul with the first season. I am just surprised how quickly I forgot how Saul was actually nasty and without any principles in BB. Goes to show how well they changed the character for the prequels making him very likeable.

mmars982, Hot Ptah and rburly like this.
  13. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I think they did soften the character and made him more complex so that they could base a whole series about him, but the point seems to be that by the time we met him in "Breaking Bad", he had already broken bad, that is, he had already traveled a path like that Walter White was then traveling and had let go his morals a long time ago. We're now learning why he chose that path. It seems not to be quite the epic tragedy that Walter's story was - less death and destruction... but who knows what is to come? Jimmy-Saul's story seems to be one of betrayal rather than Walters's hubris, but I'm eager to finding out.

14. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

of course. I am really anxious to see how he got to the Bad Saul so to speak.

15. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I keep watching on and off some episodes of BB with my girlfriend. Jimmy's good nature is again shown when he does not give up Jessie to Mike/Fring, but gives a fake address. Protecting his client to the last point.

GMfan87' and bumbletort like this.
  16. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

This is the best acted, best written show since The Sopranos. It's a plausible plot, realistic characters, and several actors who are really good.

bumbletort and mmars982 like this.
  17. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

It's strange though - in his very first BB episode, Saul suggests killing his client (Badger) to protect Walt & Jesse. More than once. It seems that Saul protects the client that are in his better interest (IE: who he can make the most money off of). There really is a huge difference between Jimmy & Saul that I didn't realize was quite so big until I re-watched some of his Breaking Bad episodes.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  18. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I remember him being a ruthless SOB on BB. I haven't seen it since it was on, but he always looked out for Saul. He took care of, and was loyal to, the big fish in his life. He did everything he could to make sure all was well in his world. So, I think Gilligan and Gould knew that had to create a whole world of backstory for Saul/Jimmy that wasn't where he was in BB for BCS. They can't dump his whole story into a season or two. They'll draw this out to at least 5 seasons, I'm sure.

mmars982 likes this.
  19. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

oh yeah, you're right. Also Saul mentions to furious Walt after he finds out about Skylar's affair that he caught his second wife with his stepdad as in "cheer up, I've had it quite worse." o_O what the hell was/is that about??

mmars982 likes this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

Dark humor.

21. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Great show. Shows us how Saul turned into the shady lawyer that we saw in Breaking Bad. He wasn't born like that, but circumstances and decisions that we are witnessing in Better Call Saul show his transformation, mainly do to his dick of a brother.

22. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I totally forgot about this - does this mean we're gonna be seeing two marriages and a stepdad on BCS???

Wait, is it even possible for Jimmy to have a stepdad?

the BCS writers have said they actually have people who's only job it is to make sure the BB and BCS facts line up - is this just going to be one of those "facts" that they can't reconcile and choose to ignore?

If so, I don't mind, its no big deal just kind of interesting.

23. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Ok wait.. let me backtrack.

Is it possible, given the timeline, that Jimmy has been married twice and had a stepdad before he ever gets to albuquerque?

We haven't been shown or told about this (other than the sunroof incident), but I guess technically it could happen, especially since we don't know when exactly Jimmy's Mom died.

24. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I thought maybe he was just lying to make Walt feel better. Seems plausible.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Dammit ! when's S03 startin' ?!

mpayan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.