Your audiophile embarassment

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ghostworld, May 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Here's mine: The cartridge graveyard. But I can't bare to toss them.

[​IMG]

2. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

This was a while back but embarrassing nonetheless...My wife was hurrying us to leave the house but my new speaker cables just came in. In the rush of wanting to hear them real fast, I somehow got all turned around and plugged the wrong ends and well...thank the lord for Onkyo's protection mode. :(

timind, Brother_Rael and Vinyl Addict like this.
  3. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

I'm not afraid to admit that I tried one of the green CD pens when they were all the rage 20 years or so ago. (No, I did not hear a difference.)

I once blew a couple of parts in a tube amp I was biasing. I guess I was hotter and more sweaty than I realized (I had just moved the rack and gear into place), and a single drop of sweat fell off the end of my nose onto the circuit board where it promptly caused a short (sweat is fairly conductive due to the electrolyte concentration). Really dumb mistake because I am usually fairly OCD about safety when around circuits which could kill me, and knew better than to hover over a live circuit like I did (lighting was poor, but I should have taken the time to get a flashlight or work light).

4. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Tried a green Magic Marker on one disc, heard no difference, went on with life.

5. Many many years ago Sam Telling wrote a piece in Stereophile about putting “Armor Al” on CD's to make them sound better. It damaged a few of my disc. No, they didn’t sound any better.

6. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Buying Memorex, BASF and Agfa cassettes

7. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

I still listen to 8 tracks :)

8. peteham

peteham Senior Member

My thousand dollar Audeze LCD-2s collect dust.

9. mrbluedream

mrbluedream Well-Known Member

When my stereo and speakers came, my speaker wires were about a week late.
    Went to walmart and got $4 wire of an unknown gauge and maker...

[​IMG]

L.P., Kyhl, bluesky and 3 others like this.
  10. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

11. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Forum Resident

I have you ALL beat. I belong to a group of "audiophile " jazz lovers and we were over one of our members houses grooving away. Out came a Black Lion pressing of a Dexter Gordon recording. We spun it and all of our heads were bopping, feet tapping and commenting on how soulful and meaningful the music was. Come to find out we were listening at 33.3 rpm rather than the 45rpm it was supposed to be played back. Jeez, we all felt foolish.

12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I've found that my speakers sound best in my room in a completely non-sensical asymetric arrangement. The left at normal ear level on a stand, and the right set back on a high shelf closer to the back wall. Utterly unapproved!

I only discovered this after moving the speakers for some cleaning or maintenance and realizing that I preferred the sound with this screwy arrangement to a far more "correct" orientation. I suppose in some way I did a Bose or Allison thing with a normal pair of speakers.

13. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Aw man, at least do something with the M91ED and the Grado!

14. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

Just about everything that I did with my music obsession before I joined this forum.

15. russk

russk Forum Resident

Caught by a girlfriend while I was............

Vacuuming records

16. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Buying high and selling low.

17. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

No comment...

Gaslight likes this.
  18. harby

harby Forum Resident

This thread is probably meant to solicit offers on the carts.. I've got a M91ED I just ordered a Jico stylus for...

Bose 301? I have 2.2s sitting around, with two reasonably standard drivers angled in 45 degrees while sounding like mud. The 301s like yours are a masterpiece in gimmickry:
    [​IMG]

19. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I think this photo is brilliant! I am always trying to remember what cartridges/speakers I have had over the years?

JG

20. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I bought a "boutique" power cord as thick as a garden hose for my amp for $150, thinking it would improve the sound. Sold it on ebay, and went back to the generic 14AWG SJT cord I was using before when I realized it was snake oil.

keiron99, ds58, SuntoryTime and 17 others like this.
  21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

[​IMG]

Here we have van den hul's The Name interconnect. Actually this isn't about the companybut, or any other cable form, more to do with a magazine review that said how much this £60 cable would transform system dynamics. Bought one. More fool me.

Never since bought into the cable "thing", or trusted the magazines as much as I did before.

It did however teach me to be sceptical. No bad thing.

22. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

OK. I'll fess up. About 4 years ago (and I'm being generous), I decided to organize my records. First, I pulled every 'Rock' LP; alphabetized them by artist, graded and put aside all duplicates and discards. The sheer number of duplicates I discovered could easily qualify as an embarrassment (I remember at least 10 copies of the MFSL Pink Floyd's 'DSOTM'...WTF?!) but I consider it more of a neurosis or mental defect and the fault pales by comparison. It took me weeks to go through everything and to be fair, I've since found a thousand or so more 'Rock' LP's scattered about (they were hidden behind guitar cases - yet another embarrassment but that's housekeeping).

Once I finished with 'Rock', I started pulling the 'Jazz' records and put them on the floor in the listening room. I had just begun sorting through them when another task took priority... then another and another. Travel, family, job, etc. - the excuses kept coming and the records just sat there...er, sit there. 120'+ sq. feet of floorspace is basically useless now and serves as an embarrassing reminder of my lack of foresight and just plain laziness. The LP's are in boxes and properly stored but I have a recurring fear that my basement will be flooded (which it hasn't...knock on wood) and every one of those records will be damaged with only myself to blame. Worse, I've since brought in a couple of thousand more records and as I haven't yet organized anything, I just add them to the 'pile', taking up more square footage and adding to the disappointment in myself. At this point, its such a big job that I can't seem to put aside the time or work up the effort to address this and put it behind me... major fail!!... :doh:

23. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I bent the banana plugs on my speaker cables to fit between the connectors in the back of the speaker, when all along I could have just pushed them into the hole. So I had to bend them back into shape.

24. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I always mow the grass with in-ear headphones playing loud to drown out the noise & pass the time.

A while ago I was enjoying some funky rock when I noticed a neighbor looking across at me strangely. The electric mower cable had unplugged several minutes before & he watched me pushing a lifeless machine up & down as if I was walking a baby. The music was so good, I hadn't noticed :oops:

25. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Winner!

Ghostworld likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.