New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Are you speaking from personal experience or speculating ? Because my own idle guess is that trusting precious master tapes (whatever their condition) to a mastering engineer is a lot more complicated, time consuming and costly than handing an artist/producer approved digital master to your pressing-plant in-house guy (or gal, as the case may be).

mr.datsun likes this.
  2. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Last year Andrew Sandoval delivered the original Pye mono Kinks master tapes from the UK to Kevin Gray in California. He cut them all analog, and those reissues can be had for less than $25, which is lower than the price of MOFI, AP, AF and other all analog audiophile releases. Same story with the Beatles mono reissues in 2014. Obviously they pressed a million of those, so the unit cost is lower than a short run. How many of those Kinks reissues do you supposed they pressed? 5000? 10000? The Kinks will sell a fraction of what the Beatles will, yet those albums were mastered with the same care, and are very reasonably priced.

So doing reissues the right way isn't necessarily more expensive, it's just so much quicker and easier to cut from digital transfers. I've said it before, if the master tape is in good condition, the only reason to cut from a digital transfer is laziness on the part of the reissue producer. Sure, some rights holders won't let tapes out of the vaults, but we're talking about Pink Floyd. They own their masters now, do they not?

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

With these particular reissues a lot more time was likely spent on preparing the digital masters than doing a straight cut from tape. The master tapes are at Abbey Road as is the cutting chain so we are not talking about sending a file for a bog standard knock off at GZ or Optimal. With these major artists the sales are going to be relatively high so any extra work involved has little relevance to the unit cost. The use of digital is mostly for convenience so they can use the same source for mastering all formats. In some cases it is possible that tapes are in poor shape because of the formula used. I believe there are problems with The Wall but the early albums pre 1974 should be on issue free tape stock.

Leviethan likes this.
  4. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

The fact the Kinks analogue reissues are relatively cheap for you doesn't, in itself, mean analogue is cheaper to arrange. For one thing, I imagine The Kinks and Pink Floyd don't have the same monetary amibtions.

It should also be noted that The Beatles mono reissues were by no means cheap in Europe (they were, in fact, about the same price as MOFI and AF releases), and that the European Kinks reissues were digital affairs.

davesmoked likes this.
  5. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

The Meddle tapes are in horrible condition, or so I've read.

YevX and Vinyl Addict like this.
  6. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

It is official....they are releasing them all!

On 3 June 2016, Pink Floyd Records will begin the reintroduction of the complete Pink Floyd catalogue on vinyl, making it available for the first time in over two decades, with the release of the first four albums: ‘The Piper at the Gates of Dawn’, ‘A Saucerful of Secrets’, the soundtrack from the film ‘More’ and the 2 LP set ‘Ummagumma’. Special care has been taken to replicate the original packaging, and the first batch of releases, mastered by James Guthrie, Joel Plante and Bernie Grundman, will be pressed on 180gram vinyl for optimum sound quality.

Pink Floyd Records will release further titles from the vinyl catalogue throughout the year, with release dates being announced at regular intervals. In the meantime, all Pink Floyd albums are now available on CD, digital and most streaming platforms.

7. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Good news.

Hattipper likes this.
  8. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

I wonder if they've listened to criticism of going down the digital route and have gone like the Beatles mono for AAA releases, it's wishful thinking on my part.

I'm thinking these will be digital which in this case there is nothing for me here, I would definitely be on board if they did but I'm thinking they are just cashing in on the vinyl resurgence in the most easiest way.

That is not to say a proper job will be done on these but I have all the back cat on AAA vinyl already so digital versions are just not for me. Good news for those looking for inexpensive (hopefully) crystal clear pressings though.

Gordon Johnson and c-eling like this.
  9. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Let's have them :)

Tommyboy and Sean like this.
  10. Telemark

Telemark Forum Resident

"The first set of releases were mastered by James Guthrie and Joel Plante, who have collaborated with Pink Floyd and their members for several years, and Bernie Grundman, who has mastered several notable albums including Thriller, Purple Rain and The Chronic."

Not much hope of a mono Piper, but the personnel promise a decent result.

goodiesguy, Tommyboy and Vinyl Addict like this.
  11. marigoldilemma

Please give us mono Piper and SoS. This announcement also lends credence to the Early Years box set. I wonder if a complete box set will be made available, or if they will be standalone releases only? We need someone in the know to fill in some details here (e.g., AAA). June 3 is not far away, so these first four are probably already pressed and ready to go.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    Leviethan likes this.
  12. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Kind of what I'm thinking, if these are the Discovery 2011's laid to wax I'll be passing as well...

goodiesguy and Billy Infinity like this.
  13. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

Count me in :) I almost lost my faith

14. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

Images have started to appear on the Amazon UK listings: Here's Ummagumma:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

goodiesguy, Hattipper, Sean and 2 others like this.
  15. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

Quake1028 likes this.
  16. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Amazon US and Amazon UK pre-order links: and prices

Amazon US
    The Piper at the Gates of Dawn ($27.98): Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn - Amazon.com Music »
    A Saucerful of Secrets ($27.98): http://www.amazon.com/Saucerful-Secrets-Pink-Floyd/dp/B01EW1UMOG
    More ($27.98): Pink Floyd - More - Amazon.com Music »
    Ummagumma ($39.98): http://www.amazon.com/Ummagumma-Pink-Floyd/dp/B01EW1UMM8

Amazon UK
    The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (£16.99): The Piper At The Gates of Dawn [VINYL]: Amazon.co.uk: Music »
    A Saucerful of Secrets (£16.99): A Saucerful of Secrets [VINYL]: Amazon.co.uk: Music »
    More (£20.99): More [VINYL]: Amazon.co.uk: Music »
    Ummagumma (£23.99): Ummagumma [VINYL]: Amazon.co.uk: Music »

Joe Spivey and Shak Cohen like this.
  17. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Wait. Do I see a "remastered from original analogue tapes" blurb?:bdance:

18. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

We'll probably have to wait for Fremer to ask Grundman directly about the sources used for cutting these... but let's be realistic, there's like 99.9999% possibility they are cut from digital source.

YevX and Tommyboy like this.
  19. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

Neato!

20. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Somebody contact Mr. Fremer, please!

YevX and SergioRZ like this.
  21. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

That's a common blurb. It usually means "remastered from a digital transfer of the original analogue tapes".

I used to think that "cut from the analogue masters" meant AAA, but the recent Captain Beefheart box debunked that one, too.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  22. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

That's good news but we know that sticker can mean quite a few things, one being all analog. Fingers crossed....

Gordon Johnson and PH416156 like this.
  23. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

That's just wrong when they do that but it's not like anyone holds them responsible. Many albums just say "Remastered from OMT" and are indeed all analog and then others say the same thing and are just sourced from OMT and cut from the digital masters. Most of the one's that say "Cut from..." I do believe are telling the truth.

And then we have artists and labels that don't even mention the world analog and the are completely analog.

Time to invoke some optimism, I'm glad to see Bernie Grundman is involved.

24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

let's hope not

indeed

[​IMG]

davesmoked and mikemoon like this.
  25. marigoldilemma

The fact that the labels say "The stereo remastered album.." *may* indicate an eventual release of the mono Piper. It would be a real shame if we didn't get the mono mix.

goodiesguy, telepicker97 and YevX like this.