I want to pick up New Order's catalog on CD (up to Technique): please advise!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norm Apter, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeventhTime

SeventhTime Well-Known Member

I might just do that, I decoded my old one with pre emphasis but the centredate one sounds better than that, I'll be very happy if the Quest sounds even better.

2. SeventhTime

Another interesting thing to note, the quest technique has a greater dynamic range than the factory pressing. The factory and remaster are the same DR wise, obviously with EQ differences.

I personally like the Quest best

c-eling likes this.
  3. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

I have an early import of Low-Life. To be honest, very murky fidelity. Washed out, grey tonal balance some CDs of the 80s have. I have a cassette that sounds way better.

4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

What import of Low-life?, you need to be more specific...
    I have never heard a 'murky' low-life, bright, if your not properly adding the correct eq to the pre-emphasis discs...

5. Phasecorrect

UK import CD, believe it was the Factory pressing. To be fair, the remaster is nothing special, so the master tape probably is the culprit. Great performances though. My fave NO recording despite the flaws.

c-eling likes this.
  6. c-eling

No clue
    I have the US Qwest, Japan for UK Factory-pre-emphasis, Australian Disctronics-pre-emphasis
    And a UK MPO lp press, I find no murkiness in any of them, actually sound very nice, the one I can't confirm is a UK Nimbus, which carries pre-emph also, but it should carry the same mastering as the Japan
    If you don't like these you won't like the vinyl, they are quite comparable...
    I haven't had the US Qwest cassette in decades...

7. SeventhTime

I did a blind test last night comparing the corrected 2009 Low Life and the Quest US one from the 80s, volume levelled and everything, and the differences really aren't that much at all.

I was able to pick the differences accurately only sometimes, Perfect Kiss sounds a bit too bright on the Quest one and Love Vigilantes is given a bit more rounded base on the remaster too, which I prefer.

I was hard pressed to tell much difference with This Time Of Night, but preferred the Quest Sunrise.

I think you would be a bit nuts though if you claimed one was miles better than the other IMO. Volume levelled a lot of differences people talk about in general on here seem very minor.

jamesc and c-eling like this.
  8. Phasecorrect

I think u answered your own question . Whatever is readily available at a fair price is the best advice. Spotify features the remasters but I also have original 80s CDs.

9. c-eling

Low-Life for me is the exception, I can tolerate it. I personally don't enjoy the added compression... I didn't think the others fair as well
    You are spot on with your old US Qwest, it is brighter than the 'pre-emphasis' compact discs

10. SeventhTime

Well it was more observations that I was making than a question I asked.

More that I think people often make too much of very tiny differences which are often only noticed if you're really looking for them.

Also the DR on Low Life remaster is between 9 and 11, whereas the original is 11-13. Hardly worth shooting anyone over. Many of Steve's remasters fall into that range.

11. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

I'm fine with the (corrected!) expanded editions, but I kept the Factory "Movement", because The Him is missing a microsecond or two on the reissue, and it's a seminal track for me. Maybe it's my ears, but it sounds like the last keyboard note is interrupted.

12. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

On Qobuz they have 2015 remasters by Rhino. Which are these/how do they sound?

13. c-eling

New ones Token, more compressed than the last batch, some have claimed an improvement on 'Republic' , I'm happy with my old US Qwest so I didn't mess with it
    Get Ready, was the one I was most interested in, but out of the whole series (The one title that actually needed some help) was skipped, they even lied about it on the vinyl issue...

George P, jamesc and TokenGesture like this.
  14. SeventhTime

Isn't Senses missing a bit of the beginning on all the original cd issues but corrected on the remaster?

15. c-eling

As far as I know... My old US Disctronics is missing the beginning second
    No biggie, the sound is incredible

16. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Factus or Qwest?

17. c-eling

Factus US #03 press, (I've had it since the 90's) I however have no clue what the other US editions sound like, I would think they are all the same...
    Actually have a Qwest en-route...

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Speaking of Republic, I heard "Regret" in public last night, between innings at Fenway Park!!

Rarely hear the Order out among the unwashed masses, unless it is Blue Monday, BLT, or True Faith! :D

19. George P

George P Notable Member

I LOVE Regret!

jsayers, c-eling and JeffMo like this.
  20. HiFi Guy 008

I haven't seen any Factus version listed with a #03 in the matrix.
    What else is in the matrix of your Factus? Those suckers are rare.

Here's the first Factus version, with links to the latter two:
    https://www.discogs.com/New-Order-Movement/release/1314882

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  21. c-eling

No, It's the 3rd released, The 'Disctronics' press, yeah I've never come across the first two...

22. HiFi Guy 008

You mean this one? (although there's no "#03" in the matrix:
    • Matrix / Runout: FACTUS50CDT MADE BY DISCTRONICS (H) W.O. 8541T-2
    https://www.discogs.com/New-Order-Movement/release/1314882

23. c-eling

24. HiFi Guy 008

There seems to be a unique mastering (according to DR) on the first US Factus cd.
    But I don't always trust DR numbers.
    Album details - Dynamic Range Database »

This first Factus pressing, with the slightly higher DR values than any other, is going for over $100.00 on Discogs. (Note that the lower priced cds are not nec. the first pressings.)

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1314882?ev=rb

Interesting thing is that all of the pre-remasters from the UK, and US Factus - except for that first Factus pressing - have exactly the same DR values.

The original UK has pre-emphasis. Yet has the same DR as the later 2000 CentreDate pressings. And the second and third Factus pressing.

There's no listing for the Qwest version yet.

I'm curious if your pressing has pre-emphasis.

Album list - Dynamic Range Database »

25. c-eling

Good catch on the early pressings, they may have pre-emphasis, once the proper eq has been added it will drop the DR value
    Mine does not have pre-emphasis, maybe why it was re-pressed again so quickly
    I should have the Qwest in a couple days, but thinking it will match mine, since it is a later pressing
    Thing is, why 3 different Factus issue's of Movement right after each other...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.