Films not yet released in HD/blu-ray that you're pining for...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bleachershane, Aug 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MartinR

MartinR Forum Resident

Husbands And Wives

Kirk76 likes this.
  2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Lovers And Other Strangers 1972, at least it's finally on DVD.

Robo Warriors 1998, not even on DVD yet, I'm stuck with my VHS copy.

Any and all Marx Brothers and WC Fields, restored for blu ray of course.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Brotherhood Of The Wolf.
    Pity about the slow mo/stop frame.

fuzzface likes this.
  4. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Japan is region 2 for DVDs.

Michael likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OK< thanks...very important.

6. I cannot advocate getting a region free blu ray player highly enough. You never have to ask questions like that again and your horizons for exploring foreign cinema (or better masterings of domestic films) are boundless.

bleachershane and Dave Garrett like this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, I agree..it will come.

8. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

The Glenn Miller Story.

9. Once again--

Horror of Dracula
    Curse of Frankenstein.

We are waiting on the other side of the pond for this in America.

10. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I've held off on buying that one for a long time, in anticipation of a Blu upgrade, but my resolve is weakening. If past history is any guide, as soon as I spring for the DVD, they'll announce a Blu.

bleachershane likes this.
  11. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

"Happy Mother's Day, Love George" (1973). I don't think this film has ever been released in a digital format (although there is an old VHS from many years ago). This was Bobby Darin's last film, which also stars Ron Howard and Cloris Leachman. I would like to see this released on Blu, but who knows if the elements and/or existing print are in good shape.

12. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Most definitely! It doesn't matter what format, I always make sure that the machine I buy is either region free or easily fixed. I was region free from day 1 of getting my first DVD player and when I got into blu-ray I found a player that could be made a proper region A player simply by switching out the firmware courtesy of a download on the manufacturer's own website.

Beamish13 likes this.
  13. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

A Place In The Sun (1951)

Featuring uniformly excellent performances from both Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clift (with his pre-car accident, matinee idol looks on full display), this movie's lack of a Blu-ray release is baffling, to say the least - especially when other Taylor and Clift (not necessarily together) films have been released in HD. Why not this one?

Watching Clift portray the conflicted George Eastman during the courtroom scenes near the end of the movie is akin to witnessing a master class on acting. What a talent! I believe the DVD edition is out of print and fetching big bucks on the usual third party marketplaces. What gives, Paramount?

Beamish13 likes this.
  14. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

15. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

I think Dersu Uzala is finally coming out on Blu in the near future. It needed a restoration from Mosfilm, who kept the original elements, as it was a Soviet/Japanese coproduction

Dave Garrett likes this.
  16. Diva (1981)
    The Small Back Room (1948)
    The Abyss (1989)
    Solaris (2001)
    Mulholland Drive (4k master)
    Marguerite (2014) - with English subs, please!

17. Have you got or seen the Umbrella Entertainment Region B of "Jean De Florette"? I am tempted but I have no idea how good the PQ is. Mind you, it's only £6 on Amazon so.........

18. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

Not a movie per se, but the documentary "It Came From Hollywood!" is long overdue for a DVD release, let alone Blu-Ray. Thankfully I have a VHS copy that I got transferred to DVD but it's not the same.

wayneklein likes this.
  19. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

Could be worth a punt for £6 but it'd good to see a review on quality first. Doesn't seem to be a Manon des Sources BR though. Hard to understand why these haven't had a UK release.

20. Well, I've just checked an Australian review and it says (paraphrasing): "the best I've ever seen the film look". I suspect it's the same mastering as the US double-feature release, which isn't without flaws anyway. I'm going to take a punt on the Australian disc anyway. It's a pity Manon Des Sources isn't available even though it is clearly the lesser film. I think it should have been ONE film using Jean De Florette and the best hour of the follow-up edited into the complete film. That would have worked better for me personally as the second film sags a bit and doesn't work successfully as a stand-alone film.

As for why it's not in the UK, well, I don't think there is a great audience for non-English speaking films here and the US market has always had the biggest clout to dictate what should be available for English audiences. Hence why so much more gets released in the US from foreign films / sources, albeit sadly region locked most of the time. We get a raw deal here but maybe we get what we deserve, hey?

sbeck201 likes this.
  21. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Grand Budapest Hotel (Criterion Collection)

22. The Abyss is crawling to a home video release assuming it doesn't fall into a massive crevice on the way.

Films I would like to see in high def:

Night Moves (directed by Arthur Penn)
    The Hidden (a U.S. Release would be lovely and it can easily best the Eiropean release)
    Horror of Dracula (U.S. Release and hopefully better than the Uk in terms of accuracy of the color palette)
    Curse of Frankenstein (An improved transfer over the UK release)
    Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (I think it has a better chance than Babylon 5)
    Phase IV (with the Saul Bass cut recently discovered by Fox-we already an inferior transfer from Olive Films)
    Colossus: The Forbin Project (the European release looks like an upscaled mess)

23. That film has so many rights issues I don't know if they would release it simply because of the amount of time and money it would cost vs. sales. It would, however, be nice.

sloaches likes this.
  24. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

A Night in Casablanca
    Avalon (1990)

25. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I cant wait for the Bond films to come out in 4K :magoo:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.