2016 Paul McCartney compilation album - "Pure McCartney" *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KaptKopter, Mar 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

There are at least a couple of threads covering The Beatles' SHM-CDs around here ...

2. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Very pleased to come home from work to find this awaiting me.

[​IMG]

I'm not going to get into the tracklist. It does the job for me as a nice Paul playlist. Shame the vinyl couldn't match the track listing of the deluxe though.
    Considering I got into vinyl fairly recently, with the exception of SOS, Tug of War and Pipes of Peace tracks, this is the first time I own much of this on vinyl. So that's a plus to me. I also love the packaging and design, although its curious that the photos on the sleeves suggest a chronological collection, which isn't the case.

I almost cancelled the order for the deluxe cd, to get a download instead. Especially since when they were first listed, I didn't think I'd be able to afford both. But in the end the price came down, and it worked out at the same price as iTunes. So might as well get a physical copy. Hope I don't regret that.

This set leaves me with two things:
    1. Hurry up with the Red Rose Speedway / Wild Life / London Town (edit: & Flaming Pie! having just heard 'Songs We Were Singing') archive reissues.
    2. Any chance of 'Rare McCartney' or 'Live McCartney' sets in the future to complement this and the archive series?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    JeffreyB, Yorick, theMess and 3 others like this.
  3. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Makes me wonder if Paul forgot the song he wrote for a movie that starred Chevy Chase. I can't remember it myself. Must've been around 1985. No wonder why it wasn't included on Pure McCartney. :laugh:

We All Stand Together also over Once Upon A Long Ago? That's definitely the better of Paul's two U.S. unreleased singles from the 80's.

4. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Nice box set. Fair enough personal/random selection. I don't think he really has a clue about what he's done after the Beatles. I will enjoy it for what there is. :D

5. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

I know what I paid for the 4 CD set when I purchased it this week.

What I don't know is if the price was much higher at some point.

Anyone know the highest "pre-order" price Amazon listed ?

I did notice the price didn't seem to jump up after the street date arrived.

And when did Friday become the release date for music ????

I have a Van Morrison pre-order coming today. My memory is new music was always historically released on Tuesday.

I guess the new trend is to compete with movie release day ???

6. toptentwist

I prefer the b-side to "Once Upon a Long Ago".

The first MacManus/McCartney song to hit the stores ("Back On My Feet")

"Once Upon A Long Ago" seems lost in my mind in a haze of oldies tracks that arrived almost two years before the "Choba B CCCP" album

I think I got two twelve inch singles with two oldies tracks on the flip side. One had an "extended" version of "Once Upon A Long Ago", and the other had a "long" version of the same title. They weren't the same edit or mix.

I can't remember if I also bought a 7 inch single. Looking at discogs.com, I don't think I bought the 7 inch because the two twelve inch singles had four tracks.

But looks like the 7 inch would have had a third variation on the same track (with respect to running time and mix).

More than anything, that's why I mentally erased that song in my mind : too much collector fatigue.

I bought the two 12" records for the oldies songs... enjoyed the collaboration with Elvis Costello and I got brain freeze trying to figure out if one of the three variations on the other song was the "true" version.

mrjinks likes this.
  7. SixOClockBoos

Sometime in July of last year I think is when it became official. I was confused on why the Tug and Pipes reissues were due to come out on Friday last year and the Venus and Sound reissues came out on a Tuesday in 2014.

8. SixOClockBoos

There's also a fourth variant of Once Upon A Long Ago. I think it's mix released on All The Best.

9. toptentwist

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Curse you marketing genius types

mrjinks likes this.
  10. SF Georgie

SF Georgie Forum Resident

I'm thinking that he could've made it Wingspan + post mid-80s, but then fans would complain that it should've just been the latter since they likely have Wingspan. Paul avoided that by changing some of the Wingspan songs. If he would've added more Wings songs to that set, then it might overshadow what he did after, but didn't think many of his later songs were worthy either.

11. resistanceisfutile

resistanceisfutile Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Went into my local brick and mortar store today to purchase the 4 CD set. Couldn't find it in the racks filed under McCartney, so I asked if it was in stock at the counter. The guy looked it up on his computer and verified that they had two copies. After several minutes of the employee looking around, they were finally found in the music DVD section...filed under "P".

Yorick, longdist01, mrjinks and 3 others like this.
  12. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I've read an interview with Padgham. The trio of McCartney, Eric Stewart and Padgham didn't seem to work very well together and he regarded "Press to Play" among his least favorite productions. It was not a happy period. Well, one thing is to work on an album, another is for me to listen to it. I love the press. :)

CDC and theMess like this.
  13. toptentwist

The times are close enough 4:06 versus 4:12 where I think it might just be a different person using a stop watch to declare the end of the song over.

But I trust that its probably something more fundamental and I'm learning this way after the fact.

I see the blue 12" single with the extended version has a timing that's not close to the others (coming in over 6 minutes)

I think that version sounds the wierdest listening to it.

14. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I know. And count me in among those who believe his cracked voice fit the subject matter--which makes it easier to overlook his less than stellar , aged voice.

fallbreaks and theMess like this.
  15. SixOClockBoos

I think that the name Wingspan was a clever pun because the compilation is mainly Wings songs but also includes some of his solo stuff after Wings and it's the "Wingspan" his career (well almost all of it). Now for Wing's Greatest, why is Another Day and Uncle Albert on it? It's not Wings material. That space could've been used for Listen To What The Man Said and a song like Give Ireland Back To The Irish or Letting Go.

16. toptentwist

Of course... that's how most mp3 players sort... Dylan under "B" ( next to Springsteen... also under "B")

17. SixOClockBoos

There's a 4:12, 4:34, 6:06 and 4:09. Apparently they all contain a different ending (or in the 6:06 case, a different beginning).

18. jacden

jacden Senior Member

The album version of "Once Upon A Long Ago" fades out with a guitar solo. The single has a repeat of the chorus instead. Otherwise they're identical mix-wise.

19. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Haven't visited this thread in awhile.

I dismissed this release as one for the less than casual fan.

Now that's it's released, I don't want to miss out. I have most everything, including all the deluxe editions.

But, I saw your post in the BB thread, came over here & you have me leaning. Still debating - 'do I need this?' - remastered sound, photos, Maccas own favorite playlist? Hmmm

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  20. toptentwist

"the album version" being the UK track list version of "All The Best" - correct ?

discogs.com lists both CD and LP versions of "All The Best" as having identical times for that song

I realize that discogs is not the best source - if differences are minor. But sometimes there are notes at the bottom of a discogs entry with details for a specific release.

But its a great spot to start looking for variations.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Yes, correct.

22. New Release Day changed to Fridays last year. .

23. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

This is pretty close to perfect. Since everyone's a critic, I'll note for the record that I would have added "Not Such a Bad Boy" and a couple more songs from Flowers, but that's truly nitpicking. If this had been the actual tracklisting, I doubt there would be any complaints. Good on ya.

daveidmarx likes this.
  24. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I'm playing box set disc one now. I think it's a nice flow although there are decades between recordings and various performances. Pure Songwriter. :)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    supermd and theMess like this.
  25. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Yes, but let's be serious. Despite "contributions" from others--especially Danny Laine--I believe most people considered "Wings" to be Paul McCartney. Same with "Paul & Linda McCartney,"At least when it came to the studio. Live concerts were a different story. But in the studio, it's all McCartney.
    Pure McCartney.

Lewisboogie and theMess like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.