What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jun 6, 2016.

1. StarDoG

StarDoG Forum Resident

The myth that Bob Holness played the sax on Baker Street was started by the DJ Stuart Maconie in his NME days. He also tried to start a rumour that, Neil Tennant from The Pet Shop Boys was a fully qualified Rugby league referee. The Bob Holness myth lives on though, it is now claimed that the song Baker Street was played at his funeral.

2. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

:laugh:
    ICYDK, that guy is Troy Aikman (ex-Cowboys QB)

3. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

The first time I saw it, I thought it was Freddy Mercury! Then I looked closer and recognized Aikman.

4. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

If you discount Sting's later collaboration with Stewart/Adams on "All For Love," you can also add that "All This Time" was the title of the last solo top ten single for both artists on the Hot 100....

Hammerpeg, mosogotamravip and BadJack like this.
  5. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Is there any more info on Eno not "looking too good" after his stint in Germany? I gathered there was potentially some weirdness with Harmonia, but didn't know any specifics.

Ken Wood likes this.
  6. StarDoG

StarDoG Forum Resident

Runicen.... There's one of the documentaries about the scene in Germany where they talk to some of the Harmonia mob and others and it seems, Eno left with several hours of tapes that ahem..... showed up in various forms without their knowledge. I'm a big fan of Eno's work however, seems he was a bit of a naughty boy at times, around the mid 70s.

7. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Sub 37, Jimmy B., fr in sc and 6 others like this.
  9. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Perhaps surprisingly, in 1995 Iggy Pop had a short article published in a scholarly Classics journal.
    And here it is... Classics Ireland »

Probably my favourite Iggy story concerns a time in 1973 when Iggy and the Stooges were holed up in a Hollywood Hills mansion, paid for by Bowie's management, but unable to tour or play live. (They'd been told to wait until after Raw Power was released, in order to build up demand... which never really came... but anyway...)

In 1988 Iggy told this story to his bass player Alvin Gibbs...
    After being up all night on a frightening combination of illegal substances Iggy decided he was hungry. He turned on the gas oven, grabbed a couple of burgers and knelt to put them in. At this point he realised he need a match to light the gas, but experienced some kind of muscular seizure. Unable to move, kneeling in front of the gas oven with a burger in each hand, Iggy knew that before long the gas would render him unconscious and, as his head was bound to fall into the oven, when he was found it would look like suicide.
    Fortunately before any of this could occur someone smelt gas and rescued him.
    But if they hadn’t, mused Iggy, how weird would it have looked, and "what the f*** would they have made of the burgers?"

10. M321115

M321115 Forum Resident

And the name of that Wizard? Albert Einstein.

fr in sc likes this.
  11. RBtl

RBtl Forum Resident

At about the time Davy Jones was the Artful Dodger on Broadway, Phil Collins was the Artful Dodger in the West End.

fr in sc and bluejeanbaby like this.
  12. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Is that "Krautrock: Germany's Rebirth?" Love that doc. It did sound a little weird the way they talked about those tapes, but I couldn't tell if it was unauthorized or if the Harmonia guys didn't care too much either way. The way they made it sound was that he brought tapes, recorded some stuff, and that was about it. It didn't sound like it went the whole way around to profiting without sending some cash their way. Then again, I'm also guessing that it amounted to the "Tracks and Traces" album, which is phenomenal. I half wonder if the Cluster & Eno album was from those same recordings...

Ken Wood likes this.
  13. StarDoG

StarDoG Forum Resident

Yes that's the one and by all accounts you are right about those albums seeing the light of day eventually however, there were many hours of tape and from what I've heard some of the ideas motifs and riffs etc turned up elsewhere. You're right that they did tend to have "c'est la vie" attitude about it all however, I do get a little miffed that that group of artists are often "written out" of musical history as a footnote when they were a massive influence on music then and now. The Germans were doing "indie labels" years before punk and where would Joy Division be without... err. well..... if Zep can be done for Stairway... come on Neu ought to be...

14. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Johnny Rotten appeared in ads on TV for 'Country Life' butter. Not what you'd expect!

Also not absurb more very lucky he had a ticket on the Pan Am Lockerbie disaster 747 but missed the flight. I think he overslept.

(I flew to the States on the same day but from Gatwick.)

pablo fanques and Ken Wood like this.
  15. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

As did The Four Tops, who overslept and missed the flight.

And Be Bop Deluxe/Cockney Rebel bass player Paul Jeffreys, who was not so fortunate, and was one of the many passengers killed in the bombing.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  16. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

Very sad about Paul Jeffreys & the other souls on the flight. RIP
    When I arrived in San Diego that night all the TVs in the airport bar had the Live night time footage, it was madness, I was in total shock.

17. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

On a lighter (and related) note, Johnny Rotten was Ari Up's stepfather.

18. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Ah yeah, if he was using the material in his own stuff, that's particularly uncool. I wonder if he justified it in terms of, "I'm helping them by attaching my name to them, so they won't mind if I take this bit of melody..." Eno seems like a pretty solid guy, but everyone has their learning curve.

19. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Believe it or not my wife just came in and asked if I had any white-out.
    I told her to go ask Bette Graham.

fr in sc likes this.
  20. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Barry White and Gene Pitney both wrote songs for the Banana Splits.

21. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

Tony Curtis, David Bowie and Mick Jagger were friends in the Summer of 1980.
    A school friend's dad was a hairdresser to the stars and the three of them were at his dads flat on the Chelsea Embankment, near Sloane Square in Summer of 1980.
    My friend & I arrived at his dads flat soon after they left unfortunately.
    I notice Tony Curtis liked David Bowie's music early as he was briefly interviewed arriving at the concert on Ziggy Stardust the movie.
    My friends dad cut the Beatles hair & the list of stars could be endless. Well known movie hairdresser too.
    ps
    I never got to meet any of the stars, sorry!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    Ken Wood likes this.
  22. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

That's totally crazy...one of those lucky breaks like Eric Clapton missing Stevie Ray Vaughan's helicopter, or Seth MacFarland missing Flight 11 on 9/11.

deany76 likes this.
  23. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Actually the song is High Voltage and it's true.

andrewskyDE and Jimmy B. like this.
  24. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Yep, already noted. I was thinking of the documentary where I learned it was High Voltage, so I typed Long Way instead of the correct answer.

25. Confuseacat

Confuseacat Forum Resident

Two different bands are both claiming that they are about to release the 4th English Beat studio album.

The English Beat starring Dave Wakeling says that they are releasing their 4th studio album this year, entitled "Here We Go Love".

The (English) Beat featuring Ranking Roger says that they are releasing their 4th studio album this year, entitled "Bounce".

vince likes this.