Is Denny Laine really on Wings Wild Life album ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, for some reason, this thread comes back to life in the month of June. So we have about 2 weeks left before the thread goes dormant until June 2017.... ;)

ccbarr, theMess and zelox like this.
  2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I clearly see him on the album cover..... :agree::D

3. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

I wonder....

If Paul had opened the album screaming "Bip Bop" at the top of his lungs, shredding his throat like John did at the end of "Mother" would Wild Life be given the same level of respect as POB? An atom bomb sound effect after "Some People Never Know", concluding the album with a short version of "Dear Friend" with all frequencies below 1khz cut, and there, Paul has his own high-art, statement album. ;)

theMess and Fullbug like this.
  4. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

I can't put my finger on it exactly, but this photo gives me the creeps. That's a lot of testosterone for one photo. Talk about a sausage party . . . :yikes:

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I would - man, would I argue with that!

"Wild Life" wasn't even Paul's best album from 1971!

6. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Creepy? Really? Well, how about them playing billiards together, from the same evening? Would that help? :laugh:

[​IMG]

theMess likes this.
  7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I find your comment creepy.

numer9 likes this.
  8. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

:laughup: That's so funny. Strangely enough, even with sticks and balls, these photos are easier to look at. :agree:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  9. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
    Can't you just hear it, though? "BIIIIIIIPPPP BOOOOPPPPPP!!!!!! BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPP BOOOOOOPPPPPPP!!!!!! BIIIIIIIP BOOOPPPP BIIIIPPPP BOOOPPPP BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMM!!!!!!"
    You got that right!:righton:

theMess and Oatsdad like this.
  10. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

didn't imagine come out in sept?..or even october, paul would have had time to hear and feel the lyrics you mention

11. slane

slane Forum Resident

Not really, as the Wild Life sessions took place in July and August.

12. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

yep..sorry....not thinking clearly....i too always thought that line was related to SPNK. (now eye know). thanks

13. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

OK here are the facts (that we know):
    "Some People Never Know" was at least partially written in 1969 and then demoed in 1970 (May - Aug) up in Scotland then possibly worked on again during the "Ram" sessions (Oct 1970 - March 1971). It is not known what lyrics it had by this stage. It was then presumably recorded for "Wild Life" in Late July 1971 (with possible overdubs done in August).
    "How Do You Sleep" was recorded on May 26 1971 (With George Harrison present)
    The "Imagine" album was released Sept 9 1971 (US) and Oct 8 1971 (UK). Test pressings (if there were any) would have come out in very late August (in the US).
    It is unlikely Paul heard "How Do You Sleep" before he recorded "Some People.." in late July but I'm sure he'd heard it by the first week of September and then if any overdubbing continued into Sept/Oct (which is possible as the album "Wild Life" didn't get released till early December) it is possible Paul could have re-recorded some vocals for "Some People.." to make reference to "How Do you Sleep". But until we get the "Wild Life" archive set and it has all the exact recording details we will just have to speculate.

Hep Alien, theMess and slane like this.
  14. slane

slane Forum Resident

Alternatively, John's song might have referenced Paul's (older) song somehow (if he was aware of it). But it's all just speculation for now, and probably just coincidence.

Even if Paul did re-record new vocals for SPNK though, I don't think the lyrics were changed - on one middle eight the lead vocals drop out, leaving only the original guide vocal in the background (no doubt from the initial tracking session), and that seems to have the same lyrics as far as I can tell.

theMess likes this.
  15. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

There's no need to wait. 'Some People Never Know' was tracked on July 25th, 1971 and mixed on October 10th, 1971. For what it's worth, John played the Imagine LP for seemingly every journalist that crossed the threshold at Tittenhurst Park while they were plugging the reissue of Yoko's Grapefruit in mid-July 1971.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

16. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Chip, if you have more exact recording dates information for the McCartney stuff that hasn't still been reissued within the Archive collection, or the many known outtakes from that era, you would make many people here extremely happy if you'd share it with us!

17. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

There goes my theory! ;) Thanks for the info on the recording dates, that pretty much shows that Paul wouldn't know about HDYS. I don't think I owned Luca's book yet when I posted that, I see it was from about a year ago. Actually I don't even know what the hell I meant when I said that JPGR could "veto" tracks on each others solo albums on Apple. :imwithstupid:

I'm thinking that I meant that if a song got very specific, like if John got pissed off and included Paul's current (at the time) home phone number or something in a song, or if JPGR really insulted one of the others wife or kids in a song. But even then I don't think any of the 4 could stop an album from coming out, and in Paul's case Apple's office is the last place he wanted to be at the time, so as you said I don't think he'd know what songs the other 3 guys were working on.

18. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I don't know if this is true, but it was reported in 1973 that the phone number George recites at the end of "Miss O'Dell" (Carson 6902) was Paul's Liverpool phone number.

rstamberg likes this.
  19. slane

slane Forum Resident

Garston 6922

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    Arnold Grove and Calico like this.
  20. Arnold Grove

On a similar thought:
    I've always wondered if John or Paul told each other that they were going to use some specific songs that theoretically should have been Lennon-McCartney songs but came out on their early respective solo albums. For example, did Paul tell John that he was going to use "Junk" on his first solo LP, even though the Beatles had demoed that song for the White Album (and if released in 1968 would have carried a Lennon-McCartney songwriting credit)? (I do believe that Paul told at least Glyn Johns that he wanted to put "Teddy Boy" on his own solo album, so the Beatles version, later to appear on Anthology 3, got scratched from the Let It Be project in 1970.) Similarly, did John tell Paul that he was going to use "Gimme Some Truth" on the Imagine album. Paul helped out a good deal to get that song into shape during the January 1969 Get Back sessions (so it would have had a Lennon-McCartney credit), and there is even a version of Paul singing lead on it.

Or did they just do it anyway without mentioning it to each other?

Hep Alien and rstamberg like this.
  21. slane

slane Forum Resident

I think that once the solo Lennon/McCartney credits had begun ('Cold Turkey' followed by Badfinger's 'Come And Get It'), there was no going back to crediting each other on songs where the other might have had some input, or even any discussion about it. If they were the primary writer, they probably felt it was theirs to take for solo work.

But I've often wondered if, for instance, when Paul heard the 'Imagine' LP, did he think 'I know half of these songs (or the basis of them) from ages ago'? AFAIK, none of them ever spoke about recognising old songs on the solo albums (the knowledge of which they could have used to have a dig at each others work, if they had wanted to).

22. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

To be fair, Lennon could have said the same thing about, say, "The Backseat Of My Car" or "Another Day" (both of which were worked on during the Get Back sessions) or John or Paul could have said it about at least half of All Things Must Pass:laugh:

I really doubt they cared that much...

23. Arnold Grove

And "Penina" had a solo McCartney credit. The version by Jotta Herre came out BEFORE Abbey Road was released.

Maybe John refused to allow his name to appear on that one... ;)

theMess likes this.
  24. slane

slane Forum Resident

That's what I meant too - 'Imagine' was just an example.

Probably.

25. slane

slane Forum Resident

Right - I didn't think of that one. So was that the first solo credit?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.