Ortofon 2M red

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Prof Yuri, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member Thread Starter

I have recently upgraded to this cartridge and cannot praise it enough.
    Tremendous detail, broad and deep sound stage and a very 'even' performer through all the frequencies.
    If you like Symphonic Prog, this might just be one to consider.
    I ave no connection to Ortofon what so ever, just wanted to share my good fortune.

2. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Beware Australians when praising the Red! :) You're in for a shock when you replace the stylus with the blue when it wears.

paulewalnutz and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I will be getting a blue when the time comes. Once I get more funds saved up and the Red has been enjoyed awhile. I don't see the point of not enjoying the Red since I bought it. Then the blue will a treat. I do have a birthday coming up in mid February. :waiting: So maybe I won't be waiting much longer.

Trapper J likes this.
  4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

The red is a gateway drug

5. russk

russk Forum Resident

Love Ortofon. I've got the Blue on my RP6 and after years of AT cartridges it was quite an eye opener

Mlle. Aurora likes this.
  6. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Just wait until you get the Bronze..

Daniel Thomas, jea48 and Colin M like this.
  7. russk

russk Forum Resident

I'm a little hesitant about upgrading to the Bronze because I've heard the surface noise dramatically increases. Any opinions on that?

8. Have had the Red, Blue and now Bronze. Running on a Technics 1800MKII and honestly cannot say any increase in surface noises among the three. That said, most of my records are mint or excellent condition and do not buy from thrift stores, so they don't have lots of surface noise to begin with

dobyblue, ogbbv and Ortofun like this.
  9. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

Not the Bronze, but some folk report increased surface noise with the Black.

My feeling is that this may be due to setup as some have reported that they hear no increase in noise. Maybe it is system dependent in some way...

I have a Bronze and surface noise is a non issue.

10. russk

russk Forum Resident

Thanks guys. That's good to know I've been debating between upgrading to either a Bronze or the Rega Exact. Wish I could audition both at home

11. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member Thread Starter

Why am I in for a shock?

12. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Had the Blue before my Bronze. Cannot say I noticed any difference in surface noise. As someone else said this seems to be related the Black. Extremely happy with my Bronze and the details it picks up from the record :)

13. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

The Red is a terrific cartridge . I bought one after accidentally broke a Denon DL304 & it was too expensive to replace (nearly doubled in price) but the Blue is like the Red but more refined & better with inner groove distortion. I'm very happy with the cartridge to the point I am not thinking about beyond it .

14. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

How does the Ortofon 2M red stack up against the Grado Prestige Gold? The replacement stylus for the Grado Prestige Gold costs about the same as this Ortofon cartridge and TAS has high praises for it ...

15. ogbbv

ogbbv Well-Known Member

Its a great cartridge! I have the red, blue and bronze. I could very much have lived with 2M red forever but was eager to checkout what extra those other stylus profiles provided to the sound quality.

The other colours do provide some other qualities as others have said but if I was you I would just use the red till its due for replacement and then let your budget decide what colour to get then! So opposite of my expensive stylus/cartridge bonanza. But its Nice to have som backups :)

I now have a quintet red and IMHO that is the best cartridge for me so far.

russk: I think I noticed some amount of more surface noise with the bronze. It could also be that I also have read it on the internet and was expecting it and listening for it more.

16. The Transformer

The Transformer Active Member

Any issues with tracking or sibilance distortion on this cartridge?

17. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I've noticed no tracking or distortion issues with a bronze. However, after fine tuning my alignment , it has improved surface noise so is say it pays to really nail your alignment.

18. stefanb

stefanb Forum Resident

Yes, absolutely. Tons. It's known for 2 things:

1. Great Sound
    2. IGD and Sibilance

You really need to tame it down through speaker choice, IMO.

19. Thermionic Vinyl

Thermionic Vinyl Analogue Guru

When you move up to the black, IGD is absent from the sound. Sibilance is also clean.

20. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I have no IGD or sibliance with by Bronze. Id say it's setup wrong if you have.

21. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Upgraded from 2m Red to Blue 3 yrs ago
    1 .Completely eliminated sibilance
    2. Almost eliminated IGD

Tried bronze in my previous setup but settled for the blue (styli change only). Prefer blue over bronze. Bronze was too analytical for my liking(my system).

Cheers

22. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I have a 2M Black & bought a Blue stylus as a spare for background listening.

I was very surprised how close it sounds to the full 2M Black & it has become my normal stylus on that table. It seems to track better, picks up lower surface noise and only occasionally displays sibilance (where the Black stylus doesn't). I will replace the Blue stylus when it wears out, I will not with the Black

23. stefanb

stefanb Forum Resident

Apples and Oranges, no? It's a different cartridge / stylus.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  24. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

Which AT cart did you have before? I currently have an AT440mla on my VPI Scout. I can almost say I love it, but it's not my dream cartridge. I had my hopes on upgrading to a Bronze in the next few months, but I am all about getting the best cart I can afford and the best value. I was considering actually now considering getting the 2m Blue over the Bronze, which would be for me about a $200 price difference. For some that's no big deal, but I always have a budget with this hobby. I'm no lawyer or doctor. My main concerns are with tracking and IGD. The At440mla does a great job with this. Is there a huge difference between the Blue and Bronze? I have my alignment done with a Mint protractor, so I try to get things squared in as much as possible.

25. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Seancito - recommending a cartridge for someone elses' system & tastes is always difficult. I also use a mint protractor - this makes a big difference & helps get the best out of any cart. Unless your system is bass light or treble is a bit harsh, then the Blue is a very nice cart but some might consider this a sideways or downward step from the AT440MLA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.