What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jun 6, 2016.

1. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

At the time my mother was birthing me Mike Stoller was arriving at the NY pier after being rescued from the Andrea Doria shipwreck.

2. jimtek

jimtek Forum Resident

Justin Hayward sold his favorite and only guitar because he was broke and had no money the day the Moody Blues hired him.

melstapler likes this.
  3. jimtek

jimtek Forum Resident

Joe Crocker threw up on stage long before it became fasionable in punk rock.

4. I still remember hearing that in 1963 before I had heard anything by the Beatles, or even heard of the Beatles.

5. or with some "liquid" assistance you'll be IN Oz.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  6. G.G. Allin's real name was Jesus Christ Allin. His father was told to name him that in a vision. Yep, that explains a lot.

7. One night at a band rehearsal years ago, our singer/co-lead guitarist exclaimed "Hey, I figured out 'Love Hurts'! I said "Hell, I could have told you that".

8. eroz

eroz Forum Resident

Paul Ramone was briefly his stage name when the Beatles were still the Silver Beetles. George Harrison's stage name was the very imaginative Carl Harrison.

9. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

There is a story that when I think Joey Ramone met Paul McCartney, Paul signed an album cover to him as Paul Ramone.

10. jimtek

jimtek Forum Resident

The Standells big hit "Dirty Water" about the city of Boston is now the official sports song Boston, but none of the members of the Standells had been to Boston before the song was recorded!

11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

That's mostly - very - tragic!

Adam9 likes this.
  12. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The two sides of their canceled single were first legally released on The Conplete Motown Singles Vol. 6: 1966.

13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Lou Reed had never been to Berlin when he wrote Berlin. He used the metaphor of a divided city for a couple in trouble.

14. Voxbox

Voxbox Well-Known Member

Theres actually much more on the tape .. But apparently yoko owns it now. The fragments released were purely to promote it when it was put up for sale in 1994, it went for £78,500. It was only discovered in 1994 by chance.

15. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Ian Hunter has made more money from writing three songs than in any other facet of his career, thanks to songwriting and publishing royalties: "Ships"; "Once Bitten Twice Shy"; and "Cleveland Rocks."

wayneklein and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  16. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

I always like when I see random guest spots on albums that aren't advertised.

Like that Madonna has songwriting credits on a Nik Kershaw album. Or that Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham played on Warren Zevon's second LP.

pablo fanques and bagofsoup like this.
  17. Not only that, but while doing time in Coil he kept up a side career as a director for commercials and music videos. Some are for folks you'd expect him to know (Marc Almond, The The, Nine Inch Nails) but he also did stuff for mainstream acts like Robert Plant, Van Halen, Rage Against the Machine, Hanson, and a certain Paul McCartney - who'd earlier rejected the cover art for the Tug of War album he'd suggested while at Hipgnosis. I suspect it was offered somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but it would've done wonders for Macca's cred if he went with it:

[​IMG]

18. Voxbox

Voxbox Well-Known Member

Cant remember where, but i do remember an article which pretty much said that madonna was famous for insisting on changing one word or similar and demanding a co-writing credit before shed record songs.

19. jimtek

jimtek Forum Resident

Funky Broadway the #1 hit by Wilson Pickett wasn't about Broadway Street in New York but Broadway streets in Buffalo NY and Phoenix Arz!

20. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Sure you don't mean Iggy was high on his school debate team?:)

21. jimtek

jimtek Forum Resident

In the song "South Street" the Orlons sing "where do all the hippies meet, south street, south street", in Philadelphia. It wouldn't be another 3 or 4 years before hippies would start meeting in San Francisco at Haight Ashbury.

phillyal1 likes this.
  22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

In one of GG's early bands, he kept missing rehearsal because his wife wanted him home. He was known within that band as PWK, or P$$$y Whipped Kevin."

wayneklein likes this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Not uncommon.

Miss Beyoncé is also a fan of this practice.

ramdom and davesmoked like this.
  24. Sherman

Sherman Forum Resident

Now that's funny! That should put a cap on anymore Liquid Paper jokes, thank you.

25. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

[​IMG]