What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Mike .S.

Mike .S. Well-Known Member

Billy Duffy (The Cult) was in a band early on called the Nosebleeds. The singer is that band was Morissey. Billy decided to introduce his best mate Johnny Marr to Morissey....and that turned out well no?

2. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

Paul McCartney collaborated with Brian Wilson on a Beach boys song by eating celery

3. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member

Considering how knowledgeable the members of this forum are, it's kind of hard to come up with stuff people don't know already.

Just the same, here's this:

Alice Cooper recorded a title song for the James Bond movie The Man With The Golden Gun.
    Johnny Cash recorded a title song for the James Bond movie Thunderball.

Both songs have been released, so neither is obscure trivia.

4. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Wild Thing and Angel In The Morning were written by Angelina Jolie's uncle Chip Taylor. Who is also the brother to Jon Voight.

5. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

The guy from the bonk on the head! bonk-bonk! No blah blah blah! episode of Star Trek came up with the title for Traffic's The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys.

6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Miles Davis was a Stooges fan and saw them live in NYC. He also liked The Byrds and helped them get the recording contract with Columbia.

7. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Yes they can, they can all be wrong and are IMHO but that's just me.

8. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

This isn't absurd, but one that always makes me say "Hokey smokes!". Songwriter Mike Stoller is a survivor of the Andrea Doria ship sinking.

9. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

To clarify, the episode title is "Miri" and the actor is Michael J. Pollard.

10. InfoNozzle

InfoNozzle Forum Resident

I've always wondered about that.

Since we're debunking, Keith Moon and Mama Cass died in the same hotel, not a flat. But check this out. The last movie Moon saw? It wasn't that crappy Buddy Holly movie. Back at the hotel he watched...(wait for it)...The Abominable Dr. Phibes.

Also debunking: McCartney was at the Beach Boy's Vege-Tables session but didn't participate.

Speaking of movies again, you know the part of Antonioni's 1966 film Blow Up that has The Yardbirds? That was supposed to be Tomorrow. Steve Howe was instructed to smash his guitar but he refused, so they made a cheezy replica for him to destroy. Then Antonio had the chance to use the Yardbirds and dropped Tomorrow like a used condom. So now in the movie you can see Jeff Beck destroy a fake replica of Steve Howe's guitar (in color) that looks totally different and seems to appear out of nowhere.

But wait, there's more...

Jerry Garcia's band was called The Warlocks, but he saw a 45 by a band called The Warlocks in a music store and knew he had to find a new name because his band had recorded nothing. The name had been taken, so they chose The Grateful Dead while The Warlocks went the way of the hanging macrame endtable. But The Warlocks' leader, Billy Gibbons, eventually went on to bigger things.

Gawd, this pointless crap never ends. Here's one.

Rickenbacker basses had never been sold in London in 1965, but the manager of Boosey & Hawkes music store was convinced to import them by a 17-year-old employee named Chris Squire. The young employee eventually bought one of his own on hire purchase after watching Pete Quaife, John Entwhistle and someone else buy one (I can't remember who.) Squire's was the fourth and McCartney's was the fifth. That's how Squire tells it, anyway. When Squire died, Rolling Stone Ragazine wrote in his obituary that Boosey & Hawkes was the name of Squire's first band. Morons.

11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Stephen Stills auditioned for The Monkees and was turned down.

12. Moth

Moth fluttering by

The Velvet Underground also started out with that name.

13. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

John Fogerty was sued for plagiarizing himself.

14. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The most common song title to make the charts is "Hold On." In all, 16 completely different songs with that title have hit the Billboard Hot 100. Seven of them made the top 40, one of them peaked at #2 (En Vogue), and one of them hit #1 (Wilson Phillips). Oddly, the two biggest hits called "Hold On" were on the charts at basically the same time in 1990.

15. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

Sonny Bono co-wrote the Larry Williams hit, "She Said Yeah" covered later by the Rolling Stones. On the Stones first trip to America, they stayed at Sonny & Cher's house because they had little to no money.

16. DamageCase77

DamageCase77 Well-Known Member

I read an interview with Lemmy once where he said he passed out before a show because he had had to much booze and too much sex and was exhausted.....

Can you imagine that happening to you??

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2016
  17. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Art Garfunkel was a good basketball player, and apparently held a free throw record at one point.

18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Jimi once saw Hendel's ghost in there! (source - Kathy Etchingham's book).

19. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

Can you clarify a bit more? Michael J. Pollard was in "Bonnie & Clyde." How did he provide Steve Winwood with the song title?

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i respectfully disagree.

stills dental issues are well documented.

as for songwriting and publishing, that was a done deal from the get go, there was no way any cast member had to have writing ability, the cast had zero input on the songs. it wasn't a band that was being formed, it was a cast for a TV show....the idea the monkees would be an actual band, play their own instruments, and/or write their own material came later.

21. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Ron Asheton remembered being a bit overwhelmed meeting Miles in the bathroom at Unganos between Stooges sets. Miles was hoovering up industrial quantities of Columbia's finest fairy dust and told Ron that he loved the Stooges' originality and how he admired their spirit.

Sticking with the Stooges I LOVE the story about when Iggy and the Stooges played at Poor Richards in Atlanta in October 1973.

Halfway through the set someone in a manky gorilla suit climbed onto the stage and chased Iggy around. Iggy, out of his mind on goodness knows what, actually thought that this was a real gorilla and freaked out until the head was removed to reveal the smiling face of Elton John.

Elton was singing the praises of Iggy quite often during 1973, but quite why he decided to crash the stage as a gorilla (and, for that matter, where on earth had he got a gorilla suit from, anyway?) remains a complete mystery...

22. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

I'm a massive David Bowie fan, and a few years ago got hold of Kevin Cann's excellent book Any Day Now which is almost a day by day account of Bowie's life up to 1974.

I was intrigued to read that Bowie was actually recording on the same day, at the very same time that I was being born. maybe this was why I was such a fan?
    What a great bit of trivia this would be, a nugget to amaze my friends - "Hey, did you know that Bowie was actually laying down this actual song as I was taking my first breath? Incredible huh?"
    Maybe the stone cold classic recording that Bowie was making right at the actual moment of my birth, somehow cosmically linked us?

Well, maybe not.

Oh, you want to know what the song was? Really? You want to know?

"The Laughing Gnome"

Of all the amazing Bowie songs that he could have been recording at 9pm on 7th February 1967, it's the Laughing bloody Gnome...

23. Voxbox

Voxbox Well-Known Member

I love the part in Lewishon's book when he is describing the day lennon met mccartney and him saying that someone actually recorded lennon singing with his band that day.

I expected the usual "sadly lost",etc .. But no, by a miracle, that tape does exist and can be heard on you tube.

The odds of someone keeping such a recoding on a reel to reel when the beatles wouldnt even be able to make a decent sound for four years, never mind start to be famous, isamazing.

Lennons voice is exactly like it ever was ... amazingly totally unaffected and he is as much himself there singing as he would be in 1980.

24. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Yes that is why he passed, as he found out what the situation was going to be he realized it was not for him, he recommended Peter himself.

ooan likes this.
  25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

In the '80's, Colin Moulding (XTC) was offered the job of replacing Roger Waters in Pink Floyd!
    He seriously thought about it, but decided against it.
    I often imagine what an amazing "'80's Pink Floyd" would've been like if they had, not only this great bass player, but, AMAZING song-writer!!