Michael Hutchence. Largely forgotten?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sondek, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

Zack and Sondek like this.
  2. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Funny enough, my younger sister was more of a Andrew Farriss fan than Hutchence.

3. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

Being an Aussie, I have to agree that though the band was HUGE in Oz, there's little to no living memory of the band or Michael that's spoken of today. Others have mentioned that it may be just a sad fact of many artists of the 1980's, but I tend to think that the band had only just started to make a positive impression world-wide, when tragedy struck. And this tragedy may have undermined a more lasting impression.

Their music is good.

Maybe in another 10-years or so, when many of the 1980's youths dust-off their old records & CD's, there may be a return of great interest in the band & Michael.

Many folks rave about Queens performance at Wembley Stadium in the mid-1980's, & rightly so too, but INXS had the place rocking even harder if anyone cares to check-out the live DVD...

A great band was INXS, perhaps the future will be kinder in remembering them in a few more years.

Cheers,

Gregster

Say It Right, FLF, dee and 2 others like this.
  4. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

It is interesting to mention that there will be a documentary about INXS in Rock Legends on AXS this week. Not that I am a fan yet, but I saw the ad about this week's rock legends, and then saw this thread.

5. Zack

Zack Senior Member

dee and Stones Blah like this.
  6. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I can't say I was an INXS fan at the time of their stardom. I did find great interest in the docudrama "Never Tear Us Apart" on Showtime though. He lost his sense of smell in a punch in the face incident and it seemed to really have an effect on his life. He supposedly was a wine connoisseur and it bothered him tremendously. Also, as been mentioned, it seemed they were making a comeback before his untimely death. The issues with his daughter Tiger Lily is quite heartbreaking.

The only INXS I had was Live Baby Live and Kick. I enjoyed both of these. After the special, I bought Shabooh, Theives and The Swing. I wasn't floored by them but didn't hate them either. To me, it's just another voice silenced way to soon.

Gregster and enro99 like this.
  7. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

Ha! I need you tonight/'Cause I'm not sleeping:bdance:

8. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I always liked this version of the Max Q thing:

Mylene, Miriam and Sondek like this.
  9. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Like everyone else then, I bought the Kick CD back in the day.

It's easy to knock INXS, particularly when Hutchence became UK red-top media fodder over his relationship with Bob Geldof's wife, but they worked relentlessly hard for their success, gigging continuously for many years on an almost nightly basis before they finally made it. In this TV/media driven age when so much is about 15 (or 5) minutes of success, or what is called fame, it's easy to forget they worked damn hard for it, and eventually sold out 70 or 80,000 people stadia like Wembley. Unsurprisingly, they were pretty good live.

905 and Sondek like this.
  10. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

FLF, Planbee and Groggy like this.
  11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Listen Like Thieves is an album without a bad song on it--fantastic and The Swing was not far behind. I bought the next three, but the songwriting was failing, IMO.......even though they obviously hit big worldwide. I thought his solo album was absolutely abysmal, someone gave me the cd cause he didn't like it and I sold it the next week. My wife heard it as I played it and she said 'that record sounds like someone who has mental problems.' she had no idea..............

Gregster likes this.
  12. 007james

007james Forum Resident

They had quite a few hits but never a great album as whole, The Swing came close and they are a bit dated.....

13. AudioRoss

AudioRoss Well-Known Member

I own the Kick album and definitely enjoy rocking it from A to B every once in a while!

Purple likes this.
  14. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

One of my favourite of their songs, given the Beck treatment.

QQQ and eddiel like this.
  15. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I agree. They were a favorite of mine in the 80's, especially The Swing and Listen Like Thieves. I spun The Swing recently and it didn't hold up for me. Sounded kind of dated, and had that horrible thin 80's production...

16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

There's a 10 LP box set.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...yl+box+set&dpPl=1&dpID=41M7Ld1QzkL&ref=plSrch

He's remembered. They're remembered.

Mylene, FLF and enro99 like this.
  17. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Their music is very dated to the 80s, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The fact that Hutchence's death was almost just a byline and quickly forgotten shows how quickly the world had moved on.

18. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

I saw INXS on the KICK tour at the Apollo in Manchester.
    I have never seen such a predominently female audience at a show I've been at lose it so completely.

I think once he became so publicly 'unavailable' the INXS fanbase dropped off a bit. Also their recordings were maybe a little less accessible or less catchy pop tunes. I can happily watch the 'I'm only looking' DVD set and I must admit that if there is one thing on there that REALLY badly upsets me, it's the montage of 'Don't change' made up from a number of live clips. A truly God-like man (and I say that in a straight way!) starting young, getting a bit older and now so sadly gone.

I would dearly love a DVD of the Sydney show on the 'Listen like thieves' tour that was shown on TV. A true highpoint.

I do feel sorry for the band. How do you replace someone like that? You simply can't.

coffeetime, Gregster and D.B. like this.
  19. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

Look at who we have lost in recent years. The world does move on.

DorothyV likes this.
  20. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident Thread Starter

After this thread, I decided to listen to a few of their albums. I understand dated, but I wouldn't say The Swing sounds thin at all... and I'm playing it again now to listen again.... There doesn't sound much wrong with the sound of it to me - quite nice in fact. Decent amount of bass there too.

Jarleboy and D.B. like this.
  21. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I saw them on the Kick tour at Madison Square Garden and really enjoyed the show. I think Ziggy Marley opened for them if I'm remembering correctly

22. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Vinyl or cd? I've got the original thin 80's vinyl.

23. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ah, that might be it. I'm streaming it from Tidal - and that'd be the latest mastering. I do own it on CD (an old copy), I might try a comparison later. The remasters sound quite nice.

24. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

INXS was strong as a singles artist, but their albums always seemed very filler laden. Could never get much into them. Those singles, though... WOW! If only all of their songs had that quality.

John Adam, enro99 and TexasBuck like this.
  25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

you are correct, sir.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.