2016 Paul McCartney compilation album - "Pure McCartney" *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KaptKopter, Mar 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

The vinyl box is now in the top 50 of sales as well when I looked a little while ago-it now says only 20 copies left. Did Amazon not think the vinyl box would sell a ton? The 4 CD set is #5 now on Amazon as well, and the 2 CD set is #99.

2. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

We All Stand Together over Tug of War and Take It Away.

Bananas really. :laugh:

rstamberg likes this.
  3. SF Georgie

SF Georgie Forum Resident

McCartney: How many minutes can I fit in a cd?
    I'm not sure, let me see. I think 74 or something like that.

One would think that McCartney has played enough CDs to be aware that it's 80 min. Sometimes I understand that one compiles a playlist to be effective & can be cheapened if it was unnecessarily longer. This is different because you have 320 minutes of space to play with.

4. Wingsfan2012

I have been always tempted to get Beatles related releases on SHM from Japan. Any feedback on SHM Beatles related CD's on here? I know the 4 CD and 2 CD "Pure McCartney" are in the SHM-CD format.

rstamberg likes this.
  5. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Wow hearing Early Days after Uncle Albert sure emphasizes how much his voice has changed!

yellowballoon likes this.
  6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

74? None of the CDs are that long!!

Brand new Paul McCartney compilation album - "Pure McCartney" * ยป

7. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

UUGH I haven't play it yet, why did you tell me that ? As I skip Early Days...SKIP

8. Wingsfan2012

I think Paul even said he was not happy with the vocals on "Early Days" and to clear them up a bit but was talked into leaving it alone.

9. yellowballoon

Fire that yes man!

Tord, Mamunia, Mickey2 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Wingsfan2012

Now if I remember it is mentioned on the "NEW" bonus DVD-it might have been producer Ethan Johns- he wanted a "raw" vocal on it? Correct me if I am wrong people..lol

11. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Yep! He said he thought the vocals fitted the subject matter, although I'm paraphrasing. I wish he kept his rough sound, but went back and cleared it up a bit. It's not bad at all, enjoyable, maybe not in the middle of songs where is voice is better(whether that be Uncle Albert or Queenie Eye from NEW)

theMess likes this.
  12. yellowballoon

Every one of the ****in producers on that album were yes men. Sorry just had to say it. Or better yet, "How many REAL producers does it take to tell Paul he can't sing anymore "?

13. Wingsfan2012

We have to remember that the man is mid 70's now and any vocals of his we should be thankful for..lol. Either in studio or live. Better than no new material or miming..:hide:. Rock on Paul- old vocal chords and all!

14. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

My copy just arrived, as I said in the Pet Sounds thread a day when there are releases my The Beach Boys and Macca is a work holiday IMO. Had the Kinks 'Showbiz Legacy Edition come out today instead of last week I'd probably be in shock righ now...:laugh:

I ordered the 4 CD set, haven't opened it yet, haven't opened anything yet actually, just basking in the glow of all these discs... The Pure Macca set is the size of the "New" 2 CD deluxe edition, only thicker. I think I'm going to stare at the cover some more, look into Paul's eyes, the deadlights, and wait for Pennywise...:p

On a side note I am a bit let down that even on a completely solo Paul release they still use his Beatle work to adversise the set, the sticker says "Paul McCartney's personal playlist of songs from his long and winding solo career. Over 4 hours of music". Not a big deal but I think they could sell the set without referencing "The Long And Winding Road".

Yorick, theMess, Skywheel and 2 others like this.
  15. Wingsfan2012

Some would argue the last non-"yes man" to produce a Paul album was Hugh Padgham on "Press To Play". For many (unlike me) it is a weak Paul album. To this day, Padgham says very little about Paul or the album!

16. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

Nah...

Just tried to do it quickly. The first time I looked at it, I swore "Another Day" was on it, but then when I started trying to count things, and list the differences I was having a hard time spotting it (in part because the new box isn't chronological)

17. yellowballoon

Chaos was a good example of some ass kicking in the studio too.

18. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I enjoy his vocals now, especially Early Days, I wish he wouldn't hide his voice in effects in songs like 'I Can Bet'. I love it, and want more of it(I hope the next album is soon!!)

19. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Wouldn't a yes man have said, "Absolutely Paul, if you want to redo it let's redo it"?

20. yellowballoon

Enjoying the remastered sound on the new set on Press to Play Tracks.

theMess, Clanceman and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  21. Wingsfan2012

Ok lets hear it- how do they sound? I should be working but am on here instead. Fun day! Long long wait of a Paul post-Beatles box is finally here-flaws and all which is more than fine by me!

[​IMG]

22. yellowballoon

You'll love the London Town tracks

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  23. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

A producer who tells Paul he should accept the voice he has and not try to artificially clean it up because it suits the song is NOT a yes man. He's a good producer telling an artist the truth. That you don't like the result is up to you. I happen to like the result. Likewise New is filled with great songs so if those producers were "yes" men, then they did an excellent job on much of that album.

24. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

"Pipes of Peace" kind of shocks me as being on a Wings oriented collection. I guess the same could be said for the two versions of "No More Lonely Nights"... I'll forgive the other earlier material (i.e. anything from "Ram").

I guess Paul defines "Wings" in his mind as anything after the Beatles but prior to Linda's death.

I know he had some eyes rolling when he toured in the 2000s and continuously made an announcement about a RAM track being played "for all the Wings fans"

25. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

Well, Best Buy, Fry's and Target did not have the 4CD set for sale in-store.

But...

CD Trader did - Yeah! $34.99 but my CD Trader card was full so got it for $29.43 including tax - more Yeah! (Thank you, Kip! - Hoorah! - what the heck, cue Jethro Tull)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.