What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jun 6, 2016.

1. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

How about that actor Miguel Ferrer played (of all things) drums on The Two Sides of the Moon?

[​IMG]

2. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

Paul McCartney's "Yesterday" and "Tomorrow" (from the "Wildlife" album) utilize the exact same chord progression.

3. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

The tempo, meter and chord progression of both The Isley Brothers' "This Old Heart Of Mine" and White Plains' "My Baby Loves Lovin'" are pretty much identical, and one could easily use the exact same karaoke track to sing both of them.

4. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

Johansen still has a career as "Buster Pointdexter" on and off. He has had several musical alter egos.

5. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

If Beethoven were going to "Roll Over" and tell Tchaikovsky anything, he'd have to be speaking from the grave. Tchaikovsky was born some 13 years after Beethoven died.

6. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

I give up- what album?

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  7. That Chevy Chase played music with the future members of a Steely Dan Fagan and Becker.

8. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't know if that is really absurd. It's definitely not trivia.

I see where you're going, but it's just juvenile and lewd. It's a low-IQ attempt at being scandalous.

9. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

A few months ago I was at a local club where a cover band was playing Sultans of swing. When the singer sang 'Goodnight, thank you, now it's time to go home' I mentioned to my wife that the singer was familiar with the long lost UK (and Dutch) single version of the song, for the widely know LP version does not have the words 'Thank you' in the lyrics...

Of course my wife knows that I'm an music nut, but this incident took it to a whole new level :)

For those not in the know - Dire Straits released an alternate take of Sultans of swing as a single in the UK and several other countries, while the US got the album version as the 45. If you want to know more, there are several threads about the subject on this forum.

10. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

David Bowie smoking those awful Gitanes cigarettes. I tried them once. They were terrible.

Zerox, ramdom and Former Scientist like this.
  11. jimbags

jimbags Forum Resident

"Howard Jones remains highly popular in the British Virgin Islands where his song, "Like to get to know you well" remained in the top 40 for 12 years."

12. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

...but they are effortlessly cool! (Cough, gasp...)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    Khaki F likes this.
  13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Beach Boys20/20
    Manson
    Spector
    Gordon
    Ledbetter

14. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Another one. John Kay (Steppenwolf) was completely colorblind bordering on legally blind. I thought he wore those shades to be cool. He didn't.

15. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

That version was available on some US promo 45s and on a US promo-only 12-inch single. But most promo 45s and all the stock copies have the LP version.

16. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Dylan's "Lay Lady Lay" was commissioned for the film Midnight Cowboy but he failed to deliver on time. But he did co-write "The Ballad of Easy Rider."

17. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

years after disappearing, a vacant syd barrett shows up at abbey road studios while the floyd is recording not only the album, but the song that is written for/about him...

18. raginghessian

raginghessian Well-Known Member

I found out that at the time my mother was giving birth to me, Grand Funk Railroad were recording the song "We're An American Band"

MikaelaArsenault and Tanx like this.
  19. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

In early Galaxie 500 tracks, the drum kit being played belongs to Conan O'Brien, who was friends with Damon (the drummer). Damon didn't have a kit of his own, and O'Brien had bought one but then given up drumming.

20. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

That was also John Lennon's preferred brand.

21. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

When I was a student, I went to Paris, and took up Gitane and Disc Bleu. Every single French student I met smoked B&H, a British brand....when I asked why, I was told the gold packet was cool, and French cigarettes were, 'ow you say?? 'Orrible!!

22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

John Stamos worked with The Beach Boys.

ibekeen likes this.
  23. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Van Dyke Parks (Smile lyricist)'s brother Clarence Carson Parks II wrote 'Somethin(g) Stupid' for Frank and Nancy Sinatra.

24. leoconsole

leoconsole Forum Resident

The vocals on A Guy Called Gerald's Voodoo Ray are taken from the Derek & Clive (Live) LP. The "voodoo ray" bit is an abbreviation of Peter Cook saying "voodoo rage" and every now again there's also Dudley Moore shouting "later!". Both samples are taken from the Bo Dudley sketch. I love the idea of hundreds of E'd up people dancing to Pete & Dud in the early 90s! :laugh:

Also

Although he may or may not have chewed celery on The Beach Boys vegetables Paul McCartney did once again chew celery in 2001 on Super Furry Animals' track Receptacle For The Respectable. Incidentally, when they played the song live Gruff Rhys would put on a homemade John Lennon mask and chew celery close to the mic. BTW I think I read somewhere that they chose celery because it's what Mel Blanc used to use for Carrot noises on Bugs Bunny cartoons, makes a better crunching noise apparently.

25. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Rod Stewart on a David Bowie record?
    Yup, it's true. The cheering at the segue between "Future Legend" and "Diamond Dogs" was borrowed from the Faces' live album Coast To Coast and you can hear Rod shout "Hey" after Bowie calls out "This ain't rock'n'roll, this is genocide!"

Brian May on a David Bowie record?
    Yup, it's true, (well sort of, and I don't mean "Under Pressure" either...). It's more cheering - borrowed this time (or as we now call it in this digital age, sampled) from the Brian May Band's Live At The Brixton Academy, used on 1.Outside on the track "I Am With Name".

Mary "Those Were The Days" Hopkin on a David Bowie record?
    Absolutely! Married to producer Tony Visconti at the time, she adds those glorious "doo doo dooos" on "Sound And Vision".
    Incidentally, Low must be the only record ever to feature the vocals of both Mary Hopkin and Iggy Pop (who guests on "What In The World").

Mickey Rourke on a David Bowie record?
    Dear God, it's true, though I really wish it wasn't.... Rourke contributes a toe-curlingly embarrassing 'rap' on "Shining Star" on Bowie's 1987 opus Never Let Me Down. Bowie himself shares this 'rap' with Rourke, and he's rubbish at it too. What on Earth were they thinking?