What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

According to their high school yearbooks, Jessica Simpson was a member of the National Honor Society and Marilyn Manson was a member of Campus Crusade for Christ.

2. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

The timing on the Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" was listed as 3:05 so the radio would play it. It was actually 3:50, dangerously close to the dreaded 4 minutes.

3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I honestly can't imagine that Moulding would have been given the degree of creative freedom that he had with XTC. Would he have been able to contribute songs to Pink Floyd or would have just been a glorified sideman? As much as I like some of Colin's stuff, I'm not sure that it would have fit on a late era Pink Floyd album anyway.

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

stills temperament would have never allowed him to last is such an atmosphere.

again, thank god for his bad teeth :)

5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Or 'Spitti Polliti' as he apparently pronounced it! :)

6. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Garth Brooks has sold more albums than Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, U2, Queen or AC/DC.

7. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

Simon and Garfunkel first recorded under the name "Tom and Jerry."

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Both those stories are mind-boggling :). Miles was a culture vulture, and Elton is one too; both having a broad taste in music devoid of snobbism or preconceived notions about genres.

9. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

The red ink in Kiss comic books was made from the blood of the band members. (The urban legend that turned out to be at least partially true.)

10. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Somewhere, deep in this interview, Micky Dolenz talks about being asked by FRANK ZAPPA to join HIS BAND!! Something I did NOT know!

11. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

The band Tower Of Power and the drama over the murder trial of lead singer Rick Stevens.

After quitting TOP in 1973, Stevens' drug issues spiralled out of control, and a couple drug dealers whom he owed money were threatening the lives of his wife/family, and when he went to confront/talk to them to try and straighten things out, things got ugly, shots were exchanged (He brought a gun with him, no doubt fearing what might happen if he HADN'T brought one), and when it was over, the two dealers were dead. It was no small incident for sure, and it changed Stevens' life forever.

He was sentenced to something like 40 years at a California state prison, served his time, having apparently been a model prisoner, counseling other inmates and what not, and when he was finally released a few years ago, Tower Of Power had him up onstage, sitting in at various shows in the Oakland area and other parts of California. I've seen videos from at least two shows that people uploaded on YouTube. I have always felt that Rick Stevens was the best frontman the band ever had (He sings lead vocals on all of "Bump City"), and it was really cool seeing him get the opportunity to share the stage with his old bandmates again like old times, (especially with the same bass player and drummer), and you could tell that he was feeling very-fortunate at those performances, getting the kind of welcome he did from the band as well as the fans.

The videos are probably still up there. Worth checking out. I know one of them was "You're Still A Young Man", which was like his signature song back in the day. Big crowd pleaser. He still has the voice too. But at the same time, I imagine a few people look at the whole situation a lot differently than I do.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  12. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

One of my favorites: After Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis split up in 1956, movie producer Hal Wallis considered teaming Lewis with a young singer he had recently signed -- Elvis Presley.

Yes folks, that would have been Elvis & Jerry Lewis (no "Lee").

Regarding this possible teaming, Elvis allegedly commented that he could never fill Dino's shoes.

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  13. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

MikaelaArsenault and ibekeen like this.
  14. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

He was also at one time a member of the Champs ("Tequila!") as were Seals and Crofts.

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Whoa :eek:...

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  16. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

They played a show as Tom and Jerry in 1969, as a warm up act for Zappa and the Mothers.
    Zappa recounts the tale in his Real Frank Zappa book. As I recall, he bumped into Paul and Art and had dinner with them. They all reminisced about the old rock and roll days and Paul and Art kind of wished that they could play a simple rock and roll gig again. So Frank arranged for them play a support set as Tom and Jerry, where they happily performed Everly Brothers songs, that sort of thing. No Simon and Garfunkel. And no-one really twigged that it was the world famous Simon and Garfunkel up on stage. Then at the end of Zappa's set they came back out and played "Sounds Of Silence" - then people got it! After the gig Zappa was accused by some of the audience of humiliating Simon and Garfunkel by making them play old 50s rock and roll!

Earscape, tedhead, izgoblin and 5 others like this.
  17. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Something about Paul's dog Martha at the Playboy Mansion. Maybe I'm mixing things up.:doh:

tteal likes this.
  18. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Frank Zappa played the bicycle on the Steve Allen Show in 1963.

19. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Delbert McClinton taught John Lennon how to play the blues harmonica.

brentolie, Lownotes, 51IS and 2 others like this.
  20. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Miles Davis got angry with Jimi Hendrix once he figured out Jimi couldn't read music and continuously scrapped them working together, afterwards.

21. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

That's funny coming from an artist who was branching out into more-improvisational, experimental music at the time (said the guy who can't sight-read :D ).

DavidD and Suncola like this.
  22. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

My favorite rock 'n roll trivia bit doesn't sound like much: Elvis and David Bowie were both born on January 8th.

What makes it my favorite is my father was also born on that day, and he doesn't even like rock music.

DavidD, andrewskyDE and Ko-Ko Joe like this.
  23. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Keith Richards' full bloood replacement

The mars bar

24. Jazz legend Dexter Gordon is Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich's godfather.

[​IMG]

25. Who was the fourth one, after Leadbelly, Manson, and Phil Spector?