What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member

2. Steve B

Steve B Forum Resident

Would it be Bobby Beausoleil who was part of the Manson clan and had recorded some music for Kenneth Anger's film "Lucifer Rising" ?

3. Voxbox

Voxbox Well-Known Member

Elton John's middle name is Hercules

4. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Ira Louvin of the Louvin Brothers was an alcoholic. Reportedly very nice sober, but a mean drunk. It broke up the brothers, and Ira was also shot in the chest by his 3rd wife after he apparently beat her.

Now for the absurd trivia.

Ira Louvin was killed in a head-on collision by a drunk driver in Williamsburg, MO, on his way to a show. He was sober, but there was a warrant out for his arrest for DUI.

Gives new perspective to this classic album cover, doesn't it?

[​IMG]

5. Steve B

Steve B Forum Resident

So did Elton John...

Edit : I see that Brett already posted this. My bad.

6. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

John Phillips drunkenly composed"Me and My Uncle" at a party in Arizona, forgot the whole incident, and became aware of the song's existence only when he started receiving royalty checks after Judy Collins, who attended the party and witnessed its creation, put it on an album.

7. CxgVxc

CxgVxc Active Member

Pretty sure this was answered up thread. Jim Gordon.

8. Steve B

Steve B Forum Resident

The Velvet Underground hated the Mothers of Invention ( and vice versa ), yet John Cale married Miss Cynthia of the GTO's which happened to be a group that Zappa produced and employed.

9. Steve B

Steve B Forum Resident

Thanks...yes, of course...for that matter, I recall that he was recently up for parole and was turned down...

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  10. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. I somehow missed that information, as well. I suspected it was Gordon.

11. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

12. Steve B

Steve B Forum Resident

13. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Elton John did not audition for King Crimson - he was booked by EG's Mark Fenwick to sing on In The Wake of Poseidon but Fripp cancelled before EJ had even entered the studio. He did get paid for it though (although Fripp didn't find this out until years later).

14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

And it then went on to become the song the Grateful Dead performed live more than any other (not counting Drums or Space). That's a song that willed itself into being, if there ever was one.

15. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Sounds like an unused Steely Dan lyric.

Dan

16. Ringo Starr left Rishikesh and went back to England after he ran out of baked beans, thereby missing out on his chance to sing happy birthday to Mike Love. He didn't like Indian food.

17. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

James Seals (Seals & Crofts) & Dan Seals (RIP, of England Dan & John Ford Coley) were brothers and both in music duos that had major 70's hits.

phillyal1, Earscape, DavidD and 3 others like this.
  18. roho

roho Forum Resident

Ken Curtis, who played Festus in Gunsmoke, replaced Frank Sinatra as vocalist in the Tommy Dorsey Band.

19. I missed it as well (obviously!) but anyway: I suspected it was 20/20, but the Wikipedia entry doesn't mention Gordon's involvement.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  20. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Badfinger's "I'll Be the One" was not allowed to be released on Straight Up back in the day because George Harrison thought it sounded too much like the Beatles (indeed it does!). I heard Mike Gibbins tell this story on a radio interview several years ago, although I don't think he mentioned Harrison.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  21. DWC

DWC Well-Known Member

Co-founders of Jefferson Airplane, Paul Kantner and Signe Toly Anderson, both died on January 28, 2016.

22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Cale lived to regret that marriage! It was a disaster. His autobiography has the tragic details, such as her serial infidelities (including Kevin Ayers the night before recording the June 1, 1974 album in London).

23. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

FWIW, last year's Rolling Stone cover story indicated that Ringo has to be very careful about what he eats as a result of his childhood illnesses.

24. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

This sounds like the beginning of a complex math problem...

25. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Well, they could have put some kind of hat on Stills, like they did with Nesmith! My first encounter with the term "receding hairline" was my mother's comment on a Nez photo on the back of Headquarters when I got the LP in 1967.