Inside Llewyn Davis

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HiFi Guy 008, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Just goes to show what I know!

Still think the song is nothing but cliché after cliché. I had never heard it before.

2. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

bluemooze likes this.
  3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but I'm 62 and I can't believe that Davis was being presented in the movie in any way as someone who would be liked or popular as a performer. Not sure what the Coen brothers are up to but I don't see the music/soundtrack as any sort of "tribute" to folk music. I look at the movie as their version of "A Mighty Wind."

4. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Never thought of that but you could be on to something, the main character maybe was the suicide and HE'S in some kind of limbo. Kind of like Gravity being a metaphor about Sandra's breakdown from losing her child. May have to watch that film again.

vegafleet likes this.
  5. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I don't think the Coen bros. were doing a "tribute" to folk music, just setting the journey of LD that they wanted to show in that moment and place in time. It might have worked just as well in a rock setting, but we have seen that before.

The Coens are big on "journeys".

6. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I like your idea about Mike's parents since the movie is full of unknown subtexts we can only sense or guess at. That is what makes it so interesting.

I don't think they are Mike's parents because when LD starts screaming about his art and his work, one or both of the Gorfeins would have screamed "F-U, we lost our son!"

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I see them as trying to showcase folk in the same way that that they stirred massive interest in country/bluegrass with "Brother Where Art Thou." Only folk isn't quite as infectious as a good time.

bluemooze likes this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

And there's also the small matter of his partner being "Mike Timlin" and the couple are the "Gorfines."

9. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I did mention that it was entirely likely that "Mike Timlin" was a stage name. It would be pretty common at the time for performers to anglicize names.

10. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Finally am aware of this movie from seeing a side-ad for the 'Farewell' Dylan song on amazon (I or the movie must have been a heavy sleeper, cause I heard nothing about it until today). Looks interesting, of course, to a Dylan fan and those interested in the Greenwich Village folk scene of the early 60s. I haven't seen it yet but probably will, due to the subject matter and the Coen Bros aspect.

So what's the lowdown? Hit or miss? How many stars (out of 5)? It's gotten totally mixed reviews on Amazon.

11. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Great period piece but very S----L----O----W. Totally unlikable main character.
    Someone described it as a great observation of failure, which is pretty on-target.
    If you like early 60s Greenwich Village folk, you'll enjoy it for the you-are-there reality of the film.

vegafleet and notesfrom like this.
  12. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

I thought the following was an excellent comment on the movie

http://www.robbiefulks.com/blog/posts/491-some-thoughts-on-Llewyn-Davis-

Written by a struggling singer/songwriter - who some of us think is VERY talented... but somehow escapes recognition.

Basically a review of the movie as written by a "real life Llewyn Davis"

Except Fulks is more self aware than the Davis character and is keenly aware of the (real life) path being traveled by Davis in the movie.

What Fulks says about the movie "sticking" with him - also holds true in my case.

I can't say the movie had a clear story arc - but I would argue it had a LOT to say.

Dan C, turnersmemo, JL6161 and 2 others like this.
  13. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Robbie's review nails the film perfectly, I think.

14. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

It seems I'm in the middle of the extreme reactions on this one.

I give it an wobbly three out of four stars.

I enjoyed it for the most part, but I can't fathom it the masterpiece some find it to be, although I'm thrilled they liked it so much.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

notesfrom likes this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Peroid detail.
    Does it capture the year/era?

16. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Big yes.

17. alexpop

Yes it did just watched it.
    Interesting period snapshot.

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I watched this for the second time and realized that I like this film quite a bit. The story of a struggling artist during folk era is simply the backdrop to the tragedy of broken dreams. Llewen Davis' story isn't that of a famous artist or an arrogant genius; it's the story of a working stiff with a dream, a little talent, and a hungry ego -- and how his hubris meets its ultimate demise. His is the universal failure, the death of hope. He's a hipster Willie Loman. Unless you've pursued a dream and failed at it, you can't understand the pain. Llewyn Davis is pretty much an arrogant bastard, but he gets hit hard -- real hard -- and, I think, how he's humbled is redeeming of his character. Like all the Cohen Brothers films, it has absurdist elements that take the film out of absolute reality, but this one gets draw so tightly back to reality in the end, that it gut punches you with raw emotion as it asks the audience to understand the pain that has been tormenting Llewyn, making him the ******* that he is, and why he so desperately need to success at his art.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  19. alexpop

The songs with the exception of a couple of standards sounded too modern.

20. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

One boring film. Well-made but on a very boring topic/person. Please Mr. Kennedy though is a hit and it's a joy to watch it being recorded. Especially that Poe Dameron and Kylo Ren are on backing vocals.

George P likes this.
  21. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I just realized that, after all my earlier comments about looking forward to seeing Inside Llewyn Davis, and about how badly promoted it was, I didn't report back after finally seeing the movie.

That is all. ;)

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I like the movie a lot more than you - it's one of the Coens' most interesting efforts, IMO - but I also find it amusing that two "Star Wars" stars are in it! :)

23. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I just watched this film and the next day about the problems of the Jewish guy (forget the title) and I liked the latter MUCH more

24. alexpop

Felt sorry for the cat.

25. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Anyone pick up the Criterion edition yet? I already have the US Sony BluRay and I'm not sure it's gonna be enough of an upgrade to be worth the extra $50.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.