Teenage Fanclub Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wayneklein, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

I always thought it was very touching that there's a minute's silence after "Gene Clark", before the hidden tracks.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    wayneklein, zobalob and levi like this.
  2. trumpet sounds

trumpet sounds "The radio makes hideous sounds." Bob Dylan

Songs from Northern Britain

3. sami

sami Mono still rules

The Fanclub's run of albums from Bandwagonesque through Songs From Northern Britain was as good as what I like to call 'pop 'n' roll' ever got, and were four of the great records of the '90's. Absolutely timeless music that I'd love to see get reissued properly on vinyl.

4. Tom34772

Tom34772 Forum Resident

My mistake -- Britain.

My apologies,
    Tom

zobalob likes this.
  5. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

Yeah in my experience these guys have gems even on their weakest albums (and I kind of feel there are few of those)

6. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Great Tune...:righton:

Claxton likes this.
  7. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

A rare case where a band have never made a bad album: Man-Made, Shadows, Howdy. All rock solid.
    Perhaps only the contractually obliged and deleted The King back in the early 90s is patchy, but even that had covers of Interstellar Overdrive and Like a Virgin!

8. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

A really great band. 'Songs from Northern Britain' is my favourite album of theirs, but there were some sensational tracks from those sessions that came out as b-sides, like 'Middle of the Road' and 'He'd Be a Diamond'. In general, they're a fantastic b-side band, and there are a LOT of them to mop up.

In related news, a while back I ordered a bunch of stuff from a seller at Discogs, and he couldn't find one of the items, so he refunded me and sent me some extra stuff in compensation. One of the bonus discs was a compilation album I'd never heard of called 'Shoeshine Chartbusters' (see here - http://www.discogs.com/Various-Shoeshine-Chartbusters/master/361366 ). Shoeshine Records was Teenage Fanclub's hobby label from the mid-90s, and this compilation collects most of their early singles and several unreleased tracks. Heavy Teenage Fanclub involvement on just about everything, with several of the acts included being side projects (Francis MacDonald's Speedboat and Radio Sweethearts) or pseudonyms (Astro Chimp, Frank Blake). Great stuff, and all from the prime Grand Prix / Songs from Northern Britain period. Thanks, Discogs guy!

granata, Man at C&A and lightbulb like this.
  9. wayneklein

I assume that's a compliment. :)

10. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

Songs From Northern Britain is just about perfect. Oh, those harmonies.

I'm a fan of the Fannies.

Lightworker and trumpet sounds like this.
  11. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

I flat-out love this band! Agreed that the first two real albums (A Catholic Education and Bandwagonesque) are at the loud (and Neil Young-y) end of the spectrum (As is the "God Knows It's True" EP!) But Thirteen, Grand Prix, Songs From Northern Britain are all worth hearing, if not owning in physical form. (Still got the U.S. CDs, myself) And aside from the rotating cast of drummers, the songwriting core of TF is still together 25 years later. Yes, there are a few '90s bands still plying the boards, but the Fannies can and do deliver in style. And Shadows (from 2010) stands right there with the albums I named above. Pleased to hear a new one is coming in the fall!

12. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

i love this band and still regret not seeing them at the 9:30 club a few years back. I have most of the albums and this thread motivated me to put Grand Prix on the turntable. Awesome!

13. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

This is why I love it the most.

Tom34772 likes this.
  14. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

My favourite modern band.

Lightworker and Man at C&A like this.
  15. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Longtime fan here... Grand Prix and Songs From NB get my tie-vote.

I'll just toss in a mention for Norman Blake and Joe Pernice's outfit, The New Mendicants. Their lone album is sweet... the Aussie EP is also worth having.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(don't forget to floss...)

Lightworker, wayneklein and Mother like this.
  16. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Yes that New Mendicants album Into the Lime (2014), with the great Norman Blake, and the great Joe Pernice, is indeed super. Bursting with melodies.

Lightworker and lightbulb like this.
  17. rendit

rendit Forum Resident

December and Guiding Star from Bandwagonesque - for me these two tracks are the ultimate in dreamy shoegaze-infused power pop. Has any other band managed to produce a track in this style which matches these two?

18. DwarfMcDougal

DwarfMcDougal Forum Resident

Seems there will be a new album soon, looking at Norman's twitter account. Any gossip?

19. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

One of the greatest british band ever in my opinion , huge fan and nice folks
    it breaks my heart when i see countless deluxe reissues of mediocre albums by mediocre bands when their masterpieces are ignored
    as said above , so many great b sides and cover songs as well
    where is the box set ?

Lightworker and trumpet sounds like this.
  20. wayneklein

Or as I like to refer to it GREAT Britain.

21. wayneklein

Indeed, it would be nice to see a deluxe issue with all their b-sides, one shot tracks, etc. Available.

22. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

New Teenage Fanclub Track. rather forgettable which is most unlike the Fannies.

hutlock likes this.
  23. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Diminishing returns for quite some time. I never even bothered with the last album. Kinda sad since they meant a lot to me in the 90s.

24. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

I loved Shadows. Man Made too. That's going back a few years now.

Marty T likes this.
  25. NotebookWriter

NotebookWriter Forum Resident

I get the impression that Bandwagonesque is ground zero for a lot of people. It's definitely the one I heard first. I think A Catholic Education from 1990 is every bit as tuneful as Bandwagonesque, only sludgier. This might be my favourite of theirs:

John Porcellino likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.