"Tomorrow Never Knows": did the Beatles invent "beats"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Disraeli Gears, May 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Disco led to what is now EDM. The Bee Gees looped that disco beat and looping drum beats was born (in pop culture). Techno simply took nearly the same beat and sped it up. EDM uses similarly boring beats and loops those and every other instrument. It's been the standard for electronic dance music ever since The Bee Gees did what they did.

2. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you for understanding the gist of my post! Hopefully that will help clear things up around these parts and steer the discussion back to my inquiry :)

Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Other examples? Where is the example of a looped beat in "Tomorrow Never Knows"?

4. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

They--or John Lennon specifically--invented The "Beat" in "Beetles."

5. Gems-A-Bems

Here's some loopy stuff from 1962

Al_D and nosticker like this.
  6. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Ringo plays the same, unwavering beat for the entire track. It's nearly immaterial that it's played live, because 95% of what is on that track is loops.

Dan

Lewisboogie and PH416156 like this.
  7. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

No they did not invent "beats", however I think I know what may have confused you and led you to this conclusion.

They did found a company:

[​IMG]

That company is often confused with this one:

[​IMG]

That company bought this one:

[​IMG]

:)

8. Gems-A-Bems

Yet that same criterion is invalid for "other" examples?

9. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Kraftwerk was doing this long before the Bee Gees -- and much better.

D.H. likes this.
  10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I actually own this CD...and Part 2.
    [​IMG]

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  11. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

No, we totally get the use of the term in hip-hop, we're just mocking the idea that the Beatles had any hand in "inventing" it.

If you want to give some white dude from the '60s credit for "inventing beats," give it to Tommy Roe: the drum break in "Sweet Pea" is an early ancestor of key moments like the amen break and "Funky Drummer."

Aftermath and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I always felt the Chemical Brothers were just doing a 60's style Beatles song like TNK rather than the other way around. Not being funny, I just looked at it as inspired by TNK and retro-ish but with elements of modern sounds. I'm so used to hearing TNK that I never think of it as ahead, of the, or behind the times. It just is. I mean that in a good way. :)

lamf1983 and Rob9874 like this.
  13. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

I still wonder how Ringo came up with that famous beat.

14. Danby Delight

But the drums in "Tomorrow Never Knows" aren't a loop. The loops in TNK are things like that seagull-like sound. So what does this drumbeat have to do with loops?

Gems-A-Bems and zphage like this.
  15. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Maybe the thread title was the problem. In your description, you were just asking, not claiming, the Beatles connection to hip-hop beats. All the condescending & sarcastic replies must be all this pent of resentment of blind Beatle worship many members endured

16. Gotta admit I always thought the drums were looped on there too. Never listened to them so closely as to detect any obvious wavering or inconsistencies.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  17. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

So according to this forum, four white British guys invented hip-hop, and three white Australian guys invented EDM.

And yet folks still claim the SHF is dominated by aging white guys. :rolleyes:

18. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Which has squat to do with whether the OP has a point, or not.

19. lamf1983

lamf1983 Forum Resident

I think "Tomorrow Never Knows" did predict that specific drum rhythm that became very prominent in Chemical-Brothers and other 90s trip-hop (I'm not a drummer and don't have the vocabulary to describe it). I've always thought of that song as 30 years ahead of its time, which is pretty incredible.

Lewisboogie and Disraeli Gears like this.
  20. Danby Delight

John Kongos, "He's Gonna Step On You Again," 1971, built on a tape loop of an African drummer. Happy?

21. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Of course they did! Is it easier to list things they did NOT invent? ;)

Comet01 likes this.
  22. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

I wasn't talking about the drum beat, just the loops in general.

23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Paul told him what to play.... :hide:

jawaka1000 likes this.
  24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I find these two statements quite funny. I don;t think people understand hip-hop...I didn't know that about hip-hop. :)

Anyway, to answer your questions...to me when I hear hip-hop, new or old, I do not think of the Beatles or more specifically this track. Nothing about TNK is hip-hop to me really. I haven't heard every hip-hop song in existence so maybe someone sampled the beat as is and rapped over it. But it doesn't mean much beyond that. Actually I'd expect someone to sample it and then chop it up to create a new beat but retain the sound of the original record, which happens often.

I'm struggling to work out how everything we know about beats culture is there in Ringo's drum beat. Perhaps you could post more examples, specific hop-hop ones if you could because I can't think of any. The association with house music is also rather loose and I wouldn't call that Chemical Brothers house music anyway. So if you have other house music specific examples that might help. Not being an a*se here, I'm struggling to see where you are coming from.

If there's any type of drumming that led to our current fascination of "beats" it would more likely be some of harder soul and funk drum patterns out there rather than what was played in TNK, IMO.

Bemagnus and Aftermath like this.
  25. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Continuing the story...whose logo was given away in a lawsuit settlement to the company with the second logo, only to be leased back to be used by the company with the first logo. :)

gregorya likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.